Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2016: Discussion

Post by ame »

quotes copied and removed from Observations by ame:
Anne7 wrote:Ps : the curled feather in the tail is probably a result of the accident or fight that also caused a droopy wing, I believe.
on 09 Mar 2017, 19:40 Marfo wrote:My thought exactly, could very well be the case. And maybe the injured eye as well.
discussion in the Discussions-thread please.
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:yes, you are rihgt, i haven't written about SpottyBar before. i called her SpottyBar since only a few hours ago. SpottyBar was the girl who was involved in the fights on Saturday evening. she had white breast, too. i think it is best to call the eagles with some descriptive names so i'm trying to designate them with names which help me (us) to recognize them. the Anchor girl is the female who came after Lady and who was called Erna and many other names, too (i think; there's a lot of confusion around Erna). bot SpottyBar and Anchor had pearls on their backs so that characteristic does not help to separate them.

i have thought about the present girl more, the girl with the curved feather on the right side of her tail and the injured wing... it is possible that she is not the SpottyBar after all. i can't say yet. i'll have do more research.

about the male(s) i haven't got many clues yet except that Tramp (BigSpots-RightAngle) probably was replaced by a male whose backside of the wing was round. he also had two medium-sized black spots on his tail. he may the same male who is still with us but i'm not sure. somewhere in between there was a male with very small spots on the Tail. i have called him SmallSpots. all these 'names' are so far only in my book-keeping.
So you have reached the same conclusion with Marfo, Anne, and others :thumbs:

I think that the new names are not helping. Erna is gone anyway. I also suspect that most people do not see this "bar" on the tail. Perhaps better to keep the new names in your book-keeping?

Also, I got the impression that Verotaja (in DD) is now very much engaged in finding out who is who. It is worth to see what she finds out and what names DD people will use. I believe their decisions will be well-grounded (despite the previous and short-lived confusion with Erna).
ame

Post by ame »

ame wrote:edit: this could be the girl who was here on Saturday evening fighting at the nest. this is very much like the Anchor girl. both have spotty bottoms and underparts, pearls on their backs and shoulders, but the tails are quite different. i began to call that female SpottyBar because the spots on the tail form a horizontal bar. sometimes the pattern also looks like a capital H. she was the spotty female who had white spots on her breast. - the curved feather is new. the SpottyBar girl did not have that.
the Anchor girl has a vertical stripe almost in the middle of the tail.
on 09 Mar 2017, 19:56 Trine wrote:Discussions in the discussion thread, please.
Rules apply to everyone.
thank you Trine.
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote:Trine, the way, how you criticize is very unpleasant for me. I don't like this thread anymore.
on 09 Mar 2017, 20:52 Anne7 wrote: :shock:
Liz, I like you a lot and I really appreciate all the great work you (and Ame) do...
You're a very nice and helpful person, I believe.

But Trine isn't criticizing!
I also like Trine a lot!
She's clever, alert and to the point.
And very helpful too.
She can be straight forward, yes, but she's never rude.

Ame, you can delete this post, or do with it whatever you want,
I just had to say this in this place, because I don't like unfair remarks.
ame

Post by ame »

i think that also this Discussion thread should be used for discussion relevant to the Juras-Erglis eagles.
thank you.
:offtobed:
Biker

Post by Biker »

you are right Anne7, ame is also right with removing all posts which does not fit in the thread and Trine is right. There is no problem at all. We all can do it as i did in the afternoon: delete the content of posts which bother other members. that is not meant ironic or meant to bother anyone in any way.
All things we do or write in affect. we all can solve such things self - we have just to want it
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Anne7 wrote:hoffentlich verstehe ich ausreichend die deutsche Sprache :laugh:
I'm convinced that you are! Your German is brilliant. And there are many pictures. :D
Otherwise frankly ask for help, maybe I can translate some text passage.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thanks Janne+Ais
I already started reading. It's interesting indeed.
And ... 'brilliant' is a serious overstatement :mrgreen: but
ich schaff es so gut wie möglich
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

ame wrote:
Liz01 wrote:Trine, the way, how you criticize is very unpleasant for me. I don't like this thread anymore.
on 09 Mar 2017, 20:52 Anne7 wrote: :shock:
Liz, I like you a lot and I really appreciate all the great work you (and Ame) do...
You're a very nice and helpful person, I believe.

But Trine isn't criticizing!
I also like Trine a lot!
She's clever, alert and to the point.
And very helpful too.
She can be straight forward, yes, but she's never rude.

Ame, you can delete this post, or do with it whatever you want,
I just had to say this in this place, because I don't like unfair remarks.
I really don't understand what the point is of writing a post with quotes of other people who react to a post that you have deleted (I assume) and not giving any comment on why you quote these remarks.
What do you want to tell us with this post?
Also Biker's post is abracadabra to me. viewtopic.php?p=515175#p515175
Maybe it is best to remove all posts releted to the removed posts because this thread is unreadable now.
Biker

Post by Biker »

@ Marfo
ames qoutes refers to this post from Trine viewtopic.php?p=515165#p515165 (you have supposed it was deleted)
ame has cleaned up these two threads. I thought: well done!
I deleted a few of my posts self. This really conciliatory intentioned "abacadabra" post I don't want delete.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I delete my post. It has nothing to do with the distinction of eagle feathers or eagle eyes.
ame

Post by ame »

Marfo wrote:I really don't understand what the point is of writing a post with quotes of other people who react to a post that you have deleted (I assume) and not giving any comment on why you quote these remarks.
What do you want to tell us with this post?
Also Biker's post is abracadabra to me. viewtopic.php?p=515175#p515175
Maybe it is best to remove all posts releted to the removed posts because this thread is unreadable now.
i have copied the quoted posts (with timing information) from the Observations -topic to the Discussions -topic because i cannot simply move them. i have moderators rights which are limited to WTE topics. these rights don't include moving posts. it was too complicated to include them in my rights when i became a moderator. the administrator team looked for how it could be done but it was too difficult. the board is incredibly complicated bulk of software. i'm not even sure what i can do but i know that i can edit, delete, lock and unlock posts and create new topics within the WTE and Questions threads.
oh yes and i forgot: i can lock and unlock topics under my moderation zone.

- i got a special colour for my username, the violet blue. it was my special request and it was easily achieved. :mrgreen:

i don't wish to delete the quoted contributions. deleting someone's post is a thing which i don't like to do because very few people take it calmly.
all the deleted posts are archived by all administrators and moderators.

i hope this answer sheds some light on your not-understanding, Marfo.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Thank you for you explanation, ame.
I could not know it was 'moved' from the observations thread. Last year you added the line:
'copied and removed from Observations'
which made it very clear why some posts had no apparent context. Now it is just a pile of posts impossible to understand.
Also Liz' remark made me think something terrible had been written. Not so, it seems.
ame

Post by ame »

hmm, maybe you are right Marfo: i should add that comment to those posts. i was rather busy yesterday when i was rearranging the posts and that did not come to my mind.
thanks.

ok, i've marked the copied and moved posts. i hope i remembered them all.
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:ok, i've marked the copied and moved posts. i hope i remembered them all.
Thank you. (My post from 8.23 pm was not copied-moved - but no big deal, really.)
Thank you everyone.
None of my words have been deleted, all the "terrible" things I wrote are still visible :nod:

Thank you Liz, for deleting your words this morning.
Perhaps it´s relevant to remind that there is a possibility to send also personal messages in this forum (for really personal stuff).
ame

Post by ame »

the mistake which Trine noted in the 8:23 pm-post is corrected now.
ame

Post by ame »

now i have managed to wade through the video and picture material from February 28th till March 4th. i chose Feb 28 as a starting point because i believe that we had a consensus about who was who on the nest. Lady was seen on Feb 27 for the last time. then she had flown away and Tramp was left alone.

i am so bad in reading eagle plumages that i had to study the most prominent feature in the appearance of each eagle to be able to separate them individually. the contrast between the black spots on the more or less white tail is so large that the tail patterns are 'readable' also in low light levels. of course it is also needed that the eagles be willing to show their tails. patterns of the wing feathers (or even smaller details) cannot be reliably seen in poor light conditions.

after i had found the tail pattern of each eagle i designated working names for them. the names describe the most prominent feature of each eagle. we have already renamed someone in this way. on Tramps' wing there was a light narrow feather in the back edge of the wing which seemed to form a right angle with the lower edge of the wing. Tramp was hence called RightAngle, too. in the following i shall keep the name Tramp because this name had become established.

i wasn't quite happy with the right angle feature as a distinguishing marker because such a white feather might be a downy feather which may drop away. the feathers on the wing might also be slightly displaced relative to each other. thus the wing feathers (also feathers on the back) might look different at different times.
in this picture Tramp is together with Erna.

Tramp also has black lines on the upper edge of the tail on both side. i have called these stripes 'mustache'. Tramp has a real walrus mustache: the side stripes can sometimes be seen from under folded wing feathers. the picture below shows Tramp's tail.

the identity of Erna raised questions so i shall call her (the original Erna) Anchor because she had a very unique anchor-like pattern on her tail.

in the following summaries i'll add links to our observations and also to my picture albums in the Photobucket. i have also made playlists of the videos that i have made and the links to the lists are in the beginning of the summaries.
i shall not post very many pictures here, but there are a lot more in the albums. i still need to do some reorganizing in the albums so some pictures may be temporarily unavailable. if some pictures stay missing for a longer time please let me know.
ame

Post by ame »

Feb 28
observations begin here:
viewtopic.php?p=513127#p513127
picture album:
http://s561.photobucket.com/user/anmael ... t=9&page=1
playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TLXRj_xnvZ

9:07:08 - 9:09:36 Tramp visited.

9:12:44 - 9:13:09 Anchor visited.

9:13:11 - 9:14:40 an eagle with white tail and very small unsymmetrical spots visited. hence the name TinySpots. the left spot is larger and higher than the right.

9:15:09 Anchor returned. someone pooped on her back at 9:16:38.

it was TinySpots who dropped down from the top at 9:16:41.
9:17:52 Anchor flew out.
9:17:54 another white-tailed eagle, probably Tramp kicked TinySpots out of the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

9:22:04 TinySpots in.
9:22:05 Anchor in.
9:25:27 another white-tailed eagle, probably Tramp kicked TinySpots out.

Anchor and TinySpots quarreled first.
9:28:52 Tramp out.

9:50:42 Tramp in. soon Anchor started kissing Tramp.
10:02 mating attempt.
10:11 mating attempt.
11:02:48 Tramp out.
11:06:52 Anchor out.

12:42:15 Anchor in. 12:42:16 Tramp in.
12:56:21 Tramp out. 12:56:25 Anchor out.

12:57:23 Anchor in. 12:57:32 Tramp in.
13:00:52 Tramp out. 13:01:02 Anchor out.

etc. this flying in and out together went on the rest of the day. Tramp had a new girlfriend after Lady. the people in DD began to call the new girlfriend Erna but i shall call her Anchor.
ame

Post by ame »

March 1
begins here:
viewtopic.php?p=513356#p513356
picture album:
playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9x4R4HYsnC

the only eagles who were seen were the new couple Tramp and Anchor (Erna).

March 2
begins here:
viewtopic.php?p=513558#p513558
picture album:
playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TC0Zqhie5w

the only eagles who were seen were the new couple Tramp and Anchor (Erna).

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”