Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2017

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2017

Post by ame »

i think that on both occasions it was the female who has been called most of the time Erna by the DD people. i called her Balck lace for a while, then she was Melania for a short while and then Erna. i think you called her Egyptian girl. anyway she is the female with the big black spots on her tail which sometimes remind me of an anchor and sometimes it looks like a cross or a twisted picasso-painting-like face. it's the same girl. she was here already on Feb 28. i haven't checked (yet) if she was here already earlier.

i think this mess illustrates well the difficulty of having and not having names. :mrgreen:
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote: i read the posts but i must be terribly thick in my head: i still fail to see the core of this question. :blush:
why is the delay so important? :puzzled:
isn't the camera time all that matters? :dunno:

the camera has stopped at 19:38:27 (camera time).
The delay has grown bigger recently, you admitted it yourself on Feb. 23 - but now you deny that, saying that it has always been constant.
Abigyl wondered why it is about 2 minutes already - you said it is not so, it is only 40 secs - I said it is clearly more.
That it is. You may be right - this does not mean others are wrong. Maybe it is about technical things (so that the delay is different for different people), I don´t know. (Plus the fact that your posts were initially contradictory and confusing.)

And the cam is still running.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Yes, Ame, giving names is a useful thing, but it would be helpful if it's quickly decided, and if there's only one name for each bird.*
On 2 forums, that's not easy to get! :laugh:

:wave:
Good night everyone!
I hope the girl will look better tomorrow!

*(And also not 2 birds with the same name... )

Edit:
I suggest that, in the future, if there's a new eagle on the nest, we just wait till the DD people agree for a name. In the meantime we can try to observe (and document) the particularities of that specific bird, in order to recognize him/her more easily. What do you think?
We're already getting better in it! :laugh:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:i think that on both occasions it was the female who has been called most of the time Erna by the DD people. i called her Balck lace for a while, then she was Melania for a short while and then Erna. i think you called her Egyptian girl. anyway she is the female with the big black spots on her tail which sometimes remind me of an anchor and sometimes it looks like a cross or a twisted picasso-painting-like face. it's the same girl. she was here already on Feb 28. i haven't checked (yet) if she was here already earlier.
I watched the videos from Feb. 28 and today. I think it is not the same female. The bird on Feb. 28, the original Erna (and all the other names), had more white on her back and less white on her breast. The current female (Anne´s Egyptian) is called Erna too, but it is not the original Erna.

Anne´s confusion is justified.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

I think you're right, Trine, I also think that the 'Egyptian' is not the original Erna.
But that's not a big deal, we can call this female (also) Erna, except if the original Erna will return... :slap:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
ame

Post by ame »

without photographic evidence the Erna versus no Erna discussion is pointless.

the camera seems to be running still. i checker the Tube address. so again only my P-player had stopped.
:wave:
Trine

Post by Trine »

Anne7 wrote:But that's not a big deal, we can call this female (also) Erna, except if the original Erna will return... :slap:
Yes, I agree.
I don´t mind if some disagreement and confusion remains. We are no supposed to figure everything out, I think. It has been difficult recently. But then we should also be careful with firm dates when this or that Erna first showed up.
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:without photographic evidence the Erna versus no Erna discussion is pointless.
So is your confident statement above: "it´s the same girl" :laugh:

It was generally agreed that there were two spotty girls around. Who stayed and who left? There were some differences in opinion, but most people, including ame, finally thought that the newcomer stayed and Erna left. And now this confident statement: it is the same Erna who has been here since February 28 at the latest. I do not get this confidence. Where did it come from, in view of the previous statements? :unsure:

As I said previously, I have no problems to call this eagle Erna. But I have a right, considering the circumstances, to doubt that it is the "original" Erna.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Now it is again a discussion thread. The same as last year :slap:

EDIT:
It doesn't matter which female is in the nest.
It doesn't help anyone to know, if it is the first Erna, or the second Erna.
We have no archive. The pictures here in the forum are not good enough for an idenification.
They also look different in different situations. And they are moulting constantly!
So it is pointless to write about it.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

March 08

good morning :hi:

the eagles are here
6:39 Male arrives. Female right after him :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:41 Female jumps on the left branch

6:42:52 Male too
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:48 Male went back in the nest

6:52:11 Male out

6:52:21 Female too
Trine

Post by Trine »

Liz01 wrote:Now it is again a discussion thread. The same as last year :slap:
We are definitely heading towards the same situation. One Truth. Other opinions, doubts and questioning are not allowed; they are "pointless". :nod:
This time, let´s avoid this trap. :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!

it seemed that the camera was running all night again. the archive is still nowhere to be found. :puzzled:
so no-one has been on the nest after 6:52?

it seems that i have again failed to make my point clear enough.... :faint:
the Discussion-thread has been open all the time and is ready to be used for further discussions of other nature than observations. the title says 2016 but nothing stops us from using it still. in the discussion concerning identification matters evidence in the form of pictures will make argumentation more reliable than plain "yes" or "no" opinions.
i wish that in the future this Observation thread is kept for observations only and that the Discussions thread will be used for further discussions concerning other matters.

btw: happy Women's day! :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Thank you Trine and Ame. This is for those, who must work much easier. :bow:
So I can decide, if I just like to see what happens here at the nest. Or I use the other thread, to see if you now know, who is who. :laugh:
It is also difficult, if you can not as good English, as it would be necessary.

Oh ja! Happy Womensday :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

9:10 i think i heard an eagle talking in the forest. :puzzled:
first a black woodpecker called.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame :headroll:

ftp://vilandes.ldf.lv/

http://dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopic.ph ... start=6020

BTW: The files can be opened with VLC Player!
ame

Post by ame »

aha, we have a new archive! :2thumbsup:
it starts at Feb 4 and there seem to be full coverage of videos.
thank you brachux and co-workers. :bow:

NoraR writes in DD (GT'ed):
"A new live video archive page - ftp://vilandes.ldf.lv/ Currently, white-tailed eagle and goshawk, in the near future the black stork.
Maybe there are recommendations for the max duration of the video, because it can be adjusted (1 hour, half hour, etc.)?
As well as no longer to be kept minutes of pictures, because the quality the same as that of the video. But from the video can be saved in the desired footage, not by chance, as it was before the minute pictures. "

so there will not be picture archive anymore.

i just wonder where the old archive is. it can't be deleted. :puzzled:

i asked about the old archive and NoraR replied that it is not public anymore. DD Fund has it in their server. she also told that from now on the camera will be working all the time.
ame

Post by ame »

i made clips of the eagles in the morning. in the following i shall call the white-tailed eagle the male and the spotty-bottomed eagle the female. i shall stick to this till their behaviour proves otherwise.
6:39 they arrived with a lot of agitated calls. i could not see what upset them. the male landed first and he was closely followed by the female. they worked (mostly walked around) on the nest. then the female went up to the branch.

6:42 the male jumped to the branch.

the picture by Liz shows that this female has the anchor-patter in her tail.
viewtopic.php?p=514784#p514784
ame

Post by ame »

6:48 he returned down.
i make clips of these transfers to and from a branch because they give us opportunity to see their tails. when they just stand still the long wing feathers almost always cover the tail completely.

6:52 the male flew out and the female followed him.

the picture by Liz shows that this male has medium-sized black spots on his tail.
viewtopic.php?p=514785#p514785

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”