Estonian WTE Webcam 2016

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Turandot

Re: Estonian WTE Webcam 2016

Post by Turandot »

The eaglet, we can see now on the left corner is not Rahu, I think it is Nord. After the unsuccessful fishdelivery, he jumped to the parents brunch and at 9:43:55 we can see his number. There I see a "2". Wenn Anna brought the duck, he jumped back again.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

ame wrote:9:38 Anna brought a fish. what a riot! :laugh:
There is not too much space even for two birds on the left branch and now Nord flew straight between or over Taibu and Anna. :laugh:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Turandot wrote:The eaglet, we can see now on the left corner is not Rahu, I think it is Nord. After the unsuccessful fishdelivery, he jumped to the parents brunch and at 9:43:55 we can see his number. There I see a "2". Wenn Anna brought the duck, he jumped back again.
Yes, you are right. I noticed Nord’s number, too.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Mutikluti wrote:Good morning! :wave:

09.52 Food arrived, Anna brought something strange, it's not a fish, similar to the mallard...Taibu gets food! Rahu also....
The boy was Nord. His number could be seen clearly, when he was on the parents’ branch before the lunch time.
It seemed that he was eating pieces of the bird himself at the same time as Anna took pieces for Taibu?
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

KeltSi wrote:Oh, my ears..

I think it was a mallard. I don't know birds at all.. ;)

Yes, it was a Mallard. I think female, not a male in the eclipse plumage.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote:this time Anna managed to feed the kids, probably: they were mostly out of sight on the left. at least she stayed a longer time.
water birds are better to hold on a branch. they are not as slippery as a fish :laugh: So our Princess get food :2thumbsup:
Unfortunately they are very hard to catch. But for her kids Anna doing it all :bow:
vainamoinen wrote: Yes, it was a Mallard. I think female, not a male in the eclipse plumage.
vainamoinen, thank you :2thumbsup: This is important for our feed Item List.
Eisblume

Post by Eisblume »

Good Morning from Germany :wave:

where is Taibu ? she is sitting next to her brother? :shake: :bounce:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Eisblume, I guess, she is sleeping on the left branch :innocent:
Eisblume

Post by Eisblume »

:thumbs: thanks liz01 :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

what was that screaming about? was there food in sight? i could not see anything/anyone... :puzzled:

one eaglet flew out, one of the boys. Rahu? or Nord? i can't read the numbers...
Taibu stays.

Mary L'viv

Post by Mary L'viv »

12:01 Nord leaves. Taibu's alone on the left branch :wave:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Rainer wrote:If enyone can make a clip with all five calling sounds,
it would be interesting to compare their voices !
That would be great! But also very difficult, because eagles scream in different situations, and this sounds differently, although it is the same bird.
ame

Post by ame »

Taibu was making some very strong wing exercises. good girl! :2thumbsup:

she was very excited: she screamed before, during and after the exercises. :laugh:
Janne

Post by Janne »

So, a mallard was caught. Maybe now there are some ducklings in misery. Something for you who feels so sorry for Taibu to consider...
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Janne wrote:So, a mallard was caught. Maybe now there are some ducklings in misery. Something for you who feels so sorry for Taibu to consider...
Very true :dunno:
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Off topic (sorry, Ame)

These two videos are great display of how an eaglet can use the nest area for learning and improving its skills. They are not from WTE nest but from Bald eagles one. The eaglets are approx. 4 weeks older than "our" eaglets.

Nest as an area where an eaglet is bettering a skill of using her feet for holds and grips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ox1g4kseY

Parent delivers a fish to the nest. Following with younger eaglet (he is due to siblings rivalry and more dominant older sister always hungry). He always looses in the fight for food. So he has managed to escape with prey and left his surprised sister in the nest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTpfmood3M
ame

Post by ame »

Janne wrote:So, a mallard was caught. Maybe now there are some ducklings in misery. Something for you who feels so sorry for Taibu to consider...
we must remember that all kinds of ducklings are able to feed independently from the very beginning of their lives. by this time of the summer they must also be nearly the same size than their mothers so they are not critically dependent of them in any way. one must also remember that eagles are not the only beings who hunt ducks: they are hunted also by humans who shoot them by thousands each year (a little later in the summer/autumn).
besides all ducks breed so effectively that all places would be full of them (and their poo) if no-one ate them.

a parent came with a big fish. :headroll:
the lens is so foggy that i can't see who...
it was Anna. :D

she landed on the far end of the branch and so Taibe cannot come right at her.

Taibu is getting a private feeding. fingers crossed now so that the fish will not drop. :2thumbsup:
the delivery and the beginning of the feeding:
Janne

Post by Janne »

ame wrote: we must remember that all kinds of ducklings are able to feed independently from the very beginning of their lives
Sure, but the eagles do no such considerations when they choose their prey. I was merely trying to point out that one should not impose so much human feelings onto the animal world.
ame

Post by ame »

Taibu was almost lying on the thin branch during feeding. :D

raccoon dogs are waiting under the table. they scream in frustration and are getting anxious: is there not going to be fish today? :rotf:
ame

Post by ame »

Janne wrote:Sure, but the eagles do no such considerations when they choose their prey. I was merely trying to point out that one should not impose so much human feelings onto the animal world.
it is difficult for most of us not impose human feelings onto animal world. it belongs to our nature. i think that we all know this. knowing that we should not feel this way does not make us feel any better. it also does not help any of us if someone reminds us about this...

did the rest of the fish fall? i failed to see...
Taibu took the big tail-part and didn't know what to do with it...

Anna took it back.

then the rest of the fish vanished and soon Anna left.

end of the feeding and Anna's departure:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”