Estonian Osprey Nest (Irma & Ivo) 2017

IceAge

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Irma & Ivo) 2017

Post by IceAge »

14:31

fish for the lady

*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

Second half fish for Lady
14:31

Riitta

Post by Riitta »

14:39 Mating!
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

15:39 Again mating. Ivo takes the same minute as before. :mrgreen:
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Riitta

Post by Riitta »

17:44 Lady 718 on the nest. Then Ivo was coming with a pretty fish. But soon he takes off with it. No possibility for 718 to grab it.

After minutes 718 is calling for fish.

17:58 Ivo flys in - without any fish. Unsuccessful landing on the back of his Lady 718. Ivo takes off.
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

18:22 Funny mating attempt.
8-)

:mrgreen:

:rotf:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Ivo says:" Come on lady, let us make leg- up!" :laugh: I love your backside.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
jillian

Post by jillian »

Considering all the mating Ivo has done and the fact that the last time he was on her back was mainly just a bonding ritual of standing there surfing, does this mean the female now referred to as Lady 718 is Ivo's permanent mate?

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Gives it the first egg soon?
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

jillian wrote:Considering all the mating Ivo has done and the fact that the last time he was on her back was mainly just a bonding ritual of standing there surfing, does this mean the female now referred to as Lady 718 is Ivo's permanent mate?
I think it is so. :nod:
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

18:47 Next mating attempt.

Please fresh ideas...my sweet :loveshower: Latvian Lady.

In the end of the season - we can fly together.
jillian

Post by jillian »

Birdfriend wrote:I think it is so. :nod:
Good for Lady 718, too bad for the Irma fans (including myself). I'll go update my website. Thanks, Birdfriend. :2thumbsup:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Birdfriend wrote:I think it is so. :nod:
jillian wrote:Good for Lady 718, too bad for the Irma fans (including myself). I'll go update my website. Thanks, Birdfriend. :2thumbsup:
Nothing is written on the wall yet - remember the situation between Oksana and Piret - Oksana had already laid an egg, but Piret arriving late didn't give up and chased Oksana away, with the result that the egg never hatched even if Madis incubated it alone quite a while. And Piret never laid eggs that summer as far as we know. (EDIT: though we were informed that Piret a couple of years ago nested on the Latvian border with an unknown spouse and had chicks)
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

The most important fact is, that it gives successfully clutches for these beautiful birds. All others are only humans wishes...
@ Owlie: I have answered jillians question. Ivo accepted lady 718 as his mate at this time.
jillian

Post by jillian »

Something I am looking forward to: Lady 718 is positively glowing! I'm sensing a lot of eggs in this nest's future.

:loveshower:

Bea

Post by Bea »

jillian wrote:Good for Lady 718, too bad for the Irma fans (including myself). I'll go update my website. Thanks, Birdfriend. :2thumbsup:
I´d say several scenarios are still imaginable, it is still possible that Irma will return - there are still ospreys on migration home and the ugly weather on many northern/eastern parts of the route could delay their coming-home.

If Irma will return she will surely not give up this nest without battling for it - it is a great place with food in overflow, worth to defend it. Nobody knows the result of such a battle.

If she will not return I suppose 718 will become the resident female this year ... she is already on the nest for too long to be only a passing traveller.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

Lady did not take the fish, Ivo left with it.
19:25

jillian

Post by jillian »

Bea wrote: I´d say several scenarios are still imaginable, it is still possible that Irma will return - there are still ospreys on migration home and the ugly weather on many northern/eastern parts of the route could delay their coming-home.

If Irma will return she will surely not give up this nest without battling for it - it is a great place with food in overflow, worth to defend it. Nobody knows the result of such a battle.

If she will not return I suppose 718 will become the resident female this year ... she is already on the nest for too long to be only a passing traveller.
Very true, Bea, which is why when I did my update, I made sure to mention the fact that there is still the possibility of Irma's return and that I will continue to update my site as the season continues. I write the update in a different kind of type (after the word Update:) next to the nest's regular description with the link.

I do the same with Mati and Mai's nest which included today's update about Mai's still possible return as well as LF's sudden disappearance and the new unbanded female's appearance. I like to keep people informed.
Bea

Post by Bea »

*sigh*

I only hope for "Happy Ends" for both nests .... it is still not sure for both .... Image
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”