Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Trine

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2016: Discussion

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:what? not Erna?
so far they have written, especially Verotaja, that it is Erna... or i have misunderstood what little useful-looking text GT has produced. :puzzled:
IF I understand correctly, yesterday early afternoon Verotaja (Observer by GT :laugh: ) informed the others that the girl is not Erna and that she will provide the evidence later (Girl should be called by another name, it is not Erna - as GT has it.)
sova

Post by sova »

Good Morning :hi:
A question; Is these female at all sexually mature? :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

we do not know, sova. i am inclined to think that they are not. these spotty-bottomed girls are attracted to males and they sometimes mate (almost?) but often shake the male off their back. i don't believe that they are mature enough to produce eggs yet. but we shall see...

i think they are "rehearsing" if such an expression is allowed. :rolleyes:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Liz01 wrote:Her wing is injured. That may be the reason why she don't like mating. Maybe it happened during a mating?.....
Anne7 wrote: .........
Edit: since all the visible problems (eye, wing, tail) are on the same side of her body, it could be that she hit something in flight. Yes, maybe a collision, I think. :puzzled:
Liz01 wrote:Maybe it happened at 3.04. As she went overboard ?
A collision seems unlikely. There were so many possibilities to hurt, during the fighting for the nest.
Yes, maybe a fight, that was also my first suggestion in the observations thread. Anyway, whatever happened, the day before she had her injured wing she only visited the nest in the morning (march 6), the rest of the day she wasn't there. Raimis waited for her.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Liz01 wrote:Her wing is injured. That may be the reason why she don't like mating. Maybe it happened during a mating?.....
Anne7 wrote:.........Edit: since all the visible problems (eye, wing, tail) are on the same side of her body, it could be that she hit something in flight. Yes, maybe a collision, I think. :puzzled:
Liz01 wrote:Maybe it happened at 3.04. As she went overboard ?
A collision seems unlikely. There were so many possibilities to hurt, during the fighting for the nest.
Marfo wrote:Yes, maybe a fight, that was also my first suggestion in the observations thread. Anyway, whatever happened, the day before she had her injured wing she only visited the nest in the morning (march 6), the rest of the day she wasn't there. Raimis waited for her.
Yes, of course it could also be the result of some fight, maybe she's been pushed and fell. But if that's the case, it didn't happen during the nest-ware of 3.04. On March 6 in the morning she still seemed ok, I looked at the video again. We observed there was a problem with the wing (and the eye and the tail) for the first time on March 7.
We will never know what happened. 8-)
The only thing that matters is that, hopefully, she'll recover completely!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote:Good Morning :hi:
A question; Is these female at all sexually mature? :puzzled:
Sova :hi:
We will soon know, if the mating(attempts) were successful or not.

Is an egg laid after mating?
Eagles mate 10 months out of the year, strengthening their bond and commitment to each other, but the female is only fertile for about 2+ weeks prior to and during her egg lay period. Her ova are ‘switched on’ by a hormone secreted by her pituitary gland, which is activated by increasing daylight length. They are ‘switched off’ by the hormone prolactin, which is associated with incubation. If copulation was successful during this period, an egg would be fertilized and one or more eggs would be expected. It is generally believed that a successful copulation takes place 5-10 days before an egg is laid.

http://www.raptorresource.org/2016/02/1 ... -creation/
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

In the first place: human are animals too.
Secondly: this forum is loaded with interpretations of bird behaviour from a human perspective.
I really don't understand why people make such a fuss about what Janne (or Ais) wrote. In my view there was nothing wrong with it.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Hagnat Thank you so much!!! You hit the point! :loveshower:
PS: Janne and Ais are the two ladies, which you can see in my Avatar. :D
ame

Post by ame »

now this is really going too far. i want this "discussion" about women to stop right now. it leads nowhere and only makes people unhappy. this Discussions-thread is not meant for that kind of discussions.
i'm sure that no offense or insult was intended so i wish that no-one feels insulted. let's be friends again. :bow:
Biker

Post by Biker »

:rotf:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

I looked around for more info about Sexual Maturity of the Eagles.

I found an interesting difference between the Bald and WTE:

WTE - Adult coloration will be acquired only by the age of 5-6 years when the eagles reach sexual maturity.

Bald Eagles - BE reproduce using sexual reproduction once they have reached the age of sexual maturity, typically around the age of 4 or 5.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Is someone able to make a good estimation of the age of the present young female?
I would think she is in her fourth year?, but I immediately add that I'm not very good in estimating the age of subadult eagles. And I couldn't find good documented information on the Internet.
Maybe she is reaching sexual maturity, maybe she isn't, but I doubt if she's otherwise 'mature' enough for a tough task as raising chicks?
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

I have also asked myself whether is she just ripe enough for this job? :unsure:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Anne7 wrote:Is someone able to make a good estimation of the age of the present young female?
I would think she is in her fourth year?, but I immediately add that I'm not very good in estimating the age of subadult eagles. And I couldn't find good documented information on the Internet.
Maybe she is reaching sexual maturity, maybe she isn't, but I doubt if she's otherwise 'mature' enough for a tough task as raising chicks?
Maybe this helps you?
http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/DENISIA_0027_0159-0171.pdf
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thanks Janne+Ais
I saved the PDF in my iBooks. Looks very interesting. I'll read it. :2thumbsup:

hoffentlich verstehe ich ausreichend die deutsche Sprache :laugh:
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote:Is someone able to make a good estimation of the age of the present young female?
here :laugh: that girls looks like 3rd winter - a bit young :rolleyes:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=269
sova

Post by sova »

Liz. . . . , however, our current lady does nothave any more thus one dark beak.
Although, she still has very dark eye :puzzled:

Thanks for the pictures, Liz.
I did not know it.

Janne+Ais. . . . thanks for the article. :thumbs:

It is very interesting.
Have, however, problems with these wholefeathers. :blush:
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from Observations by ame:
ame wrote:edit: this could be the girl who was here on Saturday evening fighting at the nest. this is very much like the Anchor girl. both have spotty bottoms and underparts, pearls on their backs and shoulders, but the tails are quite different. i began to call that female SpottyBar because the spots on the tail form a horizontal bar. sometimes the pattern also looks like a capital H. she was the spotty female who had white spots on her breast. - the curved feather is new. the SpottyBar girl did not have that.
the Anchor girl has a vertical stripe almost in the middle of the tail.
on 09 Mar 2017, 18:48 Anne7 wrote:Ame, sorry, but I'm afraid I really don't understand this edit.
Since when did you start calling a female SpottyBar, I think I didn't read that name before? :puzzled:
On Saturday there were 2 spotty girls fighting on the nest.
Spotty 1 = black lace = pearly back = Erna
Spotty 2 = Egyptian girl = white breasted girl = present female
Which one do you call Anchor girl, and which one do you call SpottyBar? :puzzled:

Ps : the curled feather in the tail is probably a result of the accident or fight that also caused a droopy wing, I believe.
ame

Post by ame »

quotes copied and removed from Observations by ame:
ame wrote:edit: this could be the girl who was here on Saturday evening fighting at the nest. this is very much like the Anchor girl. both have spotty bottoms and underparts, pearls on their backs and shoulders, but the tails are quite different. i began to call that female SpottyBar because the spots on the tail form a horizontal bar. sometimes the pattern also looks like a capital H. she was the spotty female who had white spots on her breast. - the curved feather is new. the SpottyBar girl did not have that.
the Anchor girl has a vertical stripe almost in the middle of the tail.
on 09 Mar 2017, 18:48 Anne7 wrote:Ame, sorry, but I'm afraid I really don't understand this edit.
Since when did you start calling a female SpottyBar, I think I didn't read that name before? :puzzled:
On Saturday there were 2 spotty girls fighting on the nest.
Spotty 1 = black lace = pearly back = Erna
Spotty 2 = Egyptian girl = white breasted girl = present female
Which one do you call Anchor girl, and which one do you call SpottyBar? :puzzled:

Ps : the curled feather in the tail is probably a result of the accident or fight that also caused a droopy wing, I believe.
yes, you are rihgt, i haven't written about SpottyBar before. i called her SpottyBar since only a few hours ago. SpottyBar was the girl who was involved in the fights on Saturday evening. she had white breast, too. i think it is best to call the eagles with some descriptive names so i'm trying to designate them with names which help me (us) to recognize them. the Anchor girl is the female who came after Lady and who was called Erna and many other names, too (i think; there's a lot of confusion around Erna). bot SpottyBar and Anchor had pearls on their backs so that characteristic does not help to separate them.

i have thought about the present girl more, the girl with the curved feather on the right side of her tail and the injured wing... it is possible that she is not the SpottyBar after all. i can't say yet. i'll have do more research.

about the male(s) i haven't got many clues yet except that Tramp (BigSpots-RightAngle) probably was replaced by a male whose backside of the wing was round. he also had two medium-sized black spots on his tail. he may the same male who is still with us but i'm not sure. somewhere in between there was a male with very small spots on the Tail. i have called him SmallSpots. all these 'names' are so far only in my book-keeping.
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from Observations by ame:
on 09 Mar 2017, 19:23 Trine wrote:I second to Anne7. Too many "names". :faint:
Since this issue was widely discussed in the discussion thread, it would perhaps be better to stick to "names" that were used there, please.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”