Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2018

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Abigyl

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2018

Post by Abigyl »

There are words for each age but till now, nobody was sent to jail if he didn't use the right name :rotf:

Chick - for a born baby :chick:

Eaglet for a kid on the nest or still very young

Later:

Sub-adult

And then Adult.

I'm sure Liz or Ame will show you the pictures from their books.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Abigyl, thanks, such extensive gradation on age isn't necessary to me, I will even more get confused. :mrgreen:
In this message I meant the child and and have written in Russian in the translator. Back from English to me it is translated as the adult. So actually I have written? It essentially in many cases.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

aijucis, on DDforum has seen the bird flying at the left above at 10:53:40-10:53:53. Who is it?
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: October 27th, 2018, 12:46 pm ...
In this message I meant the child and and have written in Russian in the translator. Back from English to me it is translated as the adult. So actually I have written? It essentially in many cases.
with the Google Translator it is difficult. i translate from one language to the second and from the second language back to the first language if i need to know for sure that it does a good job. like Abigyl wrote it is not a crime to write a little inaccurately. but if a child is translated to an adult that is not good. it is not a crime, but it is very confusing. :slap:

little babies are chicks and bigger babies are eaglets. Abigyl still calls Vilnis her Baby. :mrgreen:
i felt that i had to begin to write 'eaglet' instead of 'chick' when our babies turned from grey to brown and started wing exercises. a few days ago (last week?) we had a very spotty visitor (the big girl). i think she was probably born last year (2 Calendar Years old). i called her 'eaglet' anyway because her main colour was brown. this is not rule, it was just based on a feeling. - i think that an eaglet becomes a young eagle when it begins to fly, but i'm not sure. :puzzled:

sub-adult eagles are 3 - 6 years old 'young eagles'. they are like teenagers, not ready to breed yet, but not babies anymore. adult eagles are called 'old eagles' in Finnish. i don't think that it is fair. 'adult' is not a synonym for 'old'. :mrgreen:
- this is practically the same as what Abigyl wrote but in more words. i hope this is not even more confusing... :slap:

the wind is becoming harder and harder all the time. it is becoming a real storm.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: October 27th, 2018, 1:19 pm aijucis, on DDforum has seen the bird flying at the left above at 10:53:40-10:53:53. Who is it?
https://youtu.be/tE2tf1SLeqA
i made a close-up clip of the fly-by. the wing-beat is faster than an eagle's.

it was very dark. a raven?
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

I don't like the thick stick on the left; looks like it's going to slip down with such a strong wind.

Problem is that it'll take other smaller sticks down :slap:
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Abigyl, That's my big excitement and fear here, too :unsure: .
:2thumbsup: - I still add (17.36) that how about the other end :idea: ? We cannot see if there down is some support!

So, noeagle (nobody) home today. - The nest looks good!
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Thanks for answers! Now for myself I will make a note.
Here I can't understand about whom the speech, for example.
ame wrote: October 26th, 2018, 10:40 am i think it must be an eaglet, one of their one:
The breed, without age coloring is translated to me. I also shouldn't understand, times I don't know language. But I have to write clear.

Now you have explained to me that it is the adult. Image I will remember.
highlander

Post by highlander »

Abigyl wrote: October 27th, 2018, 4:32 pm I don't like the thick stick on the left; looks like it's going to slip down with such a strong wind.

Hello Abigyl, hello forum

I think, this mighty stick is a stick of no return, the eagles are not able to take this stick back in a good position. the earlier this stick fall down, the better is it. on the next sunny day, the couple will fill the hole with left. :D
Sorry for my bad english, will use partially TM.
In my range is definitely no yeti.
Biker

Post by Biker »

ame wrote: October 27th, 2018, 8:36 am Oct 27

good morning!
the weather is windy and cloudy today. the air is very humid, there's mist in the air, maybe even drizzle. quite different than yesterday when it was a lovely sunshine.

8:45 now i can see that it is raining big drops.
btw: yesterday at this time some birds flew over making very strange (funny) calls. it was like they could not sing properly. they flew by out of sight.
swans? geese?? :help:

thank you zhu39 for the clarification of the DR to SW. :thumbs:
also i was puzzled about it. :laugh:
Canada goose / Branta canadensis
here is a good recording of flight calls for comparsion made by Sue Riffe
https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Branta-canadensis
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Abigyl wrote: October 27th, 2018, 4:32 pm I don't like the thick stick on the left; looks like it's going to slip down with such a strong wind.

Because of this log/billet all worry. But what we can make? I don't understand what it holds now. Maybe won't fall.

Trees have strongly become bare from this wind today.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Sonchik, that's true :D . I suppose there down might be a kind of support!
Let's be optimistic...

No, we cannot do anything for the 'log'.
What if :), to guard the 'log' is just our 'amusement' now when no Eagles present.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

It will be a pity if he disorganizes a half of a nest the falling. Therefore we worry. Eagles tried month, built.
Eagles don't feel pity, probably.
Sylvika

Post by Sylvika »

Still staring at the nest and the log :shock: !
What happens if Milda or Raimis next time lands - on the top
of the thick stick :D .
But, in case that several sticks would fall down - The Eagles
build everything again!
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: October 27th, 2018, 5:23 pm Thanks for answers! Now for myself I will make a note.
Here I can't understand about whom the speech, for example.
oh dear, i made a mistake there! :slap: :blush:
i wrote:
"i think it must be an eaglet, one of their one"
it should be "one of their own (eaglets)", meaning Vilnis or Robis. :faint:

i have noticed that this autumn i have started to make this kind of writing mistakes. i'll try to be more careful.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: October 27th, 2018, 5:35 pm Because of this log/billet all worry. But what we can make? I don't understand what it holds now. Maybe won't fall...
Raimis put the big branch first in a good place when he brought it. a little later he worked with sticks and branches... and he pushed the big branch out to the place where it is now. when i saw him doing that i thought "oh no! silly bird!" :slap: :laugh:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: October 27th, 2018, 7:29 pm Raimis put the big branch first in a good place when he brought it. a little later he worked with sticks and branches... and he pushed the big branch out to the place where it is now. when i saw him doing that i thought "oh no! silly bird!" :slap: :laugh:
All of us have so thought then. And now we look with horror - will fall, won't fall?
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: October 27th, 2018, 6:12 pm It will be a pity if he disorganizes a half of a nest the falling. Therefore we worry. Eagles tried month, built.
Eagles don't feel pity, probably.
do you mean something like 'regret' with the word 'pity', 'being sorry' about something? that the eagles are not sorry if they see that they made a mistake?

i have made a similar observation. if the parent brings a fish for the eaglets and the fish drops by mistake then it seems that the parent just looks down and says "well, there it went." then the parent smacks its beak a few times smack-smack and flies away. (at this point the eaglets are, of course, furiously disappointed and screaming. :mrgreen: )

the same thing happened with the first sticks which were brought to the nest. most of the sticks dropped one after the other, but the eagles didn't look disappointed or frustrated. they just looked down at the falling stick and said "well, there it went." then they flew away and soon brought in the next stick. they seem to have endless patience.
at the same time we, human observers, were biting our fingernails and tearing our hair in disappointment and screaming "oooh! silly bird, be more careful!" :laugh:

:wave: :offtobed:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame,

I forgot to tell you that I assume Janis didn't move Liz's plastic branch; since we can still see a part of it on the right next to logo.
Now it's OK, only a very small part is seen, but strong wind might bring it back :slap:

:offtobed:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: October 27th, 2018, 9:46 pm do you mean something like 'regret' with the word 'pity', 'being sorry' about something? that the eagles are not sorry if they see that they made a mistake?
Yes.
at the same time we, human observers, were biting our fingernails and tearing our hair in disappointment and screaming "oooh! silly bird, be more careful!" :laugh:
Yes, this exclusively human quality. Image
Really this quality has taken out us on evolution top? Image
Abigyl wrote: October 27th, 2018, 11:43 pm I assume Janis didn't move Liz's plastic branch...
Yanis didn't rise to the camera, he worked only under a nest.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”