Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2018 nest 2

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Lubaska

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis 2018 nest 2

Post by Lubaska »

June 12th

06:33 Mom has delivered a long live garfish, Bose started to eat but Knips was in better position, so he/she ate a lot of fish (most of this big fish!). Bose punished him/her with bad pecking after few minutes. :mrgreen:

06:36 And exactly when Knips was punishing and his neck was biting by Bose s beak, Osis came with another garfish. Great! Dad has left the nest.

Mom left at 06:45 without starting to feed 2nd fish and in that moment heavy rain started.

Babies were surprised. Not many rainy days in this nest...

Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

07:57 3rd garfish delivered! :loveshower:

Eaglets are fed nicely, side by side, one morsel for me, one morsel for you... without pecking and threatening. They are slow in reactions... I guess they are already full. :mrgreen:

At 08:08 Mom pulled another big long garfish from background and started to tear it. Knips got some morsels. Fish looks like a black branch and is so firm, so dry so hard that Mom gave up to feed babies with it. That fish had to be brought yesterday or even earlier.

Full eaglets

Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

09:56 Another garfish. Feeding, chirping... Fish fed. Mom looks like a prehistoric monster. Very wet. Rain continues.

10:00 heavy raining again
balistar

Post by balistar »

Thanks, Lubaska, for the reports and beautiful sharp pictures.
Mom will need a hairdresser after that rain :mrgreen:

Very nice to see that there is a plenty of fish brought in and the eaglets are stuffed. No need for Bose to peck Knips today :rolleyes: :laugh:
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Yes, I agree balistar and I thank Lubanska for great pics!
So wonderful life here now. The kids do grow fast.
I think that it was very good to get rain in a long time
because of dust and dirty, and particularly this family needed
a good shower, didn't they. :D
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

June 15th

Two big birds in the nest :mrgreen:

Not so easy to tell who is who anymore...

Waiting for morning fish

Bose is only one day younger than the Girl from Estonian nest. So we can see here how many hours Bose spends sitting or lying on the floor. It is still very important for eaglets in this age. Bose is also preening a lot and we can see a lot of wing flapping and small jumps.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Yes, unlike the Estonian eaglet, these two have a luxury villa, a castle with castleparc for princes and princesses :nod:
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Maybe many of us have looked here every now and then just to find the very same peaceful situation, which is wonderful. It goes well here. :whistling:
I've not seen any feedings but they do have eaten. They do not stand much either (or?).
Every time when I come I see them laying and particularly Knips says something for a while. Knips is talkative and ofcourse wants food too :D .
Lubanska, thanks, you said Boss is only one day younger than The Eaglet in the Estonian nest, hmm. How a different life they spend!
- So no happenings here now while writing this :razz: .
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Sleepy guys here again :sleeping: .
Today pretty windy and therefore some noise.
Knips shouting nicely for a while :razz:
According to chat I cannot find anything about food today.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Juni 18

17:30 still alive cygnet for an eaglet

Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

But, not so well here now :shock: .
The parents have been away all day long. Boss and Knips only lie and sleep. They don't even say anything. Are they too weak already, because today food only once and then Boss ate that and Knips got nothing?
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

What is happening here :shock: ? Where are parents?
Somebody said in chat that Knips now has been over 40 hours without food.
:slap:
balistar

Post by balistar »

June 19

11:10 still no food since the poor swan chick from yesterday.
Knips did not eat since ~ 40 hours now.

11:34 eaglets are chewing on an old dried-up wing, first Knips, now Bosse

11:20 they are looking for the parents, are they coming soon?
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

:wave: balistar. Yes, it looks odd here. What can happen for parents at same time?
Now Knips have been without food much more than 40 hours. If we compare, how long Vilnis was without food? This Knips is bigger now so might stand it longer. - I find it good that they shout now.

Edit 15.35: I come to put here that Feja writes in chat
that "Knips got food last on 17.6. at 17.40 o'clock".
:shock: It was on Sunday afternoon!
balistar

Post by balistar »

Hi Sylvika,
nice, that you show up here again in this nest. Not very much people are interested in this nest :( I'm glad about the chat, we can talk and ask and mostly get an answer.

Yes, I'm also wondering about that both parents don't come to the nest. None knows the matter. There is no military action in that area. And although viewers have heard dogs on weekend, parent have brought food, so that can't be the reason.

Maris from Latvian forum told in chat that in this stage they can hold on for about a week without food. So at 17:40 for Knips it will be 2 days now without food.

Knips did already eat an old dry bone, he needed a few attempts, but then swallowed it, the whole big bone. Poor thing. And Bosse is upset and blaimes Knips for not getting food. :bow:

Bosse is still strong enough and has the engergy to make some WE (wing exercises) also with little jumps.

14:18 Bosse WE

14:40 this sight hurts me already a bit, to see how Knips is sitting there (ok ok human view)

I wish so much (and all the chatters do) that this is only a short crisis and parents come back soon with an amount of fish. :help:

16:02 Knips is standing at a food delivery point, shouting and calling desperately. His voice is almost over. I would rather he would save energy. Parents do not even seem to be around.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

balistar :rotf: said: "And Bosse is upset and blaimes Knips for not getting food."
Do I remember right that during first weeks when small Knips only layed, was starving and beaten by Boss, we heard that he not even was able to cry anymore. We then thought he will pass away. But no, then situations got better and much joy here already - unless now???
How about, could the parents have an other nest somewhere and they forget this?

- When I now watch the nest the situation there is exactly the same. No news. :sad:
Why are the kids so peaceful.
Bawet

Post by Bawet »

Sylvika wrote: June 19th, 2018, 5:55 pm balistar :rotf: said: "And Bosse is upset and blaimes Knips for not getting food."
Do I remember right that during first weeks when small Knips only layed, was starving and beaten by Boss, we heard that he not even was able to cry anymore. We then thought he will pass away. But no, then situations got better and much joy here already - unless now???
How about, could the parents have an other nest somewhere and they forget this?

- When I now watch the nest the situation there is exactly the same. No news. :sad:
Why are the kids so peaceful.
:hi: Sylvika and all,

I don't think the parents have left the little ones, they have no food for them, so they stay away.

It's just one possible explanation for the lack of food, parents just can't fish in the sea.
When I look at the wind map, the wind is still blowing strongly inland and will surely stir up/flash the sea near the coast.
https://www.windy.com/?gust,56.692,28.828,5

When they catch a fish, they take care of themselves first, because weakened parents do not help the chicks either.

in a Scottish osprey nest there was also 3.4 days no or very little food because of strong wind. The male there is an excellent fisherman and great provider, but he couldn't catch anything either. Fortunately the situation there is relaxed again and he brings thick fish into the nest again.

Let us hope, then, that this is the only thing we can do.
Bawet

Post by Bawet »

9.10 food comes, allegedly a seagull

9.11 a parent sits on the right side of a branch and looks into the nest.

Bawet

Post by Bawet »

10.07 Fish

10.08 it looks like they both got a few bites today.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Bawet, thanks for your reports & pics !
Yes, good to understand that way :thumbs: .
Now we see and hope this eagle family is slowly beginning to act as before and especially when the wind calms down. Ou yee, we know it beforehand that at first Boss eats :D ,
but then there is hope that also Knips will begin to get more than only morsels... Let's see.
:whistling:
- Right now Boss and Knips are - laying / sleeping.
Just at times some of them shouts, I suppose it's Knips and that's for reason!
Today afternoon Knips 3 days almost without food.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”