Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Liz01

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by Liz01 »

at 8:40:26 Momy

before this visit from Lubana had to have been there a parent. an eaglet has eaten

EDIT:between 8:27 and there was a delivery. No picture in Pontu Snapshot.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Lubana in the sun .... :mrgreen:
She stood there longer, because I have found 3! pictures in Pontu. She was about for 3 minutes since Both eaglets eating :headroll:

EDIT:It is still fish there. Today is a good day for the eaglets :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

one eaglet started investigating the big fish that is lying on the nest. the other is still standing on the front left corner of the nest and looking out.
i didn't get a good picture of the fish but it looked so wide that it's probably a bream.
ame

Post by ame »

13:07 sound of thunder from far...

a minute later wind begins to blow. eaglets look around and listen... both have their beaks half-open. it must be rather warm there.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=334771#p334771 :
Liz01 wrote:good Morning :hi:
at 6:05:17 was the first Fishi delivery. Who took it, i could not see. There were vigorous wrangling.M has won?
The fish was small. Not enough for two
i have now a Pontu clip of this delivery. the food was a fish and Pukite managed to get it after some hard dispute. well done Pukite! :thumbs:
i couldn't get very clear pictures from the video but this gif will give some idea of the struggle which the kids had and one can see the size of the fishie. it wasn't very small. :rolleyes:

at this very moment it begins to rain. there has been rumblings of thunder but not near.
ame

Post by ame »

yesterday morning Makonite was very frustrated when she lost the fishie to Pukite. she whined all the time as Pukite was eating. after the fish was gone (it wasn't very small but not big either) Makonite decided to do something constructive and tried to jump to the left branch. she failed and then she made some wild wing exercises to compensate for it. :D
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=334773#p334773 :
Liz01 wrote:[img http://up.picr.de/18909886wt.jpg /img]
:2thumbsup: I'm still not really awake. stupid World Cup. I dont like football Maybe M?

[img http://up.picr.de/18909890xq.jpg /img]
P? has made begging call, as M hopped down again.

So, i think Miss M was on the branch and P has been eaten fishi :unsure:
yes, Makonite got up on the branch on her second try. :2thumbsup:
she stayed there for nearly a minute. 8-)

7:54 Makonite made some more wing exercises. at tried to get on the branch again but this time she failed. she missed the target partially: she grabbed the branch with her left foot but right foot grabbed the trunk of the tree. :mrgreen:
at about 2 min 27s from the beginning of the clip.
ame

Post by ame »

eaglets are listening to the thunder. i think it is coming closer but it's still not close.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=334810#p334810 :
Liz01 wrote:between 9:14 and 9:15 must have been a food delivery.

[img http://up.picr.de/18910734sj.jpg /img]
The image is of 9:37:34. Maybe there was a delivery yet? :puzzled: Both eat now. Until then, only one has eaten :nod:
9:14 Lubana brought a fish which Pukite again managed to take after hard struggle. this fish wasn't small either. - i didn't find any other delivery before 9:37. maybe Makonite was eating some old food. there are plenty of fishbones in the nest.

Makonite was furious when she had lost the fish to Pukite and Lubana left.

ame

Post by ame »

Makonite whined and squeaked while Pukite was eating her fish. then finally Makonite stole the fish from Pukite! :slap:

after a while Pukite took the fish back from Makonite! :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

the thunder is creeping closer. the last rumble the eaglets greeted with waving wings. :D

ame

Post by ame »

14:27 eagle's calls from forest. maybe Sartas

a Pontu clip. i think it is Sartas who called in the forest (about 2 min 11 s from the beginning).
ame

Post by ame »

14:50 first Sartas called, then both.
thunder is going away.

edit: i think i hear both their voices in this Pontu clip.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, Sartas and Lubana call? Or was it just an eagle? :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

yesterday morning it was sunny and apparently very hot. eaglets had no shadow where to hide from the sun. they stood on the nest turning their backs to the sun and held their wing partly open on their sides in order to dissipate extra body heat. at this time, about 10 am onwards, they were visited by butterflies again like a few days ago, too.

i noticed the butterflies in some Pontu pictures where they were sunbathing on the lower parts of the nest. this Pontu picture was taken at 10:33

to my surprise they can be seen fluttering in Pontu videos, too.

in fact there were at least two butterflies flying around the nest. one of them even landed on Makonites back. :D

i must now draw back my words about these butterflies: i think that they were red admirals (Vanessa atalanta) after all, not poplar admirals. both are big dark butterflies with coloured marking on the upper side of their wings, but the markings of poplar admirals are white while on red admirals the markings are red/orange. the red spots form arches on the wings. together they seem to form almost a red circle on the butterfly when it has its wings wide open.
here's a picture of a red admiral (Vanessa atalanta)

and here a poplar admiral (Limenitis populi). this also has orange spots on the wings, but from a distance i don't think these can be seen well. the orange ring on the red admirals wing on the other hand is a striking pattern, which can be seen from far.

i borrowed these pictures from Luontoportti/Naturegate. there one can identify different animals and plants:
http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/perhoset/

i think i made the confusion partly because previously we have seen poplar admirals at various eagles' nests, and partly because the nest here is an aspen which in Finnish is haapa and poplar admiral is called haapaperhonen in Finnish. perhonen is butterfly in Finnish. thus a butterfly in an aspen is a haapaperhonen.
"It's elementary, dear Watson." :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote:Ame, Sartas and Lubana call? Or was it just an eagle? :puzzled:
i think i heard both their voices, but i can't be sure. at least one (of them) sounded like Sartas. the sound was a little choppy.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

for a little while, they were fasiziniert of this butterfly :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

yes, they were, especially Pukite! :laugh:
it was very difficult to get snapshots of the butterfly but i took some and made a gif. in the end even Makonite noticed the butterfly on her shoulder.

the thunder is getting stronger but it stays far.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=334820#p334820 :
Liz01 wrote:12:38 Lubana made a short visit. Just a few seconds. I have no picture.
kids were disappointed after this visit. i wonder why Lubana came, only for 4s ..?
kids went quite mute after she was gone.
ame

Post by ame »

that last thunder rumble was closer than any so far.
a Pontu clip:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”