Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Swenja

Re: Following Karl's Family

Post by Swenja »

@kuhankeittäjä
I do not think there is a Biotopic clarifiers. The river system probably has simple weirs and here you can see that there is reeds on the shore. It is a wetland.

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Korytn ... d27.374957
Freedom!
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

August 25

Good Morning :wave:

no new data

Summary

Karula 1031km 23.8.
Karl... 1331km 24.8.
Maru.. 1157km 24.8.
Päike. 0513km 24.8.
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Thanks Anne7 for the image! :hi:

Your annotation presents around exactly what I thought to be the case.

What makes me thinking further is, whether the engineers pump this pre-cleaned water to some other pool or let it mix with the river water close to the junction of the creek. There seems to be a tube line starting from eventual open water pool behind a soil dam. Downstream the river there exist quite some roundish and fully vegetated pools close to it. These might be good feeding sites for a BS, although Karula has not gone there. Evidently there's something more interesting in the active pool, maybe it includes those adapted animals that you mentioned. :unsure:

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/2018/autu ... =0&speed=1
Pools at the river valley bottom, south of the waterway. Karula has not been interested.
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Swenja wrote: August 24th, 2018, 9:54 pm @kuhankeittäjä
I do not think there is a Biotopic clarifiers. The river system probably has simple weirs and here you can see that there is reeds on the shore. It is a wetland.
@Swenja

Maybe then the tube line starting from this favorite pool of Karula is intended for leading water to the fields or somewhere else. I could not determine where it ends. Perhaps, local farmers take water to tanks there. Anyhow, Karula returned to the pool several times. To me this place is of different nature as compared with the previous pool which it visited earlier before and after staying overnight in the bush fence of a farm house nearby. Of course one cannot say anything for sure, just opinions. :unsure:
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Treia wrote: August 24th, 2018, 12:14 pm :hi: kuhankeittäjä,

Really fine ... Karula has found a very good hiding place there :headroll:
Sure @Treia!

However I wonder whether we truly see the last coordinates of each day. It seems plausible that only a fraction of the coordinate points is presented on the bird map. This would save resources and protect the birds against some human dangers. We have no definite information of the gender of a couple other ringed BS either, although they were studied in earlier years, already. This may be due to protection of animals as well.

Why I started to think this way? In the image which you referred to, the migrating map bird symbol was originally placed to the edge of a field road lane, not to a tree. So. the last coordinates visible to us were not on site of a tree but on the ground, used for farm traffic. The bird seems only to have stayed in this treetop, because the background image has been taken from an oblique angle, not in vertical direction. Please, compare the Migration Map image to the Google Map image (snapshot), which was rotated to see the landscape from the direction of camera. Perhaps, Karula flew somewhere else to the tree fence next to the road. Or, maybe, the co-ordinates are not so exact. :whistling:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

new Data :nod:

Karl 1349km (+18) 24.8. ; still in the same area in Romania

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: August 25th, 2018, 7:56 am Sure @Treia!

However I wonder whether we truly see the last coordinates of each day. It seems plausible that only a fraction of the coordinate points is presented on the bird map.............
We do not see where they are. What we see is the point at which the data is being sent. This is not the bird! This has nothing to do with bird protection.It has to do with where a recipient of the data is. This receiver sends the signal and I think we see the transmitter point in the map, not the bird
I understood it like that :puzzled:

the explanation can be found here in the LK. I will search, maybe I'll find her again :rolleyes:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: August 25th, 2018, 7:29 am @Swenja

Maybe then the tube line starting from this favorite pool of Karula is intended for leading water to the fields or somewhere else. I could not determine where it ends. Perhaps, local farmers take water to tanks there. Anyhow, Karula returned to the pool several times. To me this place is of different nature as compared with the previous pool which it visited earlier before and after staying overnight in the bush fence of a farm house nearby. Of course one cannot say anything for sure, just opinions. :unsure:
It is a pity that where Karula is currently, no user lives from the forum. Then we would know exactly what area it is.
We do not know if Karula is alone or with a group of experienced storks who show him where to feed. We only know that Karula was in this area between August 22nd and 23th because we get a lot of GPS data from this place. We have no new data.
Freedom!
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Swenja wrote: August 25th, 2018, 10:05 am It is a pity that where Karula is currently, no user lives from the forum. Then we would know exactly what area it is.
We do not know if Karula is alone or with a group of experienced storks who show him where to feed. We only know that Karula was in this area between August 22nd and 23th because we get a lot of GPS data from this place. We have no new data.
Thanks @Swenja :bow:

This has evidently been described earlier. Sorry to bother. However:

I understand that Karula's back pack contains a programmable GPS receiver with some memory and an active GSM transmitter, in addition to eventual weather and health sensors plus a data logger facility. And that in the Bird Map is presented the last GPS coordinate point transmitted via GSM, having received in Estonia. Unfortunately no further transmissions. Or do you call daily asking the back pack to send "home" the latest data set in the memory, and have had no answer for a couple of days?

Now, I am slightly worried due to the last known coordinates on a field road near an adequate overnighting tree. Karula's route seems to locate slightly more to the east than for the others. Eedi on the same route turned back to another state. Let's hope the best. :thumbs:

Update:

An article on using the GPS/GSM system for white storks.
https://www.mpg.de/12041435/storks-group-behaviour

The system records GPS coordinates and acceleration once a second for short periods, repeating the measurement series four times an hour. GSM device sends all these data daily as a text message. The scientists have a lot of data to analyse.

The BS system is most likely similar. Hence, let's hope that Karula's transmitter can log in a GSM network tower this evening, better than yesterday, when it may have been out of reach.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Compared to Karula's route. Eedi, Karl and Raivo.
Karula is on the right route. Could be, that he/she has been outside the GSM coverage at the time of the data transfer.

The yellow circle is the approximate location of Karula.
Eedi

Karl

Raivo
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Swenja wrote: August 25th, 2018, 10:05 am It is a pity that where Karula is currently, no user lives from the forum. Then we would know exactly what area it is.
:thumbs: I am looking forward to his new data, when they are finally registered on the Birdmap, but do not rush .... :wave:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

new data
Karula 1119 km

Karula had flown south to Redvyntsi across the Buzhok River and back.

Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone! :wave:
Swenja wrote: August 25th, 2018, 1:49 pm new data
Karula 1119 km
Karula had flown south to Redvyntsi across the Buzhok River and back.
Thanks, Swenja! :thumbs:
Great to have new data from Karula!
Karula
Distance: 1119 km (+ 88 km in 2 days)
Last data: 25.08.2018

About Karula's area:
He/she is in the Starokostiantyniv district.

The Starokostiantyniv district is part of the Khmelnytskyi Oblast.
"The Khmelnytskyi Oblast is located in western Ukraine, with its administrative centre, the city of Khmelnytskyi, lying on the banks of the Southern Buh River, around 340 kilometres from Ukraine's capital city, Kiev. It is a beautiful part of the country with at least 120 rivers and tributaries running through it, and an estimated 1,858 ponds, lakes and reservoirs scattered over the landscape.
As a well-watered region, Khmelnytskyi Oblast is covered in lush vegetation and forests, providing habitats for a variety of birds and animals. ..."

http://www.ukraine.com/khmelnytskyi-oblast/

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

I found some pics (preview stock photos) of landscapes in the Starokostiantyniv district.
In my opinion, it isn't a bad region for BS.

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Anne7 wrote: August 25th, 2018, 2:17 pm I found some pics (preview stock photos) of the landscapes in the Starokostiantyniv district.
In my opinion, it isn't a bad region for BS.
:laugh:
There is a lot of fish and tasty frogs there! If Päike knew that ... he'd head straight for Karula. :laugh:

:thumbs:
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: August 25th, 2018, 2:25 pm :laugh:
There is a lot of fish and tasty frogs there! If Päike knew that ... he'd head straight for Karula. :laugh:
:thumbs:
:laugh:

Here is another picture that gives us an idea of the surroundings, at about 6,5 km distance from Karula's favourite location. You can see that location on this map:

I really wonder which delicacy Karula finds at his/her favourite location. :mrgreen:
Or is it rather (easy to catch) fast food?
So far, he/she returned 9 times to exactly the same spot.
— Irene Pepperberg
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

@ Swenja
as you have written before:
Birds live in the air and storks come to sleep and to eat on the ground and of course on the nest in which to raise children.
"Our" storks explore the environment in which they are, also Karl and Eedi again and again.
panta rhei

Karula may have been lucky enough to catch a cloud 7 that immediately took him to the Ukraine :laugh:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Black storks also breed in Ukraine.

"Since the 1970s and 1980s, range widening and increase in number were observed (GRISHCHENKO et al., 1992; GRISHCHENKO, 1994a, 1996).
The present (written in 2003!) breeding population is estimated to be at least 400-500 pairs."
http://www.aves.be/fileadmin/Aves/Bulle ... -4_165.pdf

Phenology of the Black Stork (Ciconia nigra) migrations in Ukraine
"ABSTRACT - Data on Black Stork migration was collected from 1973 till 2000 for the spring passage and from 1964 till 2000 for the autumn migration. They were grouped based on administrative regions of the country. In spring, Black Storks arrive generally during the second half of March and the first half of April. In West Ukraine, the migration begins earlier. The course of migration is similar to that of White Stork. Periods of autumn migration are more extended and more variable. Normal autumn migration occurs in August and September. The last birds are observed from the end of August till October."
(aves, 40 (1-4) 2003 : 165 - 170)

And here is a paper (2017) by Strus Iu., Bokotey A., Dzubenko N.
DETECTION OF FOREST LOSS ON BLACK STORK (CICONIA NIGRA)
BREEDING SITES IN THE RIVNE REGION (POLISSIA) BY A GIS ANALYSIS
http://www.academia.edu/34909138/DETECT ... S_ANALYSIS
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

We have new data :2thumbsup:

Karl
Distance: 1360 km (+ 11 km)
Karl is still in the same area

Maru
Distance: 1160 km (+ 3 km)
Maru is still in the same area

— Irene Pepperberg
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Yes :thumbs:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”