Estonian Osprey Nest (Irma & Ivo) 2018

seira

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Irma & Ivo) 2018

Post by seira »

Sunshine,
Chicks are growing quickly, I also often confuse them when I don’t always watch the cam. I remember someone saying that why did the chicks not have their foot ring when they were born ? This will not confuse :D
:gathering:

Bea, I miss your fish topic, It was very interesting and fun. I remember if I couldn’t recognize what the fish was, anyway, it was a Carp family. :D
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Juri wrote: June 13th, 2018, 4:07 pm Hello Birdfriend! :wave:

Do you know if there is a notable difference in survival rate between the youngest and elder birds? I would assume that when food is limited, it's the youngest who suffers, but I'm wondering how is it in situations where there is plenty of food available. Does the pecking lower the survival rate?
Hi, Juri! I don't know exactly. You are right, when the food is less, will it difficult for the youngest to survive the nest stage. I think the pecking (bonking) is normal between the siblings until to a certain point. This is not a reason for a lower survival rate. But it gives nests with an very high potential of aggression most against the youngest and in special cases it can end lethal.
But I don't know, if the youngest or elder chicks more chances have to survive. The first year is very crucial, some say, the submissive chicks have a better chance, because they have learned to wait for food and could also sharing preys. with others.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Juri

Post by Juri »

Sunshine wrote: June 13th, 2018, 5:50 pm Hmm, seira, you seem to be right.. :puzzled: I checked the videos. All the time the chick No #1 was the lightest from shading, the change was really sudden..
I am sorry for this confusion :blush:
Sunshine, don't worry! I was puzzled by this too. Even after several years of following, I'm still amazed, how fast the chicks grow. :shock:
Juri

Post by Juri »

Birdfriend wrote: June 13th, 2018, 7:01 pm The first year is very crucial, some say, the submissive chicks have a better chance, because they have learned to wait for food and could also sharing preys. with others.
This is an interesting theory!
Juri

Post by Juri »

Around 20:19 Ivo brought half a fish, witch wasn't very big. The Smallie got none!! Zero pieces of fish! :slap:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Birdfriend wrote: June 13th, 2018, 7:01 pm The first year is very crucial, some say, the submissive chicks have a better chance, because they have learned to wait for food and could also sharing preys. with others.
It is logical, the position as the "weakest" can train patience and creative intellect to cope with circumstances what ever they are. The smallest does not get anything free, it needs its creativity to survive. The oldest maybe has it easier as the strongest physically - but does not need to work (its intellect) for its position.
chicktrick

Post by chicktrick »

Juri wrote: June 13th, 2018, 8:28 pm Around 20:19 Ivo brought half a fish, witch wasn't very big. The Smallie got none!! Zero pieces of fish! :slap:
Don't worry small chocolate is getting enough. Irma is great Mum and Ivo is providing well. Small choco doesn't need as much because he is smaller.
Rita

Post by Rita »

14th June 2018; 08:36 hours:

Chicks sleeping with a bit of morning sun, Irma preening:

Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Good morning,
All three up to get some food
Bea

Post by Bea »

seira wrote: June 13th, 2018, 6:26 pm Bea, I miss your fish topic, It was very interesting and fun. I remember if I couldn’t recognize what the fish was, anyway, it was a Carp family. :D
:laugh: Sometimes it is definitely still not easy to identify which fish we see .... especially when they have no more head or are even half eaten already :rolleyes:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

:hi:
10:55
The kids are all enjoying another lovely, sunny day.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

11:11
Ivo brings a fish. A... small fish :laugh:

11:13
The small choco is squeezed in between both eldest :shock:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

12:11
Precisely one hour later - another delivery!

Kids are all eating with a good appetite. Irma is feeding them very carefully - one morsel in each beak.
No wonder that they grow so fast - with such a good fisherman as their dad and such an experienced, attentive mum. :rolleyes:

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

12:26
The feeding is finished; everyone is knocked out. :D

mogga

Post by mogga »

:wave:

This is the day of home remodelling.
From 4:00 to 10:00 I found 10 (!) deliveries of branches and bark.

Here are three of them.

Summi

Post by Summi »

What happened to the kid Irma stepped on? I cannot watch!
ED: Irma was moving a forky branch and stepped several times on the smallest (?). I cannot make pictures and forgot to fix the exact time.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

mogga wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:08 pm This is the day of home remodelling.
From 4:00 to 10:00 I found 10 (!) deliveries of branches and bark.
:hi: mogga, I also saw that the nest seems re-furnished today, thanks for looking into this :laugh:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

From 13:03 to 13:09 there was an interesting, longer episode of family interaction. First Ivo arrived with a half-fish, he looked confused for a while (as dads sometimes are when alone at home with kids :laugh:); then Irma arrived and started some active nest work; in the process she (nearly?) stepped on the small one; in the meanwhile kids tried to get some shade from Ivo etc...

Summi

Post by Summi »

Sunshine, thank you :wave:
The worst stepping was when Irma backed up and I got really scared as the kid did not move for a while. :slap:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Birdfriend wrote: June 13th, 2018, 7:01 pm ......I think the pecking (bonking) is normal between the siblings until to a certain point. This is not a reason for a lower survival rate. But it gives nests with an very high potential of aggression most against the youngest and in special cases it can end lethal.......
:hi:
Last year, the youngest chick of the Tina - Teo couple was pecked to the point that it became submissive and pathetic. Young WTE has completed the torment of the youngest....For him, Junior was an easy mark. It was painful to see!
:cry:

:wave:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”