Black Stork Tracks

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
sova

Re: Black Stork Tracks

Post by sova »

Hello everybody
That's as much information and so much empty empire . Thank you very much. :nod:
I would be more but I can participate in comments no English .
Best Wishes
Sova
asteria

Post by asteria »

There is a small area in Yemen where black storks spend winters, maybe Kate moves there.
Michi

Post by Michi »

Good evening, :wave:
I’m glad that Kate is now flying straight southwards. Hopefully we soon will see where she wants to spend the winter. :rolleyes:

From Zuze there is unfortunately no data today. As she is in Syria I hope she is far away from war scenes. :unsure:

Feja today has done a very little turn in direction southeast. So there is still hope that she will find the way to Turkey.

Michi

Post by Michi »

baska wrote: These problems (fatal accidents mainly inside the fishponds but also with the power lines and power poles) are known to local authorities as well as to organizations like the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel since 25 years !!!
Baska :wave:, it is unbelievably and sad that the Israeli Nature Organizations watch this agonising suffering and do nothing against it. It is not to understand how humans can act in such a cruel way by using such inappropriate nets. :-(((
Thank you for your efforts to write to Carsten Rohde. It will be very interesting to hear his assessment about the current situation.
baska wrote: I've got the impression, this year a lot of storks have lost their orientation....
Or this is due to the fact that more and more storks get transmitters, and we must learn that not everything is going without problems (as we thought before).
In relation to all storks the number of them with transmitter is very, very small. Therefore I think their behaviour is not representative for all. But indeed it’s surely right that we have to learn more about the mostly unknown reality of storks lives.

The White Stork Lonja I will follow. It will be interesting to watch her further route. But I admit that I’m afraid she could try to cross the Mediterranean Sea from her present place at the Peloponnes. :unsure:
Michi

Post by Michi »

asteria wrote:There is a small area in Yemen where black storks spend winters, maybe Kate moves there.
Asteria :hi:, do you know more about the area? Where is it?
sova

Post by sova »

Here I have an interesting link from Switzerland ( it comes to the white stork - SOS Storch ) .
Top right , you can also select Language .

http://projekt-storchenzug.com/datenlogger/
Solo

Post by Solo »

:hi: Michi
I found this information http://www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com/2011/ ... -2011.html and even this
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo :hi: your'e great. thanks for the links :2thumbsup:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Feja today has done a very little turn in direction southeast. So there is still hope that she will find the way to Turkey.
:hi: Michi
black storks migrate from Greece also over Crete to Libya - Ciconia nigra Eurasian Migration: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ration.png
baska

Post by baska »

Hello all together :hi:

Carsten Rohde has already answered ! :D :D :D

After he has passed another severe critisism in autumn 2014 on responsible persons in Israel, they finally and really started to do something.
Now there is one person who is checking every day systematicly all the nets during the main migration period.
Furthermore they improved a lot of the nets which caused problems or even removed them. :loveshower:
Carsten is hoping that this attention will last forever .....

But the critical situation with the power lines is still the same.

Thanks to Carsten for giving us so quickly this predominant pleasing information !
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

baska wrote:Hello all together :hi:

Carsten Rohde has already answered ! :D :D :D
After he has passed another severe critisism in autumn 2014 on responsible persons in Israel, they really started to do something.
Now there is one person who is checking every day systematicly all the nets during the main migration period.
Furthermore they improved a lot of the nets which caused problems or even removed them. :loveshower:
But the critical situation with the power lines is still the same.
Thanks to Carsten for giving us so quickly this predominant pleasing information !
Dear Baska! Thank you and Carsten very much! Image
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Solo

Post by Solo »

Baska :loveshower: :loveshower: :loveshower:

FEJA 2012-10-22
Feja found a good place to strengthen before overflights sea:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/730460.jpg

Image Image Image
asteria

Post by asteria »

Michi wrote:Asteria :hi:, do you know more about the area? Where is it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sto ... _distr.png

This is the map from wikipedia of the black storks spreading. Blue spots show the places of wintering, orange - the places of breeding and green - where storks live all year round and don't migrate. A small blue spot you can see in Yemen near the Red Sea.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Kate is in yemen :loveshower:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Upene is still at the fish ponds :laugh:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

there are also new data from Zuse :2thumbsup: she flew exactly the route as Upene - Zikula
now she is also on the fish pool in Israel :laugh:

baska

Post by baska »

asteria wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sto ... _distr.png
This is the map from wikipedia of the black storks spreading.
That is very interesting but strange, asteria, in german written Wikipedia this map is looking different - without Yemen !

Image you can make it bigger by clicking on the pic.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzstorch

nor Yemen is mentioned in 'Birdlife' http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/specie ... hp?id=3830

But in english Wiki they tell us that they had the map of this book with Carsten Rohde: 'main source: Jansen/Hormann/Rohde', the book which Liz' ows.
(me not, by the way, I don't have so much money)

Liz, what do you say about this map ???
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

baska wrote:
After he has passed another severe critisism in autumn 2014 on responsible persons in Israel, they finally and really started to do something.
Furthermore they improved a lot of the nets which caused problems or even removed them.
:loveshower:
thanks for the really good news :loveshower: :loveshower:
I'm incredibly happy about it :headroll:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

baska wrote:
But in english Wiki they tell us that they had the map of this book with Carsten Rohde: 'main source: Jansen/Hormann/Rohde', the book which Liz' ows.
(me not, by the way, I don't have so much money)

Liz, what do you say about this map ???
Baska, in the book is to be read:

in Saudi Arabia are counted 200-300 wintering black storks. the Observations from October to February
usually single birds or small troops of up to 5 birds
The largest group was 25 animals (Newton in Schulz 1995)
The information is from 1995 by Schulz. They wintering mainly in the wadis of the western and southwestern parts of the country.
From Yemen no word! :unsure:

EDIT:
I found a map in the book.
Wintering areas Eurasian black storks.
In Arabia, the marker goes to Yemen 8-)

sorry for the quality- these are picture from the book

baska

Post by baska »

Thank you for the map of your book, Liz and for your efforts. :wave:
The quality is sufficient, Liz, we can recognize what we want to recognize.

Me, I have the most confidence in the results of 'our' three authors Jansen/Hormann/Rohde because I know,
that they were working conscientiously with their vast knowledge.
But anyway, wintering in Yemen or not Yemen, the Yemen is green all over as we already found out. Good for Kate.
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer

Return to “Migration Maps and News”