Re: Black Stork Tracks

Post by Solo »

EEDI

Solo

Post by Solo »

Previos year - 2016
birdmap

KARL - 25.11.2016 (Nov. 25)/last data in autumn 2016/winter
Urmas wrote (2016): Karl is most probably out of GSM network - new data: March 9! (2017)

EEDI - 19.11.2016 (Nov. 19) - 1.12. – 12.12. – 23. 12. (24.) – 30.12.- 12.1. - ...
Urmas wrote (2016): Data from Eedi during winter we receive after every 10 days through satellites, therefore long to wait for next ones.

probably we will have new data from Eedi on Dec. 7 - 8, but from Karl :puzzled: :bow:
we only can hope, that our storks are doing well :shake:
:wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo :hi:

great pictures :2thumbsup: Did you use google earth?

Thanks for the comparison from the previous year. It helps me to become not hysterical :mrgreen:

I very much hope, that our latvian Storks are doing well too :bow: (and all other.. hungaria, poland...)
Solo

Post by Solo »

:hi: Liz,
Liz01 wrote: ...great pictures ... Did you use google earth? ...
only googlemaps for that
Liz01 wrote: ...Thanks for the comparison from the previous year. It helps me to become not hysterical :mrgreen:
me too :mrgreen:
Liz01 wrote: I very much hope, that our latvian Storks are doing well too ... (and all other.. hungaria, poland...)
me too :headroll: .... I understand not, why storks with transmitter have update (or info) so rarely this year :bow:
Dagmar

Post by Dagmar »

Thank you Solo for the pictures. :wave:
Only now I realize the immense vastness, which the birds are flying. On the map it does not look as far as on the globe.
You are doing wonderful work for us. :thumbs:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Dagmar wrote: ... You are doing wonderful work for us. :thumbs:
I am very pleased when the information comfort you and we all learn from it :wave:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Last year Eedi had another transmitter, but now there is no any waiting days for data. Only what limits it is GSM coverage. Seems not always there in wintering area Eedi is accessible for data download.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

December 2

Good Morning :hi:
Urmas wrote:Last year Eedi had another transmitter, but now there is no any waiting days for data. Only what limits it is GSM coverage. Seems not always there in wintering area Eedi is accessible for data download.
Thank you Urmas :2thumbsup:
The new transmitter works well! We have new data from Eedi :laugh:

Solo, :hi: work for you! You do it best :mrgreen:
it is too early, I need coffee
Solo

Post by Solo »

Good morning Liz, and all :hi:
I have my coupe coffee :mrgreen:

Urmas, Ty for info :thumbs:

goris EEDI and KARL

EEDI
Distance: 7751km, Last data: 01.12.2017, plus 100km/4day (27.11.2017 - 7651km)

change

Eedi was south from dam area

wadi Bisha and the King Fahad Dam (also Bisha Dam) from above
http://www.picluck.net/media/1112494056 ... 4_37417129
Solo

Post by Solo »

favourite area

muche time he was in this area (stream) - flew north (night) and back
Solo

Post by Solo »

EEDI is in new wadi - Wadi Tarj area: more green, more populated place (first this year)
populated place

current location
Solo

Post by Solo »

Rita

Post by Rita »

Thank you, Solo 8-)

A stupid question which I never dared to ask: Black Storks are very secretive birds which need their peace and quiet and forest to breed.

Where they go for wintering is barren land, do they find enough shelter and food? Are there Black Storks who winter elsewhere, I mean not in a desert?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Rita :hi:

There are no stupid questions :laugh: We are curious, that's how we learn. This includes asking questions.

Here you can see the wintering areas from our Black Stork. The map is not up to date. There are also areas in Saudi Arabia. Eedi is there! The blue areas indicate, the winter areas from the European black storks.

They eat snakes, lizards and similar animals. But they also need water. They do not wintering in the desert.

Solo, thank you for the update :bow: :2thumbsup:

Solo :mrgreen: two answers are better than no answer! we have the same thoughts ..
Solo

Post by Solo »

Rita wrote:... Where they go for wintering is barren land, do they find enough shelter and food? Are there Black Storks who winter elsewhere, I mean not in a desert?
Rita, it is very unusual/rare wintering area for black storks, but Eedi was successful in this area also previous year (2016, 2015 - with transmitter).
In Saudi Arabia, 200 to 300 storks are probably wintering in wadi's with permanent water in winter. (source http://www.aves.be/fileadmin/Aves/Bulle ... -4_127.pdf)

Ciconia_nigra_Eurasian_Migration (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzstorch#Westzieher) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_stork

they are also trees, and storks spend the night also on rocks
in SA, Asír region photo https://goo.gl/maps/NMAPkYRQAJC2

it is not in SA (photo http://www.krumenacker.de/sites/default ... 4h8961.jpg also http://www.krumenacker.de/sites/default ... at-mts.jpg)

Btw. “There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.” Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote:... Solo, thank you for the update ... Solo :mrgreen: two answers are better than no answer! we have the same thoughts ..
probably yes :headroll: :wave:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello everyone! :wave:

Thank you Solo and Liz for all observations, comments and pics!
Rita, your question is very interesting.

Apparently, there is not very much information available about BS wintering in Africa.
This is what I found.

Study of fall migration of Black Storks (Ciconia nigra) by satellite telemetry, Aves, 40 (1-4) 2003 : 155 - 164
Most wintering grounds of Black Storks breeding in Europe are located in Sub-Saharan Africa. Most common natural habitats in wintering grounds are grassy, shrubby or tree-scattered savannah, enriched with water points, ponds or rivers (BOUSQUET, 1992). When human pressure is moderate, open habitats and low tree canopy favour the presence of Black Storks (D. Chevallier. Bird Study (2010) 57, 369–380).
When BS arrive on their wintering sites, the rainy season is just over and water levels in wadis and rivers are at their highest. With the progression of the dry season, those wadis dry up, leaving small separated pools behind where BS can easily catch fish (a very easy prey by then). The storks follow the drying of wadis, and finally come closer to the main rivers (HOURLAY, 1999).
(A wadi is a riverbed that is drying up during the dry season.)
Adults show a real fidelity to their wintering sites, as they do for their breeding sites. Immature BS (first and second years of their existence) have to search for sites that meet all the necessary features. Juveniles prospect widely for suitable habitats during their first winter periods.

(Chevallier D., Duponnois R., Baillon F., Brossault P., Grégoire J-M., Eva H., Le Maho Y. & Massemin S. 2010. The importance of roosts for Black Storks Ciconia nigra wintering in West Africa. Ardea 98: 91–96.)
Nocturnal roost of Black Storks is often situated in dead trees (46%) or poor-health trees (37%), and rarely in healthy trees.
Black Storks use on average 41 different nocturnal roosts during the wintering period.
Roosting trees were on average located at 3 km from foraging places.

URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00063651003678467
During wintering in Africa, Black Storks feed almost exclusively on fish (Chevallier et al. 2008) and follow the river courses. (Libois & Jadoul 1997, Jadoul 1998, Jadoul 1999) (However, during the breeding period in Europe BS consume a wider variety of food items including insects, fishes, small mammals, snakes, amphibians, lizards and passerine chicks.)
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Rita

Post by Rita »

Solo, Liz01 & Anne7: Thank you for explaining. Very interesting, also the part about roosting. This is the first season that I am following the BS migration thread. :blush:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote:... Rita, your question is very interesting. Apparently, there is not very much information available about BS wintering in Africa. This is what I found: ...
:hi: Anne7,
TY very much for all yours source :thumbs:

The situation in Saudi Arabia, Bisha and Tarj Valley is another one - not the same how in Afrika (and Afrika is also not the same in all areas/very different where BS wintering). I think Eedis wintering area is very specific :puzzled: .

Btw. nocturnal roost of BS is not only in trees, it is situated also on power poles - e.g. Abu Na'ama (Sennar, Sudan) viewtopic.php?p=556541#p556541 and they are enough much photos storks roosting on rocks/mountains in Sharm el Sheikh area - for example: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/16661652 ... google.com
Solo

Post by Solo »

Rita wrote:Solo, Liz01 & Anne7: Thank you for explaining. Very interesting, also the part about roosting. This is the first season that I am following the BS migration thread. :blush:
Rita, welcome in this topics :gathering:

(in this thread are very few comments - it seems, that only Liz is interested :D - only rarely somebody else :bow: )

Return to “Migration Maps and News”