Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
sova

Re: Following Karl's Family

Post by sova »

Good morning to all :hi:

Karl
sova

Post by sova »

Time changed. Since Maru has flown almost nothing, I have chosen afternoon time.

Maru
(13.10.) Ukraine (Weather data - 13:00)
temp; 18 °
Precipitation; 0 mm
Humidity; 50%
Wind; 100 m - SE (25 km / h)
Wind; 250 m - SE (25 km / h)
Wind; 500 m - SE (23 km / h)

17:00
100 m - SE (25 km / h)
250 m - SE (29 km / h)
500 m - SE (37 km / h)
sova

Post by sova »

Karula (13.10.) Turkey (Weather data - 11:00)
temp; 24 °
Precipitation; 2 mm
Humidity; 40%
Wind; 100 m - SE (16 km / h)
Wind; 250 m - SE (17 km / h)
Wind; 500 m - E (14 km / h)

15:00
100 m - SE (10 km / h)
250 m - SE (09 km / h)
500 m - SE (13 km / h)
sova

Post by sova »

Päike - no new data
Solo

Post by Solo »

Good morning Baska and all together :hi:
baska wrote: October 14th, 2018, 7:40 am ...
from my archive
http://trip-suggest.com/turkey/konya/eksile/
baska

Post by baska »

Nice, Solo ! :D
TY ! It is difficult to find something about this lake ...
The only thing I found out, is, that it must have a lot of fisches.
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Solo

Post by Solo »

baska wrote: October 14th, 2018, 9:47 am...It is difficult to find something about this lake ...
with Turkish name(s) it is little better - now: Hatunsaray Göleti/pond or Hatunsaray Baraji/fishing pond :headroll:

now not much water :puzzled: Photo - Sep 2018 googlemaps: https://goo.gl/maps/Fk8Cb1kw3nu
baska

Post by baska »

Solo wrote: October 14th, 2018, 10:17 am with Turkey name(s) it is little better - now: Hatunsaray Göleti/pond or Hantusaray Baraji/fishing pond :headroll:

now not much water :puzzled: Photo - Sep 2018 googlemaps: https://goo.gl/maps/Fk8Cb1kw3nu
I have made that ! But no picture is very attractive nor significant.
That is good ! The less water it is, the better for Karula to catch fishes ! :whistling:
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone! :wave:

Many thanks for the updates and photos. :thumbs:
baska wrote: October 14th, 2018, 7:40 am ...
update KARULA
last data : 13.10.2018
distance : 3669 km (+ 67 km )
distance : 3720 km (+ 51 km )
So he has done together 118 km yesterday
Anne, I think Karula will keep to his left side because direction south are mountains, which he might like to avoid. He will follow the route of his father ...
I hope that you are right, Baska! Let's hope that Karula flies direction Karaman. :thumbs:
(Päike flew directly southwards over the Carpathian Mountains (between Ukraine and Romania) and got off the 'usual' track, by doing that...)

I have a few photos of landscapes along Karula's current route.

https://goo.gl/maps/GYdJk9AfsfP2

https://goo.gl/maps/8TpR6RJybk52
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
raija

Post by raija »

Did you find something interesting from the transmitters instructions?
For example, if the transmitter had dropped somewhere and then found, what would it say (e.g.in Bird Map) ?
This is how I think the transmitter works. The transmitter sends or tries to send data every now and then (6 hours? I don't know because user (Urmas?) can set this period). If no data messages are sent I think the reason is missing mobile network. The transmitter itself doesn't "know" who or what is carrying it (can be in my hand, in a car and so on).
If the transmitter is dropped it continues sending data if there is mobile network and it is not broken.

In Päike's case I think the most probable reason is for lack of data is, that Päike starts flying toward Africa. The mobile network around Greece (in south) is quite narrow, so the transmitter couldn't sent data. Also the mobile network in Libya is narrow... But the transmitter can save lot of data its "hard disk" and send when mobile network is working again.

At the time transmitter is not sending data and so there is nothing new in Bird Map about Päike. But we don't know reason for missing transmitter data , so we have to wait.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Treia wrote: October 13th, 2018, 11:55 pm .....
Did you find something interesting from the transmitters instructions?
For example, if the transmitter had dropped somewhere and then found, what would it say (e.g.in Bird Map) ?
Kate, Black Stork 2015 has died. Her transmitter is still sending data:

http://www.goris.lv/kate-2015/

Besides that. I do not think that Päike is outside the GSM coverage.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm ... I do not think that Päike is outside the GSM coverage.
:hi: Liz, why do you think that - what is the reason?
baska

Post by baska »

May also be that the transmitter of PÄIKEN is fallen in the sea.....

Liz :hi: the transmitter of Kate still works ! :shock: For four years ! That is enormous ! Must be a solar transmitter....
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: October 14th, 2018, 1:35 pm :hi: Liz, why do you think that - what is the reason?
Solo :hi:
I can also ask why some think that's not the case. We will not come to any result. :shake:
Päike flew in the wrong direction. She/he was not aimed directly at the country. If she/he has maintained that direction, the route is longer than we think.
She/he was flying slowly and not very high. Above the sea, this altitude seems low to me, because there are no thermals.These are facts we could see.
The rest is logic in my view.

EDIT: No GSM coverage, the transmitter is broken or lost .. these are not facts either.
So let's wait and see what the future holds.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I believe that little Päike is no longer with us. It is too long now that the transmitter is silent/not moving. The decision to fly across the Mediterranean was fatal. R.I.P. :cry:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

baska wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:11 pm May also be that the transmitter of PÄIKEN is fallen in the sea.....

Liz :hi: the transmitter of Kate still works ! :shock: For four years ! That is enormous ! Must be a solar transmitter....
Baksa :hi:
far as I know, all solar powered. With batteries, that would not make sense. They do not last long. Raivo also had solar transmitters.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Rita wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:30 pm I believe that little Päike is no longer with us. It is too long now that the transmitter is silent/not moving. The decision to fly across the Mediterranean was fatal. R.I.P. :cry:
Rita :hi:
I would not completely give up hope. Let us wait another few weeks. Sometimes miracles happen :innocent:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Rita wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:30 pmI believe that little Päike is no longer with us. It is too long now that the transmitter is silent/not moving. The decision to fly across the Mediterranean was fatal. R.I.P. :cry:
:hi: Rita,
- we hadn't data
- nobody reported about Päike (birding report) -if saw Päike or found Päike's body or transmitter
- we know only the last data: 07.10.2018 and last localisation (above sea, but not far from coast)
- PL BS Woodek - Bialy send data after 10 day (probably in the wider area as Päike flew - Woodek crossed Mediterranean from Italy)

if is Päike still alive or perished will be maybe question without answer :bow:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm ... I do not think that Päike is outside the GSM coverage.
Solo wrote: October 14th, 2018, 1:35 pm:hi: Liz, why do you think that - what is the reason?
Liz01 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:26 pm ...Päike flew in the wrong direction. She/he was not aimed directly at the country. If she/he has maintained that direction, the route is longer than we think. She/he was flying slowly and not very high. Above the sea, this altitude seems low to me, because there are no thermals.These are facts we could see. The rest is logic in my view.
EDIT: No GSM coverage, the transmitter is broken or lost .. these are not facts either. So let's wait and see what the future holds.
- answer to my question :puzzled:

- flew wrong direction - only not the best, not the most commonly used migration path (Päike's last localisation is not far from coast) - who know Päike's direction
- flying slowly and not very high - if I remember correct Anne's source wrote not that :puzzled: Anne, :help:
- poor GSM coverage is fact (Woodek sent data after 10 days - and more birds ...)

so, wait, believ, hope :2thumbsup:
(we all know, if all 3 our young storks survive this first (hardest) year, it will be miracle, mortality is very, very high)
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

Thank you all for providing recent data and updates daily on our beloved family. I am praying for dear Päike, nothing is certain yet.

:wave:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”