Estonian white-tailed sea eagle nest camera 2018

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Anne7

Re: Estonian white-tailed sea eagle nest camera 2018

Post by Anne7 »

Congratulations, Sulvi!
What an eaglet! :loveshower:
I was happy that she was out of the danger zone now, that, if she would slip from a branch, she would be old enough to fly...

But this amazing and courageous girl decided to fledge in a beautiful way!
:thumbs:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Timea

Post by Timea »

Liz01 wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:44 pm I did a zoom video. You can see where she "trudles" down

Thanks Liz :thumbs:
Timea

Post by Timea »

Anne7 wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm Congratulations, Sulvi!
What an eaglet! :loveshower:
I was happy that she was out of the danger zone now, that, if she would slip from a branch, she would be old enough to fly...

But this amazing and courageous girl decided to fledge in a beautiful way!
:thumbs:
Hi Anne, she did great, didn't she!
ame

Post by ame »

Biker wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:28 pm What a surprise!
already flown out?!
a bit early, :book: at least 80 days were promised :puzzled: :wink:
a bit early, yes. the average is 11 weeks - 80 days. that's an average, not a 'promise'.
Sulvi is now 74 days old which is a little less than 11 weeks. i don't know how accurately the average is known.
edit: one of my books (W. Fischer: Die Seeadler, p. 68) says:
" Die Nestlingzeit liegt zwischen 70 un 90 Tagen.", that is 'the nestling time is 70 - 90 days.'

i have written about this question often before. you will find these posts using the search keyword searchfledging.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Liz01 wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:44 pm I did a zoom video. You can see where she "trudles" down
Thank you Liz :thumbs:

The same thing in a form of three pictures.

This is an old picture from June 14, when the lens was still clear.

This is from the moment, when we see the last glimpse of Sulvi’s tail. (those obscure white dots near the head of the arrow)

Here the landing point (or actually the vanishing point) is marked to the old, but clear picture, showing us better the trees there.
lispet

Post by lispet »

Good job! I hope Sulvi rests this night somewhere on a very flat and big and even surface where she can lay down and really streeetch her legs and wings! :thumbs:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Liz01 :hi: Thanks a lot for ALL your videos! I just ran into an old one (2018/04/28 8:08am), where a living duck escapes from the nest. It's fantastic! :slap: I hadn't seen it before, because I started following the nest later. Apparently there's yet a lot to be discovered :D
Summi

Post by Summi »

I hope the parents know by now where she is.
Andber61

Post by Andber61 »

If our herogirl have problem at the ground.. Maybee some Estlander can help her up a bit.. hope so.. but she can be in a tree and take care.. hopefully she is back in the neste soon <3
RNS

Post by RNS »

Andber61 wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:14 pm If our herogirl have problem at the ground.. Maybee some Estlander can help her up a bit.. hope so.. but she can be in a tree and take care.. hopefully she is back in the neste soon <3
She would be fine on the ground, too, a big bird. Which animal could threaten her? :) She is supposed to be out of the nest now, of course visiting regularly, is she prefers the old branches to new ones.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

rebelde wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:02 pm ....Thanks a lot for ALL your videos! I just ran into an old one (2018/04/28 8:08am), where a living duck escapes from the nest. It's fantastic! :slap: I hadn't seen it before, because I started following the nest later. Apparently there's yet a lot to be discovered :D
rebelde :hi: you're welcome :laugh:
That was a short pleasure for the poor duck. Sulvi brought her back- dead! :slap:
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

RNS wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm She would be fine on the ground, too, a big bird. Which animal could threaten it?
A eagle young like that have threats on the ground by foxes and other bigger predators, but i hope you are right thou :unsure:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Summi wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:10 pm I hope the parents know by now where she is.
Oh, don't worry! The parents surely know where she is by now!
They see and hear extremely well.
And they will feed her and train her flying and hunting skills for many more weeks.
Till autumn, at least.

I'm not convinced at all that Sulvi will return to the remains of the nest.
Why would she? There's no real nest anymore, only a couple of branches.
(With a bit of luck we will maybe see a visit, once or twice, not much more, I believe.) There are plenty of branches to sleep on. She can eat anywhere. There's so much to discover. She's a free bird now!

Good luck, dear Sulvi!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Antje

Post by Antje »

Dear Liz! Thank you so much for your videos! I have a question: Would it be possible to make a somewhat longer video with the minutes before the flight? Maybe three to four minutes long? I would like to post this in my community which I have on Google+. If it's not possible don't worry, just wanted to ask :chick:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Konrad wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:56 pm Thank you Liz :thumbs:

The same thing in a form of three pictures.

This is an old picture from June 14, when the lens was still clear.
https://up.picr.de/33168103wh.jpg
This is from the moment, when we see the last glimpse of Sulvi’s tail. (those obscure white dots near the head of the arrow)
https://up.picr.de/33168104rd.jpg

Here the landing point (or actually the vanishing point) is marked to the old, but clear picture, showing us better the trees there.
https://up.picr.de/33168105ck.jpg
Konrad :hi: Thanks for the pictures for comparison! That's great. I think there are enough good trees for her :2thumbsup:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

RNS wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:17 pm She would be fine on the ground, too, a big bird. Which animal could threaten it?
It is always good to be optimistic, but I am afraid Sulvi is not yet very good in defending herself. After all, she is still a 74 day old baby. :D

The worst thing on the ground is, that the terrain can be very difficult for a big bird. If there happens to grow for example lots of willows, two-meter tall young trees of other species and tall grass plants, it is obviously not easy to get into air from there. But let’s hope Sulvi ended to some tree branch. :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Timea wrote: July 6th, 2018, 7:47 pm Thanks Liz :thumbs:
Timea, you're welcome :D
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Liz01 wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:21 pm rebelde :hi: you're welcome :laugh:
That was a short pleasure for the poor duck. Sulvi brought her back- dead! :slap:
I know - I watched it till the end! It was a rare moment in which we could see these predators in action. Both Suvi and Sulev plunged after the duck lightning fast. :shock: ...and for those interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIGaDwJ3T0
:wave:

(Sorry for the off topic post)
Timea

Post by Timea »

Rebelde, I found some cute ones for you. Maybe you have not seen them before.

12 mei 2018
Sulvi had the remarkable habit of standing on her head each time she had to use the bathroom.

RNS

Post by RNS »

Konrad wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:26 pm It is always good to be optimistic, but I am afraid Sulvi is not yet very good in defending herself. After all, she is still a 74 day old baby. :D

The worst thing on the ground is, that the terrain can be very difficult for a big bird. If there happens to grow for example lots of willows, two-meter tall young trees of other species and tall grass plants, it is obviously not easy to get into air from there. But let’s hope Sulvi ended to some tree branch. :thumbs:
Sulvi is big in comparison to foxes, for instance. They would not dare to approach I think. All that hissing and jumping. We actually had a similar discussion two years ago when the three eaglets fell one by one. Then some experts said they would be fine predator-wise. And at the moment we assume she can climb and maybe even fly if the terrain is not too difficult.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”