Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Solo

Re: Following Karl's Family

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 12:34 pm ...
here you can read about one young BS from Poland and his wintering on the irrigated fields and resting on the electricity pool - they hadn't trees :bow: (in Sudan): https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 89#p510089 (that stork called Younger is from streamed Sosna/Pine-nest, hatched in year 2016) - infos: FB page Regionalna Dyrekcja Lasów Państwowych w Łodzi ..."Wintering place is no longer a riverside savanna with trees, but the fields of irrigation ditches and the poles electric traction. Although it seems strange, storks somehow found themselves in this new environment. What does this indicate? - Provides mainly plasticity of this species. " (GT)
Edit: btw. this young stork also spend a little time in Sharm area
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Our little Karula is back after his excursion to the Dead Sea. :D

TRACKER MAP
Karula_Dec04
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DB-a0 ... sp=sharing

Today’s track until 14:57:10 (UTC+2)

Karula is at the fish ponds of Tirat Zvi
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Tirat Zvi is a religious kibbutz in the Beit She'an Valley, ten kilometers south of the city of Beit She'an, Israel, just west of the Jordan River and the Israel-Jordan border. It falls under the jurisdiction of Valley of Springs Regional Council. In 2017 it had a population of 801.
Tirat Zvi sits 220 meters below sea level. On 21 June 1942, it recorded the highest daytime temperature in Asia (54°C),although the validity of this measurement has been questioned, and based on the published thermograph data it seems to have been somewhere between 53.6 to 54.4°C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirat_Zvi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirat_Zvi ... t_Tzvi.jpg
© Uploaded on wikipedia by אסף.צ, who claims to have made the image.

Recent Bird Sightings at Tirat Zvi Fish Ponds:
November 30, 2018 at 6:40 AM: 32 Black Storks
https://www.waxwingeco.com/birding-hots ... d=L2106574
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Good evening :hi:
Anne thanks for the card and info :2thumbsup:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

:loveshower:

This BS is clever! She likes it better in a green place, with trees to rest on, with nice fishies...

And now it's winter and it won't be so warm, like in 1942...

Great news on the changes to birds in Israel. This article is from today!! After the news about the changes in the ponds, I thought it will be very interesting to read this :

https://www.haaretz.com/misc/writers/WRITER-1.4968140
sova

Post by sova »

Abigyl wrote: December 4th, 2018, 6:59 pm Great news on the changes to birds in Israel. This article is from today!! After the news about the changes in the ponds, I thought it will be very interesting to read this :
https://www.haaretz.com/misc/writers/WRITER-1.4968140
I can not read it without registration
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

TODAY'S SUMMARY DECEMBER 04

KARL (Karl is probably in South Sudan)
No new data (Last data: 15.11.2018)

MARU (Maru is near the Nile in Egypt since 01.11; = 33 days)
Last data: 04.12.2018
Distance: 7426 km (+ 20 km in 1 day), same area (fields near Adindan, Egypt)
Weather report 04.12 at 10:00
temp: 22°; 15:00 22°
Precipitation: 0 mm
Humidity: 30%
Air pressure: 1016 hPa
Wind 100 m - W/NW (17 km/h); 15:00 NW (18 km/h)
Wind 250 m - W/NW (17 km/h); 15:00 NW (20 km/h)
Wind 500 m - W/NW (18 km/h); 15:00 NW (18 km/h)

PÄIKE
No new data (Last data: 07.10.2018)

KARULA
Last data: 04.12.2018
Distance: 5432 km (+ 41 km in 1 day), travelling (to the fish ponds of Tirat Zvi, Israel)
Weather report at Tirat Zvi on 04.12 at 10:00
temp: 20°; 15:00 19°
Precipitation: 0 mm; 15:00 0 mm
Humidity: 60%
Air pressure: 1012 hPa
Wind 100 m - SW (12 km/h); 15:00 SW (23 km/h)
Wind 250 m - SW (12 km/h); 15:00 SW (24 km/h)
Wind 500 m - SW (18 km/h); 15:00 SW (22 km/h)

Good night, everyone.
:wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Now I understand why I got the text separately...

It comes from the google translator, so it doesn't look well organized:

New Code of Ethics Aims to Protect Israel's Birds From Nature Photographers
Document sets guidelines for wildlife photographers to avoid 'causing ongoing damage'
Zafrir Rinat SendSend me email alerts
Dec 04, 2018 3:22 AM
File photo: Migrating cranes rest on the Hula Lake Ornithology and Nature Park in northern Israel, December 7, 2016.Baz Ratner/Reuters

Like people, animals also need privacy during sensitive times of their lives, especially during mating season, as in the case of nesting birds. Too often, this privacy is violated by eager nature photographers, whose number is increasing in Israel.

To prevent such interruptions, a code of ethics for nature photographers who document birds has been drawn up which, among other things, calls to avoid being present while they are nesting.
Under the code, taking pictures of nesting birds is unacceptable and such photographs will not be accepted by online bird-watching forums or competitions. The code also calls on photographers to respect animals’ natural habitats, to avoid digressing from marked paths or riding in all-terrain vehicles into natural areas.
Photographers are also asked to avoid gathering in large groups, particularly near rare attractions like migrating birds that stop to eat or drink during their journey. "The presence of many photographers and bird-watchers in the same place causes ongoing damage," states the code.

The document also states that birds should not be fed, nor should their habitats be altered in any way to get a more interesting picture.
The code of ethics was prepared in cooperation with ornithologists at the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel and the Israel Nature and Parks Authority. It will be presented for the first time next Monday at Tel Aviv University, during the 39th Bird-Watching Workshop that the SPNI organizes with the university.
"Photography is a positive activity that contributes to exposing the importance and beauty of nature to the general public," says Dan Alon, the head of SPNI’s Israel Ornithological Center. "But in recent years there has been a significant increase in the number of photographers in Israel, and there are instances in which their activity creates significant disturbance to animals, so the code of ethics was needed."

In one case, which Alon described as extreme, photographers blocked a nest of bee-eaters and put a stick on top of it. A bee-eater that came to the nesting site could not get in; instead, it sat on the stick and began to issue distress calls, which made for a more dramatic and interesting photograph.

In other cases, photographers would chase birds with their vehicles and exhaust them. The most routine but most problematic interruption, Alon says, is the tendency of photographers to approach nesting sites and disrupt the process of protecting and feeding chicks.
"There are people who don’t know they are causing damage," Alon says. "This code is aimed at helping them. It is common in many countries."

In addition to general recommendations, the code also includes specific restrictions. Photographers should not enter quarries from March to July, when some of them are used as nesting sites. Owls should not be photographed near the nesting boxes installed for them, and the rare Houbara bustard should not be photographed other than from the main roads during the first half of the year, so as to avoid harming the birds that are incubated and hatched on the ground during this period.

"The code imposes restrictions that I can definitely live with," says Moshe Cohen, a nature photographer and co-author of the document. "In the end, I do not want to be part of an activity that hurts something that I love and is important to me. It’s a translation of right and wrong into professional language. It’s not a division between good and bad photographers in terms of their relationship with nature, but a call to take responsibility."
sova

Post by sova »

Thank you Abigyl :2thumbsup:
I think that's very good. It is advertised everywhere with the Fototusismus. It has to be limited.
Thanks for translating.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

It was published originally in English (they have 2 daily editions in 2 language!) But I copied text on GT to translate it to french...
Solo

Post by Solo »

update 04.12. :headroll:

MARU - Distance: 7426 km, Last data: 04.12.2018
back resting (very probably) on the electricity pole :bow:

KARULA - Distance: 5432 km, Last data: 04.12.2018

from Shlomtsiyon wider area (Israel), resp. Damiyah (Jordan) to north: kibbutz Tirat-Zvi, fish ponds :laugh:
Solo

Post by Solo »

localisation on the ponds near Tirat-zvi - arrival time: 11:42:15 (UTC+2)

view on the area (another view here in contribution by Anne: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 56#p624156)
(http://www.yorav.co.il/tirat-zvi/tirat-zvi.htm)

:wave: :offtobed:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Good evening together, :wave:
thanks a lot to all for the updates, beautiful and impressive pictures of Karulas surroundings, tracker maps and reports, Solo, Anne, Sova, Liz, Hellem, Abigyl and all! :2thumbsup:

It is very interesting to watch Karulas paths. Always unexpected and astonishing.
I can't remember other young storks on first migration that were similarly enthusiastic about traveling. I have a feeling that Karula is having a very good time, - flying back and forth, exploring Israels landscapes and all those wonderful fish ponds. :D

In this picture I've marked Karulas remarkable travelling on December 3rd to the Dead Sea and back and the current position on December 4th.
View to north.

View to south.

Good night everyone!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

December 5

Good Morning all :hi:
Thank you all for updates and interesting articles, comments and pictures :2thumbsup:

Michi, your I-net works again :laugh:

What our Karula does, is normal for a young stork in the first migration.

Quote:
Young birds behave in comparison to the adults storks in the winter area in general "undecided" They explore the for them new regions. :laugh:
I think, that is, was Karula is doing! Image

Adult Storks are showing a strict loyalty to their chosen wintering places.

Chapter 13 - Wintering - Page 290
Solo

Post by Solo »

KARULA morning 04.12.
details of moving on tracker -map by Anne here https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 55#p624155

morning maybe searching for food in stream south of Damiyah (Jordan): departure time from night area at 6:27, arrival to stream at 6:42 and at 10:43 our after 4 hours (probably fishing) our little Karula moved to north

very probably the area also here is anything else (click or see here the big photo https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 08#p624108):
(the date: put to panoramio)
Solo

Post by Solo »

Good morning Liz and all together :hi:
Liz01 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 7:51 am ... Quote: Young birds behave in comparison to the adults storks in the winter area in general "undecided" They explore the for them new regions. ... Chapter 13 - Wintering - Page 290
Chapter 13 - Wintering - Page 290 :puzzled: (the book by C. Rohden?)
Liz yes, they do it, it is true :nod: , but that trip to south and now back to north is not a commonplace (from my experience) - enough long path
Michi wrote: December 5th, 2018, 2:59 am ... In this picture I've marked Karulas remarkable travelling on December 3rd to the Dead Sea and back and the current position on December 4th. View to north. ... View to south. ...
Michi, TY :2thumbsup: - you know, I like that views very much

Anne, good job (we always), thank you for all news and infos :thumbs:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Good morning, everyone :wave:

Many thanks for all updates, pictures, maps and info. :thumbs:
Michi, good to have you back. :thumbs:
Sova, thank you. I have put the weather data in yesterday's summary.
Solo wrote: December 5th, 2018, 12:40 am ... MARU - Distance: 7426 km, Last data: 04.12.2018
back resting (very probably) on the electricity pole :bow:
I assume that from now on Maru will sleep on one of those pylons every night. A very dangerous habit. :slap:
I do not like seeing this image in the evening, it is worrying.

I made a tracker map to see if Maru is OK this morning.

TRACKER MAP
Maru_Dec05_morning
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15-ZpY ... sp=sharing

Her morning track.
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Good day :hi:

Yes, the masts are very good to see. If only one were ....
https://satellites.pro/#24.405018,33.309656,17
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Here is the most recent tracker map on Karula, until today at 14:57:09 (UTC+2).

TRACKER MAP
Karula_Dec05
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19w3Z_ ... sp=sharing

Karula is still in Tirat Zvi. This is today's track.

© http://www.yorav.co.il/tirat-zvi/tirat-zvi-tmunot.htm

sova wrote: December 5th, 2018, 12:29 pm Good day :hi:
... Yes, the masts are very good to see. If only one were ....
Hello, Sova :hi:
The transmission towers in Maru's area continue roughly here (red line).
— Irene Pepperberg
Michi

Post by Michi »

Anne7 wrote: December 5th, 2018, 12:10 pm I assume that from now on Maru will sleep on one of those pylons every night. A very dangerous habit. :slap
I made a tracker map to see if Maru is OK this morning.
Good evening together, :hi:
thank you for the early tracker map, Anne, and all for your pictures and reports! :2thumbsup:
I'm glad I can take part again. :-)

Marus new sleeping place is really worrying. :shock: She is playing with her life and doesn't know it. I don't want her short life to end like this. :cry: :unsure:

One can see clearly the power pylon respectively its shadow. :-(
Image[

Return to “Migration Maps and News”