Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2018

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Solo

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2018

Post by Solo »

Eike wrote: June 28th, 2018, 4:20 pm ... 2nd question: Are those birds ringed or weight who are counted by the so-called "red list" (auf der roten Liste)?
:hi: Eike,
question answered by Hagnat

Black Stork (Ciconia Nigra) and the Red list http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/22697669/0
last assessment http://www.iucnredlist.org/pdflink.111747857

the situation in Estonia here (EN) http://vana.elurikkus.ut.ee/kirjeldus.p ... oduskaitse
Category of threat (2008) Endangered (EN)
on that site the are also much very nice BS photos :thumbs:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

I love this panorama :D

18:30:05
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

18:51 wing flapping

18:53 wing flapping and interesting behavior (heads up)

I do not know what they want to say when they lift their heads like this.
Freedom!
Eike

Post by Eike »

UteL. wrote: June 28th, 2018, 4:39 pm The Red List is led territorial. In D, the black stork 2018 is back on the Red List, as far as I know.
Estonia certainly has experts here who can answer that.
You speak German and French? Then the link may help:
https://www.protect-nature.org/infos-f% ... te-listen/
and:
Mr. Bauer, how is the Red List formed?
Hans-Günther Bauer: Field ornithologists and birdwatchers of all federal states count the birds in their regions and transmit the stocks and trend information to the umbrella organization of German avifaunists in Münster. The Red List Panel then determines from the prepared data the degree of endangerment of each species of bird.
Currently, the data query and collection for the next Red List begins again. The hazard classification for breeding birds is now being developed in a six-year cycle as part of the international reporting obligations for the EC Birds Directive. Although the last breed bird list was published in 2016, the next is planned for 2020. The Red List of Migratory Birds, which was first presented in 2014, will be available every twelve years in the future.

https://www.mpg.de/rote-liste-vogelschutz
Yes, I speak French and German, so thanks so much for your kind informations. :D
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

I am very happy if I could help them and thank them for their questions, because that's also how I learned :wave:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our jewelry have lain down differently :D

21:26:12

Good Night in the Karula Forest :wave:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

June 29

Good Morning :wave:

6:48:36

9:17:07
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Eike wrote: June 28th, 2018, 4:20 pm
It is right my life's purpose is to do every possible thing for sister earth and all who are living on it. Therefore I would be more calm if Urmas would inform the storks in advance before mesuring and weighting.
Incidentally, Urmas has already lovingly cared for the chicks, when they were not even alive :nod:
He has provided a new nest for her parents, Karl and Kati, this season because the old one had fallen apart.
Maybe the animals feel that?

have a nice day :wave:

edit: I've read from a bird expert, he had more and more gained the impression that the chicks know him already when he came ringing her.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

09:46 Number 3 has its foot under number 2 and tries to get the foot free. :D

Freedom!
Summi

Post by Summi »

Swenja, what an extraordinary situation you have caught! Unbelievably hard work to get her leg free from under the sibling! :headroll:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Swenja wrote: June 29th, 2018, 9:55 am 09:46 Number 3 has its foot under number 2 and tries to get the foot free. :D
I saw it and hoped that you were there, Swenja :D

Thanks, it is delicious

Oh, hi Summi :wave:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

:wave: @Summi and @UteL.
I found it interesting that the trapped chick solved the problem with preening the other chick. He moved away. And again, that was high with the head there. 8-)
Freedom!
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Swenja wrote: June 29th, 2018, 10:46 am And again, that was high with the head there. 8-)
This time maybe: "Thanks, that was good" :D Oh no, that was before cleaning .... Did he have fun with the little one? The eldest has pricked on the back No. 2, could be prompted to get up ...

.........................................................................................................................

Today is Friday. because there are fish for brunch, and frogs for dessert :unsure:
Solo

Post by Solo »

UteL. wrote: June 29th, 2018, 9:11 am ... edit: I've read from a bird expert, he had more and more gained the impression that the chicks know him already when he came ringing her.
:hi: UteL., pls the source? it is very interesting
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone. :hi:

Thanks for the morning reports.
Swenja, that video is funny and interesting. :D
UteL. wrote: June 29th, 2018, 9:11 am edit: I've read from a bird expert, he had more and more gained the impression that the chicks know him already when he came ringing her.
Yes, Ute, can you please put the source here, if you can find it. I really would like to read it too.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Solo wrote: June 29th, 2018, 11:03 am :hi: UteL., pls the source? it is very interesting
Solo, I did not come up with that. How should I know after so many years of observing many nests? Should I find it, I will announce it to you.
Solo

Post by Solo »

UteL. wrote: June 29th, 2018, 11:13 amSolo, I did not come up with that. How should I know after so many years of observing many nests? Should I find it, I will announce it to you.
thank you :-)
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 11:12 am
Yes, Ute, can you please put the source here, if you can find it. I really would like to read it too.
Of course, it comes to my To Do list ... edit: Now I think of something else, in this context. It was also to be read that the animals memorize faces and pass on this experience. That impressed me very much.

Karl and the fish? :D

11:32:00
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Anne, "Urmas" from your book did not "speak" of it!? Then I can exclude this source...

https://www.leetchi.com/c/support-these-wonderful-birds
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Kati with dessert :D

Frogs :laugh:

12:01:27
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Solo wrote: June 28th, 2018, 11:06 am ... for me it is very interesting question, why there are nest (also WS), where within the 2 first hatched chicks and the third, firth (or 3 + 4., 5.) are all time size difference (also bigger, big) and another nest where there aren't or only very, very little (situation when with enough food delivery isn't problem)
Hi, Solo

Here is a very interesting article on the effects of the laying order and asynchronous hatching. The amount of nutrients received by the embryo inside the egg, will depend on the order in which the egg was laid.
Personally, I believe that the healthier (well fed) a female bird is, the more nutrients she is able to give to a larger amount of eggs. Which affects the strength and growth of the hatchlings.
https://goldengateaudubon.org/blog-post ... trategies/

... The female deposits differing amounts of hormones, immunoglobulins, and antioxidants in the yolk, albumen, and shells of the eggs she lays, which then affects the survival of each hatchling. For instance, in some species, yolk antioxidant and immunoglobulin concentrations may decrease across laying order, thus handicapping the immune system of the last-hatched chicks. However, in the same species, yolk testosterone concentrations may increase with laying order, which may compensate for poorer immune function by helping accelerate growth and food begging rates. ...

"... There is a higher rate of mortality with this hatching strategy (asynchronous hatching), and the last chick is usually not expected to survive and is more of an insurance policy against the loss of the first offspring. ... In some bird species, the firstborn, stronger chicks or even the parents may push the weaker, last born chick(s) out of the nest."
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”