Spring and Summer 2015

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Spring and Summer 2015

Post by Felis silvestris »

Lussi05 wrote:Felis - It will be interesting to see if someone dare to move into the hole the crazy woodpecker made, or if the squirrel keep them away
I do keep my eyes open. Not easy as during the day I'm usually not home. But the goldfinches are here again, I saw two the other day.

And I admit, for Easter we had some strawberries, expensive from Spain
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
airras

Post by airras »

Felis :hi: Spain, the fruit and vegetable shop in europe :blush: jijijiji......
now they lowered their prices :whistling:
airras

Post by airras »

a walk in the countryside :nod:

Bea

Post by Bea »

WOW! This looks like summer and not spring :D
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
airras

Post by airras »

airras

Post by airras »

Bea, jijijiji in summer the color is yellow, everything drier :mrgreen:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Lussi05 wrote:Felis - It will be interesting to see if someone dare to move into the hole the crazy woodpecker made, or if the squirrel keep them away.
I have not seen the squirrel again, but since I am back from a short holiday, I do see a lot of traffic to the right "corner apartment" - great tits seem to have young ones already inside:

The other day we also had a slightly odd visitor on the roof

There was a pigeon sitting as well, she looked a little surprised and moved away few inches :rotf:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Beautiful puctures, spring seems to have come much farther at your place, than here at mine,

Felis, so the crazy woodpecker's hole is occupied by a (brave) Great tit family:) And it seems to be lots of interesting visitors at the roof, nice to watch :thumbs:

Spring signs, here at my place:

Birch leaves are barely out
Wood anemone - Anemone nemorosa
This year we have made som nesting boxes especially for the starlings (Sturnus vulgaris). They are occupied, and here one of them is courting at the rooftop of our garage :rolleyes:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Felis silvestris wrote:I should not make a single step without camera, least of all go for bread shopping on Saturday morning without camera - the most interesting things happen then. Unfortunately I did not take my camera yesterday morning, so I just can tell you of what I saw yesterday while coming back.

The squirrel first hopped on a bush in front of the building and from there on to the building and it climbed up on the corner! I waited for it to return down but it went up all the way to the hole you can see in the photo above and went in.
By the way, last summer a great tit raised her young in this very hole. This year I saw already various tits and also the woodpecker testing this one. For them it might be advisable not to use this one, if the squirrel can reach it that easily.
Unfortunately I did not get to see what happened next, it was most probably already out when I reached up and had a look out from my balcony, this time with the camera ready.
Look whom I saw today:

Unfortunately it had no intention to leave the place and then I had to go away for a while.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

oh so cute!
spatz

Post by spatz »

Hello Felix
how many holes there are in this wall? :puzzled:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Hello Spatz! At the moment there are 8 (eight) holes and a 9th is in work :rotf: The house was renovated a few years ago an the have used styrofoam blocks for insulation. Woodpeckers like that kind of stuff and like to hack holes into it.

Here he is at work

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis, great pictures of the squirrel. It has a beautiful, golden red/brown, colour.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

It is getting more and more interesting.
Today I saw a second squirrel in the hole right next to the tit's breeding hole:

The whole area looks like this:

The squirrel can be seen looking out, the hole on the right is where the great tits are breeding. This squirrel is slightly darker and I know it is a different one because I saw the other one in the very left hole at the same time, just did not manage to make a photo as it was peeking out only a short moment and I was switching from binoculars to camera back to binoculars and it all went quite fast:

because it left the hole

and climbed around there

and it suddenly was gone to the roof and out of view. The tits are still flying to and from the nest, but I am a bit worried for them now, as those squirrel are able to get there without any problem. :shock:

spatz

Post by spatz »

felis, that's interesting. thanks for the reports.
when I see squirrels this, I think it has anywhere children. because Mommy is currently several times a day, I hope the children then come.

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

:hi:
I think that a fox Mama? She had no fear

The squirrel looks a little sick?

Rarity in Germany. Poppies in the meadow :laugh:
spatz

Post by spatz »

Do not have squirrels make sure only moulting. beautiful fox and poppy. flowers on fields and meadows are unfortunately very rare.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Today morning I was in the forest and heard the chicks of woodpecker chirping and the parent nearby somehow was calling like mad. Then I saw the reason of such a behavior: a pine marten ran on the trunk of the tree! That is the first time I saw it not in the zoo.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you all for your nice pictures :wave:
Felis, how is the situation in your neighborhood these days, with Great Tit´s and squirrels?

Every spring the Cranes (Grus grus) are having their breakfast on the fields in my neighborhood. I met this beautiful bird on my way to work one morning.
Early in the mornings we have this visitor, a badger, in our garden. This is taken through my kitchen window, my cat and I was watching. My cat was growling :D
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Bumblebee
Now, when summer is right around the corner, new acquaintances occurs on our walks in the forest. We met these earlier this week :mrgreen:

Return to “Seasons”