Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Solo

Re: Following Karl's Family

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 2:58 pm ...I 'reconstructed' what might be (more or less) a more 'realistic' traject that was flown by Päike. ... But the 'connection'-lines between those pink spots are, in reality, not (always) straight lines. Birds usually do not turn in such extreme sharp edges...
Anne, I think you do it very realistic :2thumbsup:, thank you :laugh: (only the one sharp edge is probably not the best)
vids:
Behavioural strategies of storks while thermalling https://youtu.be/RRq-panAKME
Flapping behaviour of thermalling storks https://youtu.be/v-kmRVTpsMk
sova

Post by sova »

Dear Anne
You wanted to write sure; 12:45
this is not a complaint :bow:

I'm very grateful that you made the picture :2thumbsup: (wanted too, but it was nothing). So it is very visible how her flight was. I always hope .... but I do not believe it anymore. Sorry ... :unsure:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Solo wrote: October 16th, 2018, 3:24 pm Anne, I think you do it very realistic :2thumbsup:, thank you :laugh: (only the one sharp edge is probably not the best)
vids:
Behavioural strategies of storks while thermalling https://youtu.be/RRq-panAKME
Flapping behaviour of thermalling storks https://youtu.be/v-kmRVTpsMk
Thanks, Solo :wave:
Yes, it could be that the turn above Schiza was wider... :puzzled:

Edit: I made it a little wider now.

I wish that Päike never made that turn...
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: October 16th, 2018, 3:30 pm Dear Anne
You wanted to write sure; 12:45
Hello, Sova! :wave:

OH, the 1 fell off. :mrgreen: Thanks for seeing that. :thumbs:
I will correct it!

EDIT: It's done!

Sova, I also have little faith in a good ending. (So far, I have not seen many miracles in my life.).
I do not think that Päike returned to Greece, once more... (I am convinced that we would have new data if she did.) So, in my opinion, she really tried to cross that huge sea. But because there is no evidence, only deductive thinking, my opinion is no more valuable than the opinion of those who still believe. I can only hope that I am wrong.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Treia

Post by Treia »

Hello Anne,

Very Very Big Thank You for an excellent reconstruction picture !!!
The picture gives a much better idea of how the flightroute may have gone.

:bow:
sova

Post by sova »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 3:34 pm Sova, I also have little faith in a good ending. (So far, I have not seen many miracles in my life.).
I do not think that Päike returned to Greece, once more... (I am convinced that we would have new data if she did.) So, in my opinion, she really tried to cross that huge sea. But because there is no evidence, only deductive thinking, my opinion is no more valuable than the opinion of those who still believe. I can only hope that I am wrong.
Do you know Anne, history repeats itself ....
In 2015 I *accompanied* Lonja on her way. From the 09.07.2016 (I think) there were no new data. I do not know how long I kept looking at one day. Exactly the same with Päike.
If all this had happened over land then I would have more hope .... but over sea. I'm just sorry ...
Solo

Post by Solo »

sova wrote: October 16th, 2018, 4:29 pm...In 2015 I *accompanied* Lonja on her way. From the 09.07.2016 (I think) there were no new data. I do not know how long I kept looking at one day. ...
Dear Sova,
you remember very good, but "derzeit verschollen im Chad" (currently lost in the Chad), not " tot" (perished)

the fly-line connects the last known localisation: 20.06. with the new data: 08.07. (very probably it must have been problem with transmitter)
Solo

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 11:59 am ... I wonder when our little Maru will move on. Isn't it time to continue the journey, now? Or is there still no reason to hurry?
e.g. BS Sarma flew over Gulf of Iskenderun at Nov. 9 https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 59#p428159 (after many weeks in Turkey – she had arrived there at October 4th)
sova

Post by sova »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 11:59 am
I wonder when our little Maru will move on. Isn't it time to continue the journey, now?
Or is there still no reason to hurry?
I've often wondered if winds are also a factor in Maru.
It has almost no north winds. Karl and Karula had it ...
But just .... I'm not an expert ...

Thanks Solo
Let's hope that Lonja is still alive somewhere .... Maxi too.
You know, Zoo Zagreb was sponsor and I spent my Sundays at this zoo as a junior. :rolleyes:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hi :hi:

big thank to all of you for the updates. :bow: :2thumbsup:
I'm still busy with other things. But our Päike is constantly in my head, so I have read again (baska, Anne 1km in the book :mrgreen: )

The black stork is due to its morphology, narrower wings and smaller span range, rather able than the white stork to cross the Mediterranean in active flight.

It happens more often than we can read until now. Many observations are not published. It is a pity for us, we are very interested :rant:
sova

Post by sova »

Liz01 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:32 pm The black stork is due to its morphology, narrower wings and smaller span range, rather able than the white stork to cross the Mediterranean in active flight.
:hi:
your words in the ear of God :nod:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:38 pm :hi:
your words in the ear of God :nod:
Sova, this is really a wonderful saying.
I looked it up. I didn't know this saying. :laugh:
The German "Dein Wort in Gottes Ohr!" also exists in English.
Apparently, they say: "From your lips (or 'from your mouth') to God's ears."

That's a beautiful thought! :nod:
Liz01 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:32 pm
Hello, Liz :wave:
I honestly hope that the book is right!

Edit: I have been wondering: What is the 'usual' migration traject of Storks (black or white) that breed in Greece?
I can not find information about it.
Only the sentence that Solo mentioned:
(white storks, publ. year 2004/05) "Young birds may be particularly vulnerable during their first migration, as they have to cover a long distance over the sea and many of them do not survive. This assumption is supported by the number of birds found drowned along the coast of Kythera (Kominos, pers. obs.). However, long-term studies are needed before drawing any conclusions."
(source: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ece_200405)
— Irene Pepperberg
Michi

Post by Michi »

Good evening together, :wave:

Update MARU

Last data: 15.10.2018 (the second one from the same day)
Distance: 3319 km (+ 3 km; + 2 km from the transmission before = 5 km in 1 day), same area

From Maru there are no news. I don't think that there's a reason to worry about it at this time. Although it would be maybe better for her, if she was not the last stork who flies to the Sinai Peninsula. I wish her that she can fly across the Gulf of Suez in good company, not alone. :rolleyes:

Again Maru stayed in the little forest where she was already before.

Thank you very much all for todays updates! I appreciate a lot to see all those interesting pictures from the surroundings of our storks. :2thumbsup:
Special thanks to Baska for the picture from Karula in August! It's very nice to see her again.
If you imagine this little stork is on his own on such a big trip ... :rolleyes: :bow:

I'm glad you like the pics from GE. :-) Good ones one can get only when there are mountains and valleys. In lowland they are not so attractive.
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:32 pm .... the book

The black stork is due to its morphology, narrower wings and smaller span range, rather able than the white stork to cross the Mediterranean in active flight.
sova wrote: October 16th, 2018, 6:38 pm your words in the ear of God :nod:
I hope it helps, Sova! :D

Anne :wave: , when people use this saying, they are usually sceptical about what has been said before.
Don't worry, Liz! :D :hi:
Solo

Post by Solo »

sova wrote: October 16th, 2018, 5:52 pm ... Thanks Solo Let's hope that Lonja is still alive somewhere .... Maxi too. You know, Zoo Zagreb was sponsor and I spent my Sundays at this zoo as a junior. :rolleyes:
yes, I know ... nice time in ZOO - am I right? (you know FB SOS Tesla - Save White Storks? ... not only about WS)
sova

Post by sova »

Yes Solo .... I know it :nod: Oh yeah, that was wonderful time

Michi ... I hope so too
Michi

Post by Michi »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 2:58 pm I 'reconstructed' what might be (more or less) a more 'realistic' traject that was flown by Päike.
[.....]
Thanks a lot, Anne, for the map you have done. Now one can much better classify the reported data from Urmas about altitude and speed. It is very interesting to see the high altitude over land and then the change to lower and again higher altitude over the sea.
Päike has certainly noticed the falling altitude above the sea, otherwise she wouldn't have flown back a bit to the north again. When she reached again greater heights she probably thought she could make it.
Poor Päike. I don't want to imagine what has happened to her. :unsure:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Michi wrote: October 16th, 2018, 8:33 pm ...
Anne :wave: , when people use this saying, they are usually sceptical about what has been said before.
Hello, Michi! :wave:

Oh! :mrgreen:
I read this explanation:
"When you say this to someone, it means that you hope that what he is saying will come true.

Thanks for the update!
I agree, Michi: It would be better for Maru, if she/he will not be the very last stork that flies to the Sinai Peninsula...

Michi, I also do not want to imagine what (probably?) happened to Päike.

TODAY'S SUMMARY

KARL
No new data

Second update on 15.10 MARU
Last data: 15.10.2018
Distance: 3319 km (+ 3 km on the same day), same area
Total: 2 + 3 = + 5 km in 1 day
Weather report at 16:00
temp: 19°
Precipitation: 0 mm
Humidity: 30%
Wind 100 m - SE (31 km/h); 18:00 SE (27 km/h)
Wind 250 m - SE (35 km/h); 18:00 SE (43 km/h)

PÄIKE
No new data (Last data: 07.10)

Third update on 15.10 KARULA
Last data: 15.10.2018
Distance: 4189 km (+ 47 km on the same day), travelling
Total: 36 + 145 + 47 = + 228 km in 1 day
Weather report at 16:00
temp: 31°
Precipitation: 0 mm
Humidity: 30%
Wind 100 m - variable directions (11 km/h); 18:00 variable directions (12 km/h)
Wind 500 m - variable directions (15 km/h); 18:00 variable directions (03 km/h)

Have a nice evening, all!
:wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm I read this explanation:
"When you say this to someone, it means that you hope that what he is saying will come true.
:nod:

Wish you all good night .... beautiful dreams :wave:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Anne7 wrote: October 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm Oh! :mrgreen:
I read this explanation:
Anne, this is not a contradiction. :mrgreen:
Of course the people hope that it will come true, but they have also doubts about it.

Edit: Or is it only my own thinking? :puzzled:

Good night all! :D

Return to “Migration Maps and News”