Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2018

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2018

Post by ame »

the age system is a bit awkward and puzzling in the beginning. at least i have had difficulties in grasping it an i always have to use my fingers to calculate the ages and/or use examples of our old friends.

the "winter age" is practical in giving the ages outside breeding season, in winter time. Vilnis and Robis are 1st winter eagles (or will be when the winter comes). Durberta hatched in 2015 so she was 1st winter in winter 2016, 2nd winter in winter 2017 and 3rd winter in winter 2018. now she is turning to 4th winter eagle.

the calendar year age is one year more than the winter age. in this respect Vilnis and Robis are 1 year (or 1 Calendar Year, 1 CY) and Durberta is 4 CY. in this system all eagles have their 'birthday' on January 1st: they all turn one year older on the same day. in next January Vilnis and Robis will be 2 calendar years old, but they'll still be 1st winter birds. Durberta will be 5 calendar years old, respectively.
ame

Post by ame »

if the visitor this morning really was our old friend H362 / K096, Durberta's big brother, he is 5 CYs now. his tail was very white and eyes were fairly yellow (as far as one could see in the early morning's poor light).

5 CY is not a mature, adult age yet. i think he showed this by playing with the sticks: he made childish catching exercises with the sticks just like Vilnis and Robis did, jumping on the sticks and grabbing them with his claws. (i was worried that he would throw the sticks down as well, like our rascals did. :mrgreen: )

he also showed a lot of more adult-like behaviour. he arranged the sticks: took them in his beak and lifted them around the nest. he was 'playing home', i.e. making nest building exercises. this was something that the dating young eagles did in winters 2016 and 2017, when they were not too busy fighting with each other. i don't believe that this will happen again. Milda and Raimis will keep strangers away. (at least i hope so! fingers crossed and thumbs up! :2thumbsup: )
ame

Post by ame »

i made a slow-motion close-up clip of the eagle's rings. i think this was the clearest part of those muddy rings.
i don't believe that Janis will confirm our "identification" based on this evidence. :slap:
sova

Post by sova »

Ame .... thank you for all the work and very good explanation. :2thumbsup: Nevertheless, if I had to decide (in which year the eagle is), I would not be sure. :mrgreen:
The video is very blurry, I could not see anything correctly.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks Ame for all the work you have because of our precious Royal family :thumbs:

You named Milda's pattern - Moustache

I named Raimis's pattern - Tulip
Ramis has 1 nice Tulip in the middle, and 2 smaller on both sides of the central.

Robertino/na has 2 nice tulips. https://www.longfield-gardens.com/plant ... -Del-Piero

Later I'll look for Durbertina's patterns.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

This situation at 08.28.02 on October 1 could be with today's guest?
https://youtu.be/UUv-yoChct0
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Sonchik wrote: October 13th, 2018, 7:41 pm This situation at 08.28.02 on October 1 could be with today's guest?
https://youtu.be/UUv-yoChct0
:hi:

The one who came this morning has 2 visible rings. This one has naked feet.

Sonchik, please, when you write the time, we are putting 2 points: 08:28:02

Each time you write with one point, it looks like we write a date and not the time.

Don't worry we all learned on our first year here. Now, we understand better each other!
You made a big progress with your GT :thumbs:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Abigyl wrote: October 13th, 2018, 8:44 pm :hi:
Sonchik, please, when you write the time, we are putting 2 points: 08:28:02
Thanks for the hint. I did not know. When translating to me somewhere the colon is inserted and where commas. Now it is clear why. :mrgreen:

How did you make out legs at such distance? I will go in detail I will consider.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Sonchik wrote: October 13th, 2018, 8:53 pm Thanks for the hint. I did not know. When translating to me somewhere the colon is inserted and where commas. Now it is clear why. :mrgreen:

How did you make out legs at such distance? I will go in detail I will consider.
Which distance? Where?
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Abigyl wrote: October 13th, 2018, 10:47 pm Which distance? Where?
Here pictures from video are higher. Raymis drives away someone. This someone departed to the right and Raymis departed directly. I asked - there could be then same today's guest?
Image Image

Your answer about the eagle who is flying away to the right:
Abigyl wrote: October 13th, 2018, 8:44 pm This one has naked feet.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

During the months of preparations, building the nest, many visitors are coming.

Most of them are coming once and other can come a second time.

You can see on page 1, every year, the list of all the visits. You'll find it on the lower part of the page. This is an example of 2016:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... f=99&t=804

We are not making big stories on each visit, only if it's a bird we know with a ring.

:offtobed:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

October 14

Good Morning all :hi:

I hope there will be frost soon. :bow: I miss the sound of the forest, the voices of the animals.
Milda called two days ago! I would have liked to hear it :innocent:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Good morning!
23.9. Latvian K096 again, this time with very dirty feet.
7.10. Latvian K096 again, still with very dirty feet.
Liz01 wrote: October 13th, 2018, 9:15 am both rings are identically dirty :rotf:
It seems that it is its business card. :rotf:
Liz01 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 6:29 am I hope there will be frost soon. :bow: I miss the sound of the forest, the voices of the animals.
Milda called two days ago! I would have liked to hear it :innocent:
We so much interesting and important passed without sound.
In the summer when children left a nest, we could judge their life only on voices.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

:hi: Liz. I'm with you! I miss the sounds so much :whistling:

But as I wrote last night, the 2 tropical storms coming up to Europe at this time of the year, are not normal and preventing winter cold to come in.
I hear it's coming in to Portugal now after it left damage in Mallorca, something we never heard about before.
https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/10/10/in ... 91507.html

Looks like cold weather will come only next week. :slap:

It'll be nice to have a visit soon :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik, Abigyl :hi:

Abigyl, the climate change will bring us still bad surprises. Rain is needed! It's much to dry in Europe!
ame wrote: October 13th, 2018, 8:20 am ......... :hi: Liz, when you make more pictures please remember the time stamp, too.
I have to apologize :bow:
I know how important the timestamp is. But I was in a big hurry.

ame, please do not forget to register yesterday's visitor on the first page :bow:

8:10 all sticks look unchanged since yesterday.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

8:33 :loveshower:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!

i think that Sonchik made a valuable observation here:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 85#p618456
there were three birds, but i'm not sure that the bird in distance is an eagle, too. i'll have to see the video. - anyway, the third bird is too far to see if it had rings.
Liz01 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 7:25 am ... I have to apologize :bow:
I know how important the timestamp is. But I was in a big hurry.

ame, please do not forget to register yesterday's visitor on the first page :bow:
no big deal, Liz. it was around 7:37:30 ->, wasn't it? that was the best time i think.

i'm not sure if Janis will approve of this bird as an identified bird. the pictures were so poor. i haven't even mailed him about it. should i? i am so uncertain about it myself... :dunno:
maybe the DDF people (MĀRIS?) have informed Janis...

it is a beautiful day. :innocent:
today i shall go mushroom hunting. we are going to have an exceptionally warm day here today. i'll try to make pictures of the rings later.
:wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: October 14th, 2018, 9:02 am ........... it was around 7:37:30 ->, wasn't it? that was the best time i think.
The best best visibility of the rings. Maybe you will get better pictures than me. :laugh:
7:37:37 (H362)
7:37:41 (H362)
7:41:23 (K096)

ame ,
you go collecting mushrooms, good luck! Here it was to dry for mushrooms! Maris went fishing today in the early morning (like an eagle). :mrgreen:
And I'll go watch cranes, kestrels, buzzards and kites :laugh: We will have again 26 degree.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: October 14th, 2018, 9:02 am i think that Sonchik made a valuable observation here:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 85#p618456
there were three birds, but i'm not sure that the bird in distance is an eagle, too. i'll have to see the video. - anyway, the third bird is too far to see if it had rings.
I wrote about it here:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 74#p616874
This situation at the end of the first video and at the beginning of the second. It is possible to look as eagles watched someone before a pursuit.
Probably I unclear write. Ask again please when unclear. I will find other words.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame :loveshower:

Collecting mushrooms? my favorite "playground" when I was a small child. Later we mooved to an urbanic area and I miss it so much :cry: Bring me one in your basket! I'll bring you luck and you'll find the best :D

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”