Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Made

Re: Following Karl's Family

Post by Made »

Michi wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:40 pm What will Maru do now? I'm afraid she might fly to Saudi-Arabia after all. The way there leads over shorter stretches of water. But this is not the way to Africa. :unsure:
Then she can go to Eedi`s wintering site... :offtobed: But it seems very hard trip for first year stork without advanced companions and through unforeseen circumstances..

The history of Movebank following migration sites shows two storks in this region. Kate in her first migration in 2014 arrived here from other side and thus it was normal to continue the way in direction to Gulf of Sueca. For Maru it looks going back, but it should be the very nice decision. BS 15012 (Lithuania) in 2015 made wrong decision - after several attempts to go in other directions he choose direction to North and after hard trip was back near the Dead see, where end his way in forest watering basin.

Maru has noticed those ponds, which can be useful like BS 15012 use them for base in this region (red dot is airport, he did not spend time there)
Michi

Post by Michi »

MARU

Last data: 31.10.2018
Distance: 6343 km (+ 70 km in 1 day), travelling

View to north-east.

Maru in the near of many probably fine hotels at Scharm El-Scheich. The hotels have a lot of green gardens, pools ... :-/
And our poor Maru all alone behind without water and food. :cry:

Maru is only about 200 m behind the airport of Scharm El-Scheich. The transmission point shows her at the edge of a kind of road, an earth road probably.
This part of the airport has large green areas. I can imagine, Maru would be pleased to find some greenery (and some nice insects) in this desert. :unsure:
View to north.

Thank you all for todays updates, Sova, Baska, Hellem, Anne7 and all! :wave:
Solo, welcome back! :D
Balistar :wave:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Made wrote: October 31st, 2018, 9:50 pm Then she can go to Eedi`s wintering site... :offtobed: But it seems very hard trip for first year stork without advanced companions and through unforeseen circumstances..
Thank you for your opinion, Made. I know about the route Kate has taken, - and her sad end. I completely agree with you that Saudi Arabia is a very difficult place for an inexperienced young stork. Even about Eedi I'm worried every winter.
About the stork BS 15012 from Lithuania I'm not sure if I have understand correctly. Did he die in that watering basin? :unsure:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Rita wrote: October 31st, 2018, 6:43 pm Solo: This will never be confirmed. There will be no remains found.

I am just taking in account all known facts and draw a logical conclusion.
You want me to repeat what I wrote about it?

Many of us have some other experiences and saw other cases. So why do you insist on this when we can see that it's hurting others here? :rolleyes:
sova

Post by sova »

Abigyl wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:33 pm So why do you insist on this when we can see that it's hurting others here? :rolleyes:
Abigyl .... that's a good question :nod:
sova

Post by sova »

I always think when I'm unsure, I'm worried; Maru is not alone. Tomorrow the world looks better ..... :nod:

Wish you all a nice and relaxing night. :wave:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Anne7 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 9:34 pm
Michi, thanks for the updates :thumbs:
(This time, your post is scaring me a little.)
Anne, I‘m very sorry that I‘ve scared you. But I can't help myself. I am in great worry about Maru.
She does not know where to fly and she has nothing to eat. I hope she will soon fly to any place where she can get food. She needs strength. This is very important for further orientation, - to find a good (the right) route.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Michi wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:44 pm Anne, I can't help myself. I am in great worry about Maru.
She does not know where to fly and she has nothing to eat. I hope she will soon fly to any place where she can get food. She needs strength. This is very important for further orientation, - to find a good route.
I know, Michi. :nod:
I cross my fingers. I hope that she will find enough food soon.
And hopefully we will see her on the good side of the Gulf of Suez, tomorrow. :unsure:

TODAY'S SUMMARY

KARL
No new data (Last data: 26.10.2018)

MARU
Distance: 6343 km (+ 70 km in 1 day), travelling
Weather data at 10:00
temp: 30°
Precipitation: 0 mm
Humidity: 50%
Wind 250 m - NW/NE (21 km/h); 16:00 N (11km/h)
Wind 500 m - NE (21 km/h); 16:00 N (03 km/h)
Wind 750 m - NE (22 km/h); 16:00 NE (10 km/h)

PÄIKE
No new data (Last data: 07.10)

KARULA
Distance: 4749 km (+ 10 km in 2 day), same area
Weather data at 10:00
temp: 21°
Precipitation: 0 mm
Humidity: 20%
Wind 100 m - E (21 km/h); 16:00 NE/E (13km/h)
Wind 250 m - E (20 km/h); 16:00 NE/E (10 km/h)
Wind 500 m - E (17 km/h); 16:00 NE/E (09 km/h)

Good night, everyone!
:wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Michi

Post by Michi »

Anne7 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:47 pm I know, Michi. :nod:
I cross my fingers. I hope she finds enough food soon.
And hopefully we will see her on the good side of the Gulf of Suez, tomorrow. :unsure:
I cross my fingers, too. :2thumbsup:

Thank you for the summary!

Good night all! Good night, Sova! :wave:
Michi

Post by Michi »

raija wrote: October 31st, 2018, 5:32 pm This is so interesting to follow Karl's family trip.
In the morning, I first check LD's news and pictures and many times during the day and, of course, last before I go to bed. :loveshower:

I hope we know where Päike is. :unsure:
Raija :wave: , I do it the same way. We are all addicted to news about Karl and his family. :D

About Päike: I'm sorry about the hard answer you got (which we all got). No one knows where Päike is. It is likely that she is dead. But, as some forum members here explained, there have been cases where lost birds have reappeared even after many months.

Good night!
baska

Post by baska »

Michi wrote: October 31st, 2018, 10:27 pm Thank you for your opinion, Made. I know about the route Kate has taken, - and her sad end. I completely agree with you that Saudi Arabia is a very difficult place for an inexperienced young stork.
Hello Michi :hi:
But Kate could be optimistic, the region wasn't too bad - until this unusual and heavy typhoon came up, let her drift off her route and additionally perhaps smashed her against rocks ....

But anyway, it would be better if Maru would decide to cross the Suez Golf :bow:

Good night to you and good night to everybody ! :wave:
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Michi

Post by Michi »

baska wrote: November 1st, 2018, 12:24 am But Kate could be optimistic, the region wasn't too bad - until this unusual and heavy typhoon came up, let her drift off her route and additionally perhaps smashed her against rocks ....
I've read recently that Maris Strazds believes that Kate was dead already before the typhoon came up. Unfortunately I don't know anymore where I've read it. Maybe Liz knows it? :help:

Good night, Baska! :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Good Morning all :hi:

Thanks a lot for the updates and the very interesting information and communication. It is very interesting to read everything.

It seems, that Karula is like a second Raivo. He/she is great. If she stays in this area, we will be able to watch her well. There seems there a good GSM coverage.

Anne, I already have written it how great the data from Maru are? An amazing job. Thanks for that. Thanks also to Jo and Urmas, who made it possible to see this data :loveshower:

Michi, Sova, Baska, Solo, Hellem, Made thanks for great pictures and very good work here. I am excited about it :bow:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Michi wrote: November 1st, 2018, 12:55 am I've read recently that Maris Strazds believes that Kate was dead already before the typhoon came up. Unfortunately I don't know anymore where I've read it. Maybe Liz knows it? :help:

Michi :hi: , you can read it here ... I have to translate it :slap: :laugh:

http://www.goris.lv/ja-jums-liekas-ka-viss-ir-kartiba/

Michi I found it in LK- Posting by Lianaliesma
Māris Strazds: Kate gājusi bojā jau dažas dienas iepriekš – visticamāk 30. oktobra agrā rītā vai iepriekšējā naktī, 531 dienas vecumā.

Unfortunately the signal recordings show that most likely Kate was already dead before the hurrikane.
As to Māris Strazds she died at the age of 531 days, in the early morning of October 30.
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 05#p427405
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Good Morning !

Thanks Liz for bringing back the bad memories.

I think I translated a part which is very interesting and relevant to our case:

""It was hard to write about it and leave it, in fact I do not know what to expect, because there was quite a lot of prospect of getting good news. On the contrary. According to the previous experience with other birds, both black storks and predators, there was a statistical basis for expecting less good news. In other words, the lack of information from the missing bird. Feja was the basis of this possible anxiety. Six days ago, Feja had done an unthinkable journey - crossed the Mediterranean Sea, at its widest point - from Greece to Libya (at least 578 km above the sea), moreover, almost safely, carried it overnight, the first known flight to the black storekeeper (details may see the English version on this page). Even worse, after crossing the Mediterranean, she continued to fly over Sahara virtually without stopping. It's safe to know that she has flown 1221 km in 46 hours and over 800 km in a single day flight. It was already phenomenal. But Feja is not the first stork with a transmitter that has flown over the Mediterranean. Last year, the new bird from Bavaria did the same. Also, this bird immediately crossed the Sahara immediately following the sea crossing and disappeared there. When there was no sign of Feja for the sixth day, I began to accustom myself to the thought that she too ... Well, yes. To this day, when reviewing the news, I almost got a heart beat - a signal from Fejas! Moreover - actually on the other side of Sahara, from Chad! This made it a little more difficult to calculate because it can be said that she has reached the wintering area. Her last flight phase lasted 17 days and at that time she completed at least 3660 km, which is 60% of the total distance traveled. On average, 215 km a day. In total Feja spent 90 days on the route, 2/3 of them, or 61 days of eating (in two places, 45 and 16 days respectively), and the three flight phases lasted 8, 4 and 17 days respectively.""
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: November 1st, 2018, 7:05 am Good Morning !

Thanks Liz for bringing back the bad memories.

I think I translated a part which is very interesting and relevant to our case:...........
Abigyl, thanks a lot :bow: You are great. :loveshower:
raija

Post by raija »

Maybe Maru has got a fellow traveler CNIG05 :loveshower:

http://mapa.bocianimy.pl/
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

WOW !! Great news!!

A Polish friend :loveshower:

They didn't cross the Bay (Water) at same place, but they crossed Karula about same way. I think it's the first time we have such news :thumbs: :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

raija wrote: November 1st, 2018, 7:42 am Maybe Maru has got a fellow traveler CNIG05 :loveshower:

http://mapa.bocianimy.pl/

woow! Maybe there are also adult storks :2thumbsup:

We all are still learning :laugh:

It is a storklet from this year

take a look, where is CNIG11 - I think it is Karula's area. :laugh: No! Karula is far from that place.
Treia

Post by Treia »

:wave: Good morning all,
and thank you for all updates, news, and comments !

Thoughts...

Maru. If she has been flying and flyes in the group, then the whole group is there in Sharm El-Sheikh, and the group can joyfully fly around such as the birds (White Storks?) in Solo's image from Sharm El Sheikh. But, would the whole group fly as we can see Maru is flying? Maybe that's possible? However, if Maru flyes alone, she may still look for food and sweet water before the Gulf crossing, like Balistar wrote. Whatever it is, I surely hope that Maru finds the right way, in other words, the right and best way for herself.
And now we can see that maybe or at least CNIG05 seems to be with her ! :loveshower:

Päike. It's very difficult to say anything. Whether she has managed to fly over the sea, whether the strenght has run out, whether she may have been shot near the islands, whether connections have been broken... or something else, it's hard to say. But as has been said here by Abigyl : "There here were stories about birds who came back home in the spring. Their transmitter had a problem . So we have 5-6 months to wait". So... for my part I hope that... that hopefully, possibly and perhaps our Päike is only somewhere outside the connections, and would surprise us at some point with good news ? But maybe, or if, however, that file from Urmas would tell us something?

Return to “Migration Maps and News”