Re: Latvian Black Storks 2015 - Zīle and Ozols

Post by ame »

it's alive still. :D

a slanted day. :mrgreen:

lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Liz01 wrote:11:00 poops outside the nest. It is not Ozols
:rotf:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Liz01 wrote:11:00 poops outside the nest. It is not Ozols
lianaliesma wrote: :rotf:
these are scientific evidence :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

the arrival video is being processed but i have some pictures already. the stork arrived at 8:37 and landed on the top branch where it stayed for almost 2 min...

... before jumping to the lower parent's branch. i don't know if these pictures will help in identifying it. all are more or less blurred. i took pictures frame by frame and made a gif. let me know if one of them is useful and i'll make a better picture.

from there it walked to the nest.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Good morning! :hi:

8:37 Parent arrived and arranged the nest.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, many thanks :headroll: :2thumbsup:

when I see, how the stork on the branch walking
I'll know who it is

EDIT:for me it's not Ozols
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

11:54:28 Zile flew away :innocent:

ame

Post by ame »

11:54 the stork flew away. a gif

ame

Post by ame »

i also made a gif of the stork walking from the parent's branch down to the nest if that is helpful.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Now the nest is prepared for the next season, whoever did it, it means that the stork couple is planning to return in this nest and that the first to arrive will be the stork who started migration earlier(probably Zile).
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Parent visited the nest. 8:37 - 11:54

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

From Māris Strazds:

"I looked a little conversation in the forum. You can put my comment on "travel together".
I fully agree that the relationship between them is much more "humane" than many think, and I'm not saying that this is not possible, however, there is no reason to compare the black stork with white one, as people with chimpanzees. We are the closest relatives to chimpanzees as the black and white storks. Hardly any could judge how we as people will act, studying chimpanzees ... White storks travel together. Black ones do not. The old birds can travel both to the west (over Gibraltar) and the east (across the Bosporus and through Israel) to circumnavigate the Mediterranean Sea, the young birds from the same nest can also choose how to fly. Moreover, traveling alone, the human factor could include anecdotes about the two tourists, who are being attacked by grizzly bear. One begins to scoot, but the other is tieing his bootlace ties. When the first asks- do you think you can outrun a grizzly bear?- the second answers - no, but I can outrun you ...

Flying herd reduces an individual's risk of being eaten, as the statistical probability says that sooner the other will be caught . On the other hand, if all children fly the nest together that increases the likelihood that this nest will have no offspring because they could friendly perish together in one and the same incorrectly chosen place. Imagining that it could have happened before many generations, the majority of the nest offspring who travelled together would have long been eaten and would have left no descendants ... Thhe more chance have those nests where children have a tendency not to chum around each other. If the nest leaves four children and each flies their own time and direcion, then the probability that they all end up equal in trouble, in fact is zero. That's in brief. M. Strazds"
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
asteria

Post by asteria »

How about the same correctly chosen place?

If they choose Gibraltar(or the South of Spain, where some non-migrating black storks live), it will be better choice. Their move to Lithuania and Poland gives such a chance.
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

asteria wrote:How about the same correctly chosen place?

If they choose Gibraltar(or the South of Spain, where some non-migrating black storks live), it will be better choice. Their move to Lithuania and Poland gives such a chance.
It's instinct. I think it's almost zero possibility that stork from Latvia will choice Gibraltar. Route through Bosphorus is inherent and they can't fly other way
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I think the "division" is somewhere in Germany. The tagged Bavarian storks, 2 siblings and a single one, were tagged not so far from each other, the siblings chose the route via Spain and Gibraltar, while the single one was even crossing the Mediterranean from Greece, but definitely stayed on the eastern route.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Felis silvestris wrote:I think the "division" is somewhere in Germany.
Black Storks migration routes.

Red Line: Migration Border, Orange Arrow: Western Migration, Yellow Arrow: Eastern Migration

https://goo.gl/cQhJoA
George
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

asteria wrote:Now the nest is prepared for the next season, whoever did it, it means that the stork couple is planning to return in this nest and that the first to arrive will be the stork who started migration earlier(probably Zile).
That's beautiful, that one parent today is returned and prepared the nest. So we can hope for a next season.
Edit: Thank you all for the updates and pics and videos from this event.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Agata

Post by Agata »

Dear all stork fans:)
I have recently registered in this forum to thank you for this exciting journey into storks' growing. This has been the best serial movie I have ever watched:) Every day, even in my job, I was looking at the nest from time to time with great curiosity, pleasure and admiration. Fear as well, at times. This was an important nature lesson. I am very grateful for your pics, videos and comments I could follow to witness this miracle of bird life.
Hope Ziluks, Ziluka and their parents enjoy long happy years wherever they fly.
Thank you and until springtime!
Greetings from Poland,
Agata
asteria

Post by asteria »

Hello Agata,

Ziluks and Ziluka right now may stay somewhere in Poland and if you're lucky you can see them. :2thumbsup:
Agata

Post by Agata »

I will wave them goodbye:)

Return to “Black Storks”