Black Stork Nests in Europe

Ciconia nigra cams and information
Black swan

Re: Black Stork Nests in Europe

Post by Black swan »

Unfortunately I could not look in here a lot last days...
Now I feel so sorry about the things happen... :cry:

Nevertheless Thank You all for pics and comments...

Bad weather (especially long lasting rain) was also the main cause of losses white stork chicks in many nests in East Germany (during last years).
The problem was that the water flowed into the (deeper) nest bottom and it compacted. (they said some chickens probably even drowned :cry: )
Parents can only protect from above.
So they are not protected from the cold, wet bottom.
Therefore (I believe I have read that) Locals installed new nests with good drainage.

I am not an expert and I've no idea why the parents treat here so...
We can not observe via a live video, so some things are difficult to assess, I think.
And we think with our human emotions...

We have seen Sara & Tobias last year: they were such good parents and everything went well.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Maybe Estonian and Latvian storks got accustomed to such weather and know what to do while German or Hungarian storks don't, because the weather is not typical for them. That is the only explanation that comes to my mind and I think that is the case when people might find some way to help them.
baska

Post by baska »

May 27

This is the sad end :cry: :cry: :cry:

Since the early morning they don't show but this picture.
You can see that you can't see anything anymore. - The poor chicks are gone, the parents too. :cry:

Black swan, I don't think that normally the chicks can drown in their nest.
There are a lot of storkcarers who know, that the construction of the nest is normally made in this way that the rain can easyly drain away.
The most dangerous fact for blocked drainage are the pieces of plastic like in many nests of White Storks which are built into the nest.
Then the water cannot flow away anymore and the chicks drown.

I've never seen Black Stork-chicks drowning in their nest. I think these nests are the best because the are naturally made
far away from human settlements with their rubbish/garbage.
Anyway, me, I'm convinced that the only problems and disadvantages are caused by the humans with their perpetuel bungling into the nature !!!

Concerning the parents treatment :
How are you able to know that the female stork is the same like last year ?
She hasn't got a ring like Tobias !
I was watching that she wasn't very often on the nest.
Tobias waited often for her, so that he was forced in the end to leave the chicks alone because he wanted to get some food................
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

I get no picture today...
(I can see a parent lying on nest in your pic, baska)

@ baska: Why so aggressive?
Excuse me if I have the wrong impression.
I just wrote my thoughts ...

The parents:
It was probably a mistake to say anything about the last year.
Of course, I do not know for sure if Sarah the female from last year ...
Unfortunately, I can not speak Hungarian and the Google translator is not good enough.
Hard to get correct information.
But I accepted it so ...
Tobias is a house-husband, remember, we saw that in the last year also ... :rolleyes:

The Nest:
I was referring to things that I've read regarding White Storks.
And I know that some things differently in Black Storks (more shy, nests hidden and secluded).

Now I looked for and found a local report (somewhat older) about loss of chicks,
about what I wrote ... (some more bottom left of the report)
http://www.lr-online.de/nachrichten/Tag ... 65,4225616

There are also studies of the nest condition, especially lack of drainage after heavy rain is a cause for nestling loss! (of course one of many more)

There were only my thoughts because here rain for several days and the nest bottom seems to me highly compressed ...
No, the chicks do not drown here!
But they are too young and vulnerable to disease in these weather conditions ...
I can not judge the treating of the parents, this is nature - they are doing what they need to do -.

I agree with you that humans the main cause of problems and disadvantages. (I hate waste in nature too)
Think also for example of the disappearance of wetlands as feeding basics increasing urban sprawl and road construction...
But that's not the topic here.

I feel also sad about what is happening here, so sorry.
(My English is bad, I find it hard to find the right words)
baska

Post by baska »

Black swan wrote:I get no picture today...
(I can see a parent lying on nest in your pic, baska)

@ baska: Why so aggressive?
Excuse me if I have the wrong impression.
I just wrote my thoughts ...

The parents:
It was probably a mistake to say anything about the last year.
Of course, I do not know for sure if Sarah the female from last year ...
Unfortunately, I can not speak Hungarian and the Google translator is not good enough.
Hard to get correct information.
I beg your pardon, black swan :bow:
I didn't want to be agressive. I just wanted to write down my thoughts, too, and tell of my experiences.

You can recognize a stork in my pic ??? :unsure: Excuse me, but I don't see anything but branches and twigs

Perhaps Macko / George (from Hungary) is reading this and can give us some information ! That would be very nice !
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
asteria

Post by asteria »

The cam doesn't work at the moment and yesterday I saw a stork lying in the nest. The pic you placed, Baska, is very vague and better wait for the better view.

I don't think they just allow the chicks to die. I remember how in 2008 four storklets were taken away from the nest, because the male stork(Willie) died and the female(Antonia) couldn't feed them alone, a man with busket came and took all the chicks, they were put in other nests. That happened in Germany, maybe you heard about it too.
Schmutz

Post by Schmutz »

I just checked the cam, and it looks to me like an adult is sitting on the nest. It is hard to make out, but pretty sure I can make out the long beak. Then I still have hopes for babies.
Schmutz

Post by Schmutz »

But now I think the cam might not be live since it wouldn't be dark now. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until the cam comes back up, or until we hear something official.
baska

Post by baska »

asteria wrote:The cam doesn't work at the moment and yesterday I saw a stork lying in the nest. The pic you placed, Baska, is very vague and better wait for the better view.

I don't think they just allow the chicks to die. I remember how in 2008 four storklets were taken away from the nest, because the male stork(Willie) died and the female(Antonia) couldn't feed them alone, a man with busket came and took all the chicks, they were put in other nests. That happened in Germany, maybe you heard about it too.
Hello asteria, :hi: unfortunately the cam stopped completely.

I suppose this nest in Germany might have been Bad Waldsee . But I know hundreds of webcam-nests with all their owners who have got names,
I can't remember all these names exactly. Especially, because the names are repeating very often.
It happens quite often that the chicks get rescued when they are in danger. But this one in Gemenc is a special case.
I noticed that the carers always rescue the chicks if one of the parentstork dies. But when the parentstorks are badly looking after their kids,
generally the humans don't help because they don't want to intervene the bringing up of the storks. Their motivation: "This is nature"
(Sarah was coming very seldom so that Tobias was forced to fly away and look for some food while the chicks were alone, beeing cold in the rain.)
As sorry as I am, but in my opinion they did die of coldness and hunger. :cry:
If it was possible to take them out of the nest, it would have been too late. They were already too weak.

Furthermore, there is a big difference between the nests of White Storks and the nests of Black Storks.
If it concerns White Storks, you only have to ask the firebrigade or a private company which comes with it's hoisting crane,
naturally after the question is settled: who is going to pay that? Technical this is a quick and simple act.
But with the nests of Black Storks it is much more complicated because these nests you can only find somewhere deep in the forest,
in a height of 20 or 30 meters, one got to find a person who is able to climb up very high trees .....

By the way, did you know that rescuing storks from the nest is forbidden by law in Germany, on pain of punishment !!! :rant: :rant: :rant:
Reason: "interventions in proceedings of the nests of wild birds is not allowed". (Even to change wet nestmaterial for dry material).
Despite that many carers do it on their own responsibility.
But they risk a lot: first of all, if they don't find somebody who pays for the action or does it voluntary, they must pay it themselves.
AND: if somebody does an offence to the nature conservation authority they got to pay a lot of fine.

Unfortunately it is like this in Germany. Every year there are a lot of fierce disputes because of that.
I would be very interested how that is treated in other countries. Does anybody know anything about that ???

It's too bad that Macko isn't reading here anymore. I'm sure, he could give us some information. I was looking for a hungarian forum but I can't find any.
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Schmutz

Post by Schmutz »

The cam opened up for me tonight! I was happily surprised to see one very large baby. Yay!
baska

Post by baska »

Schmutz wrote:The cam opened up for me tonight! I was happily surprised to see one very large baby. Yay!
Great, dear Schmutz ! :2thumbsup: :D
Unfortunately the cam doesn't open for me since my last pic although I'm clicking every day several times.
So we still can have a glimmer of hope.....
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Schmutz

Post by Schmutz »

I have not been able to get the cam to open up since June 3rd. Let's hope the one big baby continues to grow strong and healthy.
Michi

Post by Michi »

Thanks a lot, Schmutz and all, for your reports!
I'm relieved that there is at least one storklet that has survived. So sadly it is that the other storklets - three :shock: - haven't made it ... :cry:

The cam doesn't work for me since about two weeks. I try several times a day, but without success. :-(
asteria

Post by asteria »

Everything may happen but in my opinion when the nest is with cam, people should do their best to prevent tragic events at least in this nest. Otherwise there is no sense of installing cam at all.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Live video stream from a black srork nest in Gemenc, Hunagry

Tobias the male has arrived.

Cam links : http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dkPxgsBDkJK

http://gemenczrt.hu/media/feketegolya-feszek/

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

thank you Macko50 :thumbs:

10:30 :loveshower:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

a beautiful stork :innocent:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

good morning :hi:

Tobias is waiting for his lovely

a change- daylight

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:42 preening and flew out

7:46 back with a twig
baska

Post by baska »

Good morning ! :wave:

He is showing us his nice feathers
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer

Return to “Black Storks”