Latvian black storks - 2018

Black Stork nests in Latvia
Liz01

Re: Latvian black storks - 2018

Post by Liz01 »

Michi, 19:03:08 you can see movement in an egg.

Now it rains.. tomorrow too
https://www.yr.no/sted/Latvia/Sigulda/Sigulda/
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Image (Video :thumbs:) :D
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm I'm not pretty sure, but I think there are three eggs with holes
I think this is quite probable. We have seen several holes. It is a bit difficult to distinguish one from the other respectively to see, to which egg it belongs. I mean, theoretical an egg can have two holes on opposite side. Normally we can see only one side of the egg. Because of the egg rollings we have every time a different view. That makes it difficult for us to know exactly, what is going on.
I hope it is understandable what I mean.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Michi wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:54 pm I think this is quite probable. We have seen several holes. It is a bit difficult to distinguish one from the other respectively to see, to which egg it belongs. I mean, theoretical an egg can have two holes on opposite side. Normally we can see only one side of the egg. Because of the egg rollings we have every time a different view. That makes it difficult for us to know exactly, what is going on.
I hope it is understandable what I mean.
Michi, I understand what you mean. I thought so too.
Only it seems somewhat unlikely, that the chick turns again when it has the right position for hatching. :puzzled:
It's not pretty sure, that holes are in three eggs. But I'm sure at two eggs.
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:31 pm Michi, 19:03:08 you can see movement in an egg.
I have watched now several times, but haven't seen any moving. You probably mean, an egg has moved? As there was no hole to see at this time ... But I couldn't see a moving egg.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

20:18 another digging. All eggs without a hole :mrgreen:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Michi wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:24 pm I have watched now several times, but haven't seen any moving. You probably mean, an egg has moved? As there was no hole to see at this time ... But I couldn't see a moving egg.
here is the video. You can see the egg shell is lifted by an chick
viewtopic.php?p=585880#p585880
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:27 pm here is the video. You can see the egg shell is lifted by an chick
viewtopic.php?p=585880#p585880
Haha, now I've seen it! :laugh:
You really need eagle eyes or enlargement to see that!
But you are absolutely right. :2thumbsup: The storklet was working and pushed out the egg shell.
So cute when I imagine the little worker in the egg. :D
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:23 pm Only it seems somewhat unlikely, that the chick turns again when it has the right position for hatching. :puzzled:
What do you mean? Because I wrote about two holes on opposite side? Then I unterstand your thoughts. I've also thought about it. I have no idea, if it is a problem for a chick, to turn around in the egg. If turning around is hardly possible, then it's unlikely that an egg has holes on opposite sides. The storklet will work furthermore on its first crack. But this was only an example I've written about, - to illustrate how difficult it is, to relate the holes to the eggs.

Liz01 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:23 pm It's not pretty sure, that holes are in three eggs. But I'm sure at two eggs.
It is not hundred percent sure, but quite probable. Today is minimum day 32 for the first three eggs. Maybe for egg No. 1 and 2 it's already day 33, because every now and then the storks had incubated the first two eggs. I think, because of that it is possible and likely that three eggs have a hole. But we will see.

I have the feeling, that at this nest we (me too) are not so patiently as normally. I have thought about a possible reason. This could be - at least for me - the chick in Gemenc, which has perhaps needed too much time to hatch and maybe therefore could not survive.
I remember many other hatchings in previous years, when we were totally patient and without any worry. But now we (?) are more sensitive. We know, that hatching should not take too long.
At the moment I think, all is in order here. And I'm also sure that there are holes in at least two eggs.
Michi

Post by Michi »

20:16 It rains; sounds like a normal summer rain. It’s not windy.

20:17 Kaupo got up and shook off the rain drops.

He piled the eggs up. This is always interesting to see. :D

The holes at the two eggs on the right showed both in the same direction.
Michi

Post by Michi »

21:39 Digging the nest bowl and egg rolling.

Enlargement

Kaupo got up again only three minutes later, at 21:42. He rolled the eggs and digged the bowl.

As the pictures are from two different diggings, I can't say, if the egg with the crack was both times the same. Though for me the holes look quite similar.
Michi

Post by Michi »

23:03 Just now I hear loud egg talking from at least two different storklets. Two different voices! For sure! :D
I can't see anything but it seems, that Kaupo is up and digs the bowl. Therefore the storklets are good to hear.

Edit:
Meanwhile I’ve heard the voices again and again. The two voices I’ve meant to hear were not at the same time; they appear one after the other. First, at 23:02, it was a deeper voice. Suddenly - at 23:03:02 - I heard a much brighter voice.
Then it came to my mind, that maybe there were not two storklets talking, but only one, which at that time must have broken a bigger hole in the egg shell – if not more – and therefore its voice sounds brighter, - it was no longer muted because of the shell.
I think this is more plausible, because the different sounds/voices came one after the other, not together.
I admit, this is also a bit speculation. It was dark and nothing to see. But there must be a reason for the different sounds.

The storklet I’ve heard - especially at 23:02 - was definitely very, very hard working on the egg shell. One could hear that clearly.
I’m excited what we will see tomorrow.

Good night! :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

May 18

Good Morning Michi and all :hi:

I see egg shell on the nest edge :bounce:

We have two little storklets :loveshower: :loveshower:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

4:17 The first Storklet is visible. The second is half out of egg shell

4:34 The second Storklets is almost out of eggshell :headroll:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

4:49 here it is... the second little one :loveshower:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

5:25 Kaupo is digging in the nest bowl. The little ones are chirping :innocent:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Michi wrote: May 17th, 2018, 9:24 pm What do you mean? Because I wrote about two holes on opposite side? Then I unterstand your thoughts. I've also thought about it. I have no idea, if it is a problem for a chick, to turn around in the egg. If turning around is hardly possible, then it's unlikely that an egg has holes on opposite sides. The storklet will work furthermore on its first crack. But this was only an example I've written about, - to illustrate how difficult it is, to relate the holes to the eggs.
Michi :hi: thank you for your report and pictures :bow: :2thumbsup:

The chick turns only once, to get into the right position. Then it pushes a hole in the eggshell with it's egg-tooth.
It will then press, until it's neck is stretched. That's the end of the hatching process.
Should someone close the hole, the chick would turn, but the neck remains stretched. It suffocate.

So it does not turn. It always stays in the same position, if everything goes normally.

One has made experiments and gained this knowledge. Whether I like such attempts, no!
Michi wrote: May 17th, 2018, 11:06 pm ........
The storklet I’ve heard - especially at 23:02 - was definitely very, very hard working on the egg shell. One could hear that clearly.
I’m excited what we will see tomorrow.
two of them :innocent:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

5:52 Gaja has arrived home with a bunch moss

I hear an little one begging :innocent:

and I hear egg talk
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:09 Another turn by Gaja ..egg talk is clearly to hear

6:13 Kaupo brings a huge branch
6:22 another branch is brought
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:25 Gaja stands up.. both are in feeding position :laugh:

one of them is twittering.. but is is not necessary to feed right now.

Video includes the change and several nest digging. You can hear the egg talk and the begging call from an little one

Return to “Black Storks”