Technical Questions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Questions

Post by Felis silvestris »

The idea came from Macdoum, I just looked it up.
Ingran - why don't you just try out all three possibilities and see if one is working for you? But at the moment the camera is in any case not really stable, that's why I have stopped looking for a solution at the moment, as I can't be sure if it's not working because it it not working, or it is because the camera just crashed again. Give the whole thing time, we are at the beginning and the systems have to be taken out of hibernation.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Ingran

Post by Ingran »

Thank you Felis and also thanks to Macdoum. I will try to be patient.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Hi,
can you help me - why can't I get pontu pics, e.g. I try this link (****=http):

****://pontu.eenet.ee/zivju-erglis/2014-04-04/2014-04-04-12-12.jpg

and get message:

404 Not Found
nginx/1.4.7

I get a pic from the example link presented on BS front page - but not by changing any data in the link
:banghead:

(I have Linux Ubuntu)

Last season I had no problems to get pontu pics
Bea

Post by Bea »

At the moment pontu pictures are not accessable for public - there seem to be some things not working with the links to the server, where they are stored.

Hopefully this problem will also be solved as soon as possible.

Cameras are now running continuosly again.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Resetting your Password

Click on "User Control Panel" on top right corner of the forum page

There you click on "Profile" on the left side

On the next page click "Edit account settings"

and here you have reached the page to change your Password:

If you change your E-mail address (also on this page), your account will be temporarily deactivated and has to be newly activated by one of the administrators. Don't worry, this will not take long!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thanks, asteria - now I can at least borrow smileys from your post!
It seems to be a problem with my Linux version update - I am more or less lost with the new layout ... :cry:

I cannot see the avatars either ...
I cannot send PMs either ...

@DEBIANUSER
Please, if you are around, can you support with Linux info?

Why did the LK forums change layout to a peculiar unclear version after I updated Ubuntu day before yesterday?

Unfortunately I don't know how to read PM's either, so if you answer, I wish you do it here on the Technical thread. I managed to get the old full layout here but cannot get it on the discussion/documentation threads ...
debianuser

Post by debianuser »

Try deleting all cache and cookies for this website. On Firefox, you just right click anywhere on the webpage, select "View Page Info" and then in security tab select "View Cookies" and finally in the "Cookies" window you click on "remove all Cookies". On Chrome, you click on the icon before "www.looduskalender.ee..." URL field, select "Show cookies and site data", and then remove cookies for this website.
http://pontu.ca/ Pontu video and picture archive viewer with easy date and camera selection. *Generating Snapshots for most cameras that don't normally take snapshots*
*Note that snapshots generated by me are only stored for 3 days due to disk space limitation on the server.*
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thanks. I just don't understand why the system switches to the mobile mode by itself - I never chose it. Do you think it is Ubuntu that does it - or is it my mobile net connection that does the switching? - It happens without me doing anything, it did it just a moment ago when I opened LK. (There is a button on LK to switch back to full mode and so I get rid of the mobile mode.) I updated Ubuntu to 14.04 LTS on Thursday last week, this problem began to disturb me yesterday.

EDIT: I have a "mobile" net stick connection, but I use laptop, so I don't need any mobile mode. Thankfull if you happen to detect why these mode switches happen ...
debianuser

Post by debianuser »

Mobile/full versions open based on the browser identification string. Did you try opening this page on other browsers?
http://pontu.ca/ Pontu video and picture archive viewer with easy date and camera selection. *Generating Snapshots for most cameras that don't normally take snapshots*
*Note that snapshots generated by me are only stored for 3 days due to disk space limitation on the server.*
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

debianuser wrote:Mobile/full versions open based on the browser identification string. Did you try opening this page on other browsers?
Hi,

No, I have not had any need to use other browser than Firefox. And as I reported my problem messages they seem to have been updated, too - I don't get any more that mobile mode, nor problem messages. I guess it had to do with my Ubuntu update - I got some problem messages after it and the problems seem to be solved now.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

zwiep wrote:Hey everybody,

i have a technical question... For some reason the webcam-link for VCL and Androids (rtsp://193.40.133.138/live/kakk) doesnt work on my smartphone. Does anybody have experiences with that? :puzzled: I would really be happy if i also could have a look at Klaara when i'm not at home.

Thanks for :help: in advance!

I'll take this up once again after many months as in the meantime Videolan brought out at least one new version of their VLC player for Android. I have now their version 0.9.8 on both, my Android smartphone and my Kindle (Fire) and as far as I could make out, the LK cams do work on them now. Anyone who has not yet, should update to this version and try it out again!

ame

Post by ame »

some may remember how i used to complain about the slowness of my web connection in the early spring at the Juras-Erglis nest pages. now my web has become so slow that it almost doesn't work at all. even as simple task as updating a webpage takes sooooo loooong that finally Firefox stops trying. i'm getting so frustrated staring at the little circle going round and round and round and round and .... :banghead:

watching any live camera is now virtually impossible for me: if i get connected the camera crashes in a minute or so, after being stop& go and giving green flashes or just a grey screen before that. tist has made me realize that i won't be able to watch any nestings next spring if i won't be able to get some really serious improvement to my connection. the present connection is supposed to be 4G but it often drops to 3G though... and just last year i was able to watch even two cameras at the same time and upload pictures and videos at the same time. now even opening the 'post a reply' window took a minute. :slap:

i suspect that the data transmission has become so sticky because so many more people have smart phones and watch TV and films on-line. could this be the reason for the slowness? i've noticed that the speed of transmission drops dramatically at about 5 pm (latest) on weekdays, and on weekends (like now) it is quite impossible to get anywhere. :bash:

our internet provider promises us a 4G connection with speed of 10 Mbits/s maximum which in practice will be, as they promise, about 0.4-8 Mbit/s. i have made speed tests and normally i get about 2 Mbits/s but sometimes even the speed test itself collapses because it takes too much time. :faint:

we are planning to change our operator and now i need to know what is the minimum speed we'll need. so i was wondering if anyone of you knows how much data traffic it makes to watch a live stream like a nest camera, without breaks and stop&go picture and sound. knowing this would give us a minimum speed limit to look after. earlier i was able to watch live cams without big problems but now it is out of my reach. :cry:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

....If you have a subscription for your phone or tablet and you have reached your data limit then is probably the speed down.
( with 2 webcams open ) I tested it a few minutes ago

....My son has recently changed increased the frequency of the modem, which is a big improvement.
I also had a long break gray and green image, and it is OK now.

maybe you can call your provider / carrier
ame

Post by ame »

we have a subscription for pc's and it has no limits on amount of data being transferred so the slowness can't be because of any limit being reached.

we have complained to our web provider several times. the first time was in the early spring when during the Olympics the transmission froze during the events where Finns participated (like hockey matches or events where Finns had some chances to win like in snowboard events). then they gave me extra external antennae to enhance the reception of the signal and directions of how to point them. those antennae helped for some time.

the next step-like worsening in the transmission occurred in late summer (after we came back from the summer house when schools started here; i don't know how that could have an effect. maybe great many school children got and began to use new smart phones and/or tablets). interesting point is that we had a reasonably good connection in the country at the summer house. when we came back to the city the connection became worse than out in the country where the network density of internet towers is much lower than in the city. :slap:
(the distance between towers can be tens of km in the country but in cities the distances are only few hundred meters or less.)

the connection has become worse and worse during the autumn so that more and more often we have got only 3G instead of 4G. we have complained about it manymany times to our provider. finally we got a blunt statement: our house is located in a blind spot for 4G-transmission. surprise-surprise! how did we suddenly end up (or should i say down) in a blind spot like that, after being able to receive 4G for ages?? when we complained more and again they finally said that we are free to change the provider. well, we are going to (though there aren't many alternatives). but now the question is how much faster connection we should get.

this is the speed result which i got this morning (after the first measurement trial which collapsed because of time-out. then the delay was 500 ms.). download is on the left and upload is on the right. it says e.g. that uploading 8 MB pictures would take about 2 min. it took nearly half a minute to upload this picture which is 48.5 kB. the speed is within the parameters we have been promised but we aren't able for example to watch videos without breaks which they also promise. simple updating a web page takes minutes even if there aren't any animations on them..
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

my son his advice is to change the provider :blush: because it is very very low speed.
unp

Post by unp »

ame wrote: we are planning to change our operator and now i need to know what is the minimum speed we'll need. so i was wondering if anyone of you knows how much data traffic it makes to watch a live stream like a nest camera, without breaks and stop&go picture and sound. knowing this would give us a minimum speed limit to look after. earlier i was able to watch live cams without big problems but now it is out of my reach. :cry:
"We need a connection of faster than 1 Mbit/s to get a good stream for viewing our webcams."
From viewtopic.php?p=179071#p179071
That is to say, at least 1 Mbit/s per cam.
ame

Post by ame »

thank you, guys! we'll change the provider. i just fear that any new one will not be much better... :unsure:

i tried the seal cam again this afternoon and all i got from there was choppy audio with no picture for 10 min. the positive thing was that it did not crash altogether.

i also started to upload some video clips to the Tube at about 4:30 pm and the first one isn't finished yet. it says there's still more than 100 min to go. this really s*cks! :rant: :bash: :banghead:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I wish you luck Ame . I hope it will being alright soon :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

now it seems that it is possible that the cause of my internet speed problem may have been a faulty WiFi receiver/router. fortunately its guarantee hadn't expired yet and we got a replacement today. i have made a few speed tests today and the results have improved drastically from the earlier ones. now the reception/download speeds are about 20 - 30 Mb per s and the upload speeds somewhat lower. these are about 10 times or more tha we used to have. i was able to see the seal camera today and i managed to see even an eagle! :headroll:

fingers crossed that the connection will stay good! :laugh:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

thats good news :thumbs:

Return to “Questions and Help”