Good night all :wave:
I was about to post the same photo:)
Beautiful estonian summer evening
Timea :wave: and good night all :offtobed:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

July 14
Good morning! :hi:

The morning has been quiet since about 4:30, when I started to listen the nest area. No eagle calls at all.

Closest to eagles have been those ridiculous pigeons, who try to cheat everyone to believe they are eagle-owls. :laugh: I am pretty sure the pigeon searches some dry and hollow tree with a hole in it, puts its beak into the hole and shouts "uhu-u-uhuu, uhu-u-uhuu" and roll on the branch laughing. :rotf:

Despite being quite silent, the morning is again very beautiful. This picture is from about 5:20

5:43 Just after having written that nothing has been heard, Sulvi started to squel like seeing food or even getting it?
Quite near, but not in the nest tree. She went silent quite soon. Hopefully she is eating?
5:48 and 5:50 Sulvi called again in an insisting style. So, she probably did not get food earlier or dropped it.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Sylvika wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:16 am But, Konrad, where are the aeroplanes from this morning :shake: ...
How about the tits. Well, I'm just thinking, not demanding :laugh: .
Perfect. This page is sooo nice - still.
Hi Sylvika :wave:

Sorry for the late answer. There was really little air traffic on Thursday morning. Not many airplanes, not many birds.
I did not see any tits, so I made a Google search using the word "tit" to get you some pictures, but I must have written the word incorrectly... :blush:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Sulvi has been calling regularly about every 2 minutes since 5:48, so she very obviously could not eat anything before that.

Her voice can be heard from some quite close a place, because there is almost no echo, when her voice is at strongest. In other words, when she calls towards the microphone, there is free or almost free air between her beak and the mic.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Good morning Konrad :wave:

I've been listening too, and I can confirm your observations. There was one more interesting thing. At about 5.58-5.59 I heard rustle in the pine tree located right next to the nest tree, then there was strong movement in the twigs (circled in the screenshot), which can only be created by a large bird when it takes off. After that Sulvi's voice has been more distant. I'm quite sure that Sulvi was there, so close to the nest, and then left to where she is now calling (6.00-). A video would show the movement, but unfortunately Sulvi herself wasn't seen. Yet. 8-)

The screenshot was taken shortly after the incident to show the area where Sulvi quite possibly had been calling parents for some time before leaving.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Good morning rebelde! :wave:

Funny coincidence, but I also happened to notice those twigs moving. Did not see any bird either. :thumbs:

Sulvi's voice was more silent and more far away for some time, especially at 6:42, but now the voice comes again from some place closer.

Our problem is that one mentioned many times: when Sulvi's beak is towards the microphone, she sounds to be much closer to the nest tree. :puzzled:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

It has been very quiet since about 7:00. Sulvi is having a nap, or she has moved somewhere clearly more far way?
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Konrad wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:00 am Funny coincidence, but I also happened to notice those twigs moving, but did not see any bird either. :thumbs:

Sulvi's voice was more silent and more far away for some time, especially at 6:42, but now the voice comes again from some place closer.
Did you hear the rustle before the twigs started moving? I think Sulvi is going around in the more shadowy part of the woods and is well camouflaged even when she's close enough to be seen. She hasn't come out in the open yet. Anyway it's quite obvious that she flies from one place to another. :innocent:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

rebelde wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:23 am Did you hear the rustle before the twigs started moving? I think Sulvi is going around in the more shadowy part of the woods and is well camouflaged even when she's close enough to be seen. She hasn't come out in the open yet. Anyway it's quite obvious that she flies from one place to another. :innocent:
Yep, I heard. I thought it might be a squirrel again at the microphone, but I saw nothing else than the branch moving quickly.
It is quite possible, that Sulvi flies from tree to tree at lower levels. :unsure: The nest grid is quite high and strong flying is needed to get up there...
Now I have to go to do also something else for a while than listening to forest voices. :D Have a nice day! :thumbs:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Konrad wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:31 am Yep, I heard. I thought it might be a squirrel again at the microphone, but I saw nothing else than the branch moving quickly.
It is quite possible, that Sulvi flies from tree to tree at lower levels. :unsure: The nest grid is quite high and strong flying is needed to get up there...
No, not so close. The rustle came from the same place where the movement was, maybe from Sulvi getting ready to take off. (I'm insisting on it. :rotf:) Of course she's flying around unless she has some injury, which I don't think is the case. There's no other way to go! Have a good day :D
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

rebelde wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:42 am No, not so close. The rustle came from the same place where the movement was, maybe from Sulvi getting ready to take off. (I'm insisting on it. :rotf:) Of course she's flying around unless she has some injury, which I don't think is the case. There's no other way to go! Have a good day :D
OK, OK. :laugh:

I had one more thing to say. If you or other readers want to see also birds and not just an empty nest every now and then, I recommend the osprey nest (Kalakotkas2), which you can find in this forum in the thread "Osprey Webcam Forum". There are three lively osprets, a male, who carries food to them with admirable eager and a female, who feeds all the osprets and "polishes" the nest. :thumbs:
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

Good morning everyone!

Thank you Konrad and Rebelde for an informative dialogue in the early hours.
I rewinded the video at 5.58 and i believe too that Sulvi was the one flying from one tree to another. First we see twigs from lower branches of the nest tree (i think) move and seconds later a heavy movement on the branches (big fat bird landing :mrgreen: ) on the tree aside. Invisible Sulvi flying and shuffling around - thats good enough to make me happy :loveshower:
RNS

Post by RNS »

Konrad wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:59 am I had one more thing to say. If you or other readers want to see also birds and not just an empty nest every now and then, I recommend the osprey nest (Kalakotkas2), which you can find in this forum in the thread "Osprey Webcam Forum". There are three lively osprets, a male, who carries food to them with admirable eager and a female, who feeds all the osprets and "polishes" the nest. :thumbs:
Oh I feel dizzy! I'm not sure I can watch this cam - I can't breathe! How do they stay there when there is storm? Yes, I know, of course they do. But what a location!
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

Sulvi, is that you? :shock:

sova

Post by sova »

Hello everyone :hi:

13: 51/52
Sulvi calls briefly

13:53
again
Sosna

Post by Sosna »

Please, let me know Durbe.O'14.17 A young eagle screams under a tree. I can not log in to the Durbe Forum
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

14.33 Sulvi is calling, very distant voice maybe due to the strong wind today
14.36 and 14.48 she calls again
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Crissy wrote: July 14th, 2018, 8:33 am First we see twigs from lower branches of the nest tree (i think) move and seconds later a heavy movement on the branches (big fat bird landing :mrgreen: ) on the tree aside.
Crissy :hi: Have you seen Konrad's earlier link to a picture of the nest tree (taken in the winter)? It shows that there are no such extensive branches in it at all, so the morning action must have happened in the pine tree in front of the nest tree. :nod:
I also saw something - a flash - in the left corner right after the twig movements in the circled area of my screenshot, and I wonder whether it was just Sulvi flying away or landing to another blind spot. Landing should make a bigger sound, especially with someone quite inexperienced in landing :puzzled: My thought is that she flew further away, and I believe that's what she's been doing for days without coming out in the open; flying below the top branches. The nest tree is very tall (20-21m), and so are the spruces in the background. I remember that the chicks from the 2016 nest were seen flying in the lower level during the first weeks after fledging, with the exception of Nord, maybe, who was an accomplished flier since the beginning. Sulvi also didn't fall from the the nest but was ready to go, and that was already 8 days ago!! When the fallen boy Rahu was seen flying after Anna (his mom, with fish), it was only three days after his scary fall. So yes, Sulvi should be quite competent in flying by now, even though she doesn't make us all happy and proud by showing up and showing off :rotf:
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

rebelde wrote: July 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm Crissy :hi: Have you seen Konrad's earlier link to a picture of the nest tree (taken in the winter)?...
Hi rebelde :hi: Thanks for the feedback, you are right, i actually dont know how the nest tree looks like ( i'll look up Konrad's link later since im on mobile at the moment) so i was making one version of what was happening in the lower area :rolleyes: i have been wondering too why Sulvi has not come to the nest after a week since she fledged, maybe its not the fact that she isnt capable but simply she doesnt concider that place a "home" and now every branch and tree is equal in that sense :) but how can she be that selfish and not think about us, who are patiently waiting for her to show up :mrgreen: ( a joke)

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”