Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

Post by ame »

12:32 a little bird with a black cap on the right. a willow tit?
i tried to get a good picture of it but a grey-scale-coloured little bird in grey-scale-coloured landscape: no way. :faint:

anyway, i think it was a willow tit. i made a close-up clip of it.

here's the normal view video:
https://youtu.be/Io-3z5LqsGQ
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks for bringing all photos of this long episode. :loveshower:

Must be the beloved daughter. She was well educated and has respect for her parents.

If it was the Baby - he would come down to chase them away :rotf:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I took some pictures of the willow tit. ame has made a video two posts above. :2thumbsup:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

13:23 A great tit

hanging legs :mrgreen:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Good evening!
I loaded video on YouTube and left to the stomatologist.
So far I spread visits of eagles and I will look whether something else is necessary.
10:13 https://youtu.be/XtdO6VjDx00
10:57 https://youtu.be/YL-LblRd7wU
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 16th, 2019, 12:35 pm 12:32 a little bird with a black cap on the right.
The visit was longer. Or it is different birds?

Your video of a jay is inaccessible at 12:03.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Liz01 wrote: January 16th, 2019, 3:46 pm hanging legs :mrgreen:
:laugh:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:23 am the tail looks unbroken. it must be Robis. they would not tolerate a stranger like this.
Now read a chat. Again at you and Vērotāja opposite opinion. :rolleyes:
She writes that adult birds do not attack young people. Neither on the, nor on strangers.
Somewhere it is possible to learn it authentically?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik wrote: January 17th, 2019, 12:07 am Now read a chat. Again at you and Vērotāja opposite opinion. :rolleyes:
She writes that adult birds do not attack young people. Neither on the, nor on strangers.
:hi: in that early morning :laugh:
That was not an attack! She just scared the eaglet. Juvenile be tolerated, till the breeding season . After that, they are no longer tolerated at the nest area.
We had many juvenile visits here and you could see, that the juveniles are not attacked. They are only chased away.

BTW: We are the ones who observe the nest very close and document it here. No ornithologist has the time to watch eagles and their behavior day after day. They also learn from the cameras.
There are books that describe the behavior of the eagles. In German there is only one good book. Otherwise you can find studies in the internet. Wikipedia is not a good source.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

THURSDAY, JANUARY 17th

Good Morning!

08:15 it's still darkish and very windy :slap:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Good Morning :hi:

the nice snow is almost gone :cry:

Abigyl, Christian Sasse also seems very interested in astronomy. Just like ame :laugh:
His lasted video NEFL Eagle Nest... Lunar Eclipse .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21oSYfDKSo

8:52 It's not a good eagle weather. Rain and storm. :shake:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
terrible wind! :slap:
Sonchik wrote: January 17th, 2019, 12:07 am Now read a chat. Again at you and Vērotāja opposite opinion. :rolleyes:
yes, i suppose it would have been more correct to write "this is not Vilnis because the tail looks unbroken." it is not certain at all that the eaglet was Robis.

Liz had a picture of the eaglet's legs and she wrote that it had no rings. i had to check this once more because i remembered that Latvian eaglets get only one ring on the right leg.
i made two more pictures of the legs. unfortunately the light was not good and the eaglet stayed on the tip of the right branch. that has always been a difficult place to see rings.

i think that there's nothing on the right leg. in both pictures the right leg is on the right and in the background.

adults really seem to let young eagles be in peace. also in the winter feeding ground the young eagles were free to do almost anything. sub-adults had fights with each other. adult eagles behaved very calmly and they were very temperate.

i have a hypothesis of concerning this. i think i have written about this already somewhere. the plumages of eaglets and older eagles is so different that in old times people thought that they belonged to two different species. there must be an important reason why eaglets look so much different than older eagles and adults.

my hypothesis is eagles need to know who is young and who is sub-adult or adult. eaglets of 1 and 2 years are still too young to know how behave decently. older eagles need to know this and let them be in peace. on the other hand older eagles need to know to be careful with the young eagles. eaglets may do silly things and be dangerous to others.

by the way: Liz wrote above about the same thing as Janis (or was it Urmas?) once said. we who watch the nest cameras all the time probably know most of eagles' everyday life. no ornithologist has so much time for watching. 8-)
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Good afternoon!
Liz01 wrote: January 17th, 2019, 7:11 am :hi: in that early morning :laugh:
That was not an attack! She just scared the eaglet. Juvenile be tolerated, till the breeding season . After that, they are no longer tolerated at the nest area.
We had many juvenile visits here and you could see, that the juveniles are not attacked. They are only chased away.

BTW: We are the ones who observe the nest very close and document it here. No ornithologist has the time to watch eagles and their behavior day after day. They also learn from the cameras.
There are books that describe the behavior of the eagles. In German there is only one good book. Otherwise you can find studies in the internet. Wikipedia is not a good source.
It agrees, we did not see attacks on eaglets yet. Sometimes our eagles long suffer presence of eaglets before banishing them.
With all other words it agrees too. Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 17th, 2019, 11:00 am i have a hypothesis of concerning this. i think i have written about this already somewhere.
We brought up this subject here. :nod:
Thanks for reasonings.
the plumages of eaglets and older eagles is so different that in old times people thought that they belonged to two different species.
It is an interesting detail. Quite logically.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik,
We had a nice camera here. Unfortunately, it does not work anymore. The Gray Seal webcam.
It was very nice to observe the behavior of young and adult eagles. For me, it seemed that the juveniles begged to every adult for food, whether it was a parent or not. :mrgreen: I miss this camera very much! There were endless eagles to see. I also miss the singing of the seals :innocent:
viewforum.php?f=19
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Liz01 wrote: January 17th, 2019, 12:22 pm Sonchik,
We had a nice camera here. Unfortunately, it does not work anymore. The Gray Seal webcam.
It was very nice to observe the behavior of young and adult eagles. For me, it seemed that the juveniles begged to every adult for food, whether it was a parent or not. :mrgreen: I miss this camera very much! There were endless eagles to see. I also miss the singing of the seals :innocent:
viewforum.php?f=19
Surprisingly! I several times looked in this camera, but saw only seals. Most often the coast was empty.
Even did not know that there such active life.
ame

Post by ame »

the seal island was another eagle school like Skrunda fish ponds. :laugh:
and probably still is such a school although we can't see it.

it seems to be raining but there is still a small piece of icy snow left in the deepest nest bowl.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik wrote: January 17th, 2019, 12:55 pm Surprisingly! I several times looked in this camera, but saw only seals. Most often the coast was empty.
Even did not know that there such active life.
In January, when the puppies are born, there is plenty of food for eagles, ravens and seagulls. The afterbirth and dead puppies are very welcome in winter.
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:43 am ...
Abigyl, Christian Sasse also seems very interested in astronomy. Just like ame :laugh:
His lasted video NEFL Eagle Nest... Lunar Eclipse .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n21oSYfDKSo
i made a skymap for the time of the eclipse maximum. unfortunately the Moon will be "behind our backs" during the eclipse. i have marked here with green lines the approximate angle of our view. we can see (if the sky is clear) the Venus as a "morning star". the other planet next to Venus is Jupiter which is dimmer and i don't think we can see it with the camera. with naked eye in nature it may be possible.

below is the time table of the eclipse seen from Riga. the start time is when the Moon begins to hide in the shadow of the Earth. at the end time the Moon will be fully visible again. the full phase is 6:41 - 7:43 in Finland. i suppose it will be about the same in Latvia.

in the webpage of the Finnish astronomical society Ursa you can see a picture of the phases of the eclipse.
https://www.ursa.fi/blogi/zeniitti/wp-c ... 68x583.png
here's the page address:
https://www.ursa.fi/blogi/zeniitti/2018 ... 21-1-2019/

the full eclipse in last summer happened behind clouds and this eclipse will be behind our backs. :faint:
ame

Post by ame »

i made a new skymap to show approximately the part of sky which we can see. i have used pictures of the Moon in three different positions in the sky: near the left and near the right edge of the picture, and in the centre of the picture. then i looked up the coordinates of the Moon (azimuths) in the sky at those moments from the Fourmilab-site. i used these coordinates and the Moon's distances from the edges of the camera pictures to calculate the celectial coordinates (azimuths) of both edges of the picture and the width of the camera's viewing angle.

this is a combination of all these pictures. in the middle panel (where sky is dark blue) the Moon is almost exactly in the East.

it turned out that South is almost exactly on the right edge of the camera picture. the left edge is 14 degrees to the North of East, i.e. east is nearly on the left edge of the picture. the viewing angle of the camera given by the manufacturer is 107 degrees. my result was 107.9 degrees +/- 1 degree which is in very nice agreement with the camera specifications.

this map is the sky on 15 June 2017 at 2:00 local time (14 June 2017 at 23:00 UTC). it is the moment when the Moon was almost in the centre of the camera view and almost on the top edge (the lowest panel in the first picture). i have drawn green lines showing the viewing angle opening. however, we can't see the whole sector limited by the green lines. we can only see a narrow stripe of sky above the horizon. the thin pale pink line shows approximately the top of our camera view.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”