Video format conversion

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Liz01

Re: Video format conversion

Post by Liz01 »

I found it only in German. But I guess that's one way to record videos and edit them. It should be very simple

http://www.movavi.de/mac-screen-capture ... tAodP68F8Q
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

..there is a Freemake video converter for the mac.
I don't use him for the videos from Loodus, only for --> making MP3, maybe it will for you work Marfo

I have no link for the right program, but he is good.

Marfo

Post by Marfo »

The macbook I was working on earlier has a slightly older version of osx than the iMac I am working on now. The AVC converter I have downloaded for this version does have 'scissors' to cut the video. So, having done that I converted this clip of 32 minutes to customised mp4 twice. BTW, on this computer everything goes much faster, half an hour for downloading (even wireless) and the same for conversion.

The first mp4 was completely crooked, a strange looking cut-up picture with sound. The second mp4 (88mb) was at least a clip with movement and sound but was of poor quality and very unsharp. :banghead:
With the 3rd attempt I converted the clip to iMovie format which I found is also an mp4. This attempt was fruitful. An excellent, sharp clip, like the ones you, Ame, always make. But this movie is 5 times as big: almost 400mb........ :unsure:
So, I managed in the end but I don't know how to make this video smaller without losing its quality.
Oh no, I see that this clip will not open in iMovie......grrrrrr :banghead:
There is so much rubbish in the software world! :nod:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Thank you for all your help! :hi: I was writing my post before I saw all your answers. I will try them all, see what it brings.
P.S. the last mp4 that looked so great has a non synchronised sound.........what a pity :sad:
ame

Post by ame »

Marfo wrote:... So, I managed in the end but I don't know how to make this video smaller without losing its quality. ...
i don't think that making the video smaller without losing picture quality is possible even. making smaller means packing like 4 pixels of data in one pixel and that inevitably averages and and smears out the original quality. it is a kind of law of physics. it's also an irreversible process: once the quality is worsened it is not possible to make it back the way it was.

thus one cannot make a HD video out of a video that wasn't HD in the beginning. this is also what music people are fighting against in transforming their music into mp4 (or whatever packed format): the fine nuances are lost in the packing process.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

I work a lot with Photoshop so I know a little about pixels en making files smaller and so on, I was referring to different formats and sizes of those formats. I'm not familiar with video but I know there are many different formats, there are even different mp4's. The same goes for audio. Size is a very difficult thing in the digital world. But you must know all that.
I noticed that you often post HD video's. I assume the Pontu mkv files are HD. So, do you upload the original quality, converted to mp4 (x264)? Or am I talking nonsense here? Because in one of the video editing programs the customized mp4 resulted in a very small out of focus video.
I have tried many so called 'free' editing programs but they all turned out to be "free trials' that would only convert 5 minutes. In the end I tried Handbrake, advised by Aita and someone else on the internet. That was a very good choice. You can even adjust the frame rate which is important (I found out somewhere) for keeping the image and sound synchronised. Which is something I have had a lot of difficulty with and you also, I noticed.
You can also cut the file in advance: there are 3 options, Chapter, frames and seconds. A pity it is not minutes now you have to calculate the seconds, but hey..I finally have a converted Pontu clip that has synchronised sound! :bow:
I also found a very good guide of how to use all the options in Handbrake, very well explained. Maybe you don't need it but I add the link here: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide
So on to the next step: how to get the clip in the forum…. :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

i think that the original Pontu videos in mkv must be HD, as well as the stream which we can record.

in AVC i always use the "Customized MP4 movie (*.mp4)" which i have selected from the "All profile groups" drop-down menu (not in the menu with all the different phone types). then i have selected in the "Basic settings" the original video size and normal quality.

recently i have had to convert also my VLC-recordings and the Tube often never finished processing the VLC media files which are mp4, too! i don't know why they weren't accepted. now i convert them as a routine, too, before uploading. the 'close-up' videos which i make with the Debut program are avi-files which are accepted by the Tube as such. the same goes with some of the short mkv-Pontu videos which i have uploaded sometimes.

i don't know why the clips that i convert with the AVC are sometimes HD and sometimes not. it varies from time to time, and it does not depend on whether i clip/convert my own VLC recordings or make Pontu clips. it's a mystery to me. :puzzled:

the a-synchronous picture and sound is a problem which i have with VLC-recordings. it's also strange how the shorter VLC videos are more off-set than the reallly long ones. if i have a 2-hours VLC recording the off-set may be almost unnoticeable, but really bad in a 12-min video. another mystery..? :puzzled:
the Pontu videos are always ok i think.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

I searched for the problem of asynchrony (I looked it up :laugh: ) on the internet, many people seem to have that problem. I found that it occurs when converting formats to mp4. The problem seems to be the difference in Frame rate per second (fps) between the original file and the mp4. I don't remember ll the details but I set the fps to 'same as source' in Handbrake and the result was ok (a 30 minute clip). All the conversions I made with other programs were a-synchronised.

Something else: Why don't you use Photobucket for posting video's?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Marfo :wave:
You can convert it to any format. it goes quickly and very well

http://www.atubecatchermac.com/
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Liz01 wrote:Marfo :wave:
You can convert it to any format. it goes quickly and very wellhttp://www.atubecatchermac.com/
Thank you Liz but it says, strangely enough:

"Unfortunately, aTube Catcher for Mac only runs on Windows PCs. If you've just purchased a new Mac, or you've switched to your iMac or MacBook as the main computer, you'll need a video downloader substitute for aTube Catcher on Mac OS X." :slap: :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

Marfo wrote:I searched for the problem of asynchrony (I looked it up :laugh: ) on the internet, many people seem to have that problem. I found that it occurs when converting formats to mp4. The problem seems to be the difference in Frame rate per second (fps) between the original file and the mp4. I don't remember ll the details but I set the fps to 'same as source' in Handbrake and the result was ok (a 30 minute clip). All the conversions I made with other programs were a-synchronised.

Something else: Why don't you use Photobucket for posting video's?
the a-synchrony is in my VLC-recordings even without the conversion.
i don't use the Bucket for videos because they would take so much storage and i need it for pictures. i must have a million pics... or even more. i don't have an idea actually... :blush: :whistling: :laugh:
i looked it up. i seem to have 134444 files uploaded since 13th April 2009. that much less than i thought there might be. 16.9 Gbytes used.

i think i once uploaded a video there once by mistake and it took enormously space, like worth of days and days of pictures. so i have taken care not to use the Bucket for videos. i have recently been worried about my gifs... i had to get a pro account in the Bucket when i repeatedly exceeded my bandwidth and my pictures were suspended for a month. :D
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
I can now make recordings of mkv-files with the VLC.
I learned about it through a mistake. I do not remember if I already have Windows 10. VLC is 2.2.1 Terry Pratchett (Weatherwax)
On my computer is working fine - it's .mp4
However, YouTube can not be processed, is standing there 95%.
(Since the summer, I have the same problem with videos, what i made with VLC from cam. Including those that are two years old, stand YT 95%)

I have to convert the video for YouTube. (from .mp4 - new .mp4. File size is about the double)
I use HandBrake for it. (previous page) here
viewtopic.php?p=353662#p353662
a new way to keep a lot of time.
https://handbrake.fr/
ame

Post by ame »

that is good news aita, thank you! :thumbs:

the not-so-good news or not-news is that Youtube still can't process these videos. they will stop processing at 95 % and finally fail. so the video format still needs to be converted. :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

the non-processability of mkv-videos in the Tube started to puzzle me again... i think i have a faint memory that i have once or twice uploaded a short Pontu-video as such to the Tube and it went well.

i made a test: i recorded a short clip of a Pontu video in mkv-format with the VLC and uploaded it to the Tube. then i uploaded a short Pontu video as such to the Tube. both seemed to stop processing at 95% but now at least the short test video is finished:

the Pontu video also finished processing after a short while. it just happened to be an early morning clip so it's quite dark. let's listen if there are any sounds... :mrgreen:
yes, there are sounds of hard wind which is basically just noise. (i wonder if the Tube ever analyses the videos in any way. they might find some very curious videos in there... :whistling: )

aita :hi:
it seems that the non-processing problem of mkv-videos in the Tube is over! :thumbs:
this will make life easier for us.

btw: i have noticed that with the AVC one must mock-clip even a short video which one wants to convert from the beginning to the end. if one just converts the video straight then the result will be without sound. (sometimes the sound is missing even after the clipping&converting).

maybe this is because i'm using the free version. (they sometimes add these small faults or deficiencies in the free versions of programs in hope that they will make people to buy the program... for example the Neodownloader's free version has tricks like this.)
ame

Post by ame »

Mutikluti advised me to a new video converter/trimmer: SolveigMM AVI trimmer+

i haven't used it much yet but already now it proved to be much quicker than AVC. it can handle both the 4h-long Pontu videos quicker, as well as a Pontu-file without an end-of-file marker. in both cases it was really very much quicker.

thanks Mutikluti! :2thumbsup:

i'm only learning to use it. i'll write here some guidelines as soon as i have learned enough.

edit: so far i have learned that the free version of Solveig is trimming only.

and i have also learned that the Tube still sometimes/usually processes non-converted VLC-videos very slowly or not at all. i can't understand why. as far as i can see the VLC media files are .mp4. the AVC-converted videos are the same, but for some reason the file size of a converted video is much bigger (about 2.7 times bigger in one case). i don't know what AVConversion adds to them.

Return to “Questions and Help”