Golden Eagle Webcam Forum 2019

A webcam on a Golden Eagle Nest in Soomaa region
Forum rules
Welcome to this new webcam on a Golden Eagle nest in Soomaa.

We want to be as relaxed as possible, and help members to enjoy this forum. While having regard to the forum wide rules about picture size (800x600)and number of pics/videos per post(3) please post as much as you want. Try to banish the "double post" restriction. If you have prepared pictures, videos and text, please, please, post it. Your post is really wanted here. Please do not delete or withold your post just because another member has posted something similar before you. This forum is no place for a competiton about who posts first. All members are equal.

On other forums within Looduskalender, where there is one specified moderator, please respect the rules posted by that moderator as before.
This Golden Eagle forum will not have only one Moderator - as a team, we shall all do what is needed. There will not be separate Obsevation/Discussion topics.
Liz01

Re: Golden Eagle Webcam Forum 2019

Post by Liz01 »

10:24 Adult flew away- two minutes later he/she flew around (BTW The adult has brought a branch 10:24 AM but he brought it under the nest!!!)

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

10:38 the Juvie is doing nest work and flew away

the adult comes into the nest

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

10:39 Are they Friends?

Hopefully Milda will not lay her egg just now :bow:
Triin

Post by Triin »

Timea wrote: March 7th, 2019, 10:54 am 10.50:

Urmas will definitely know from which nest this one is
Zoomed
M1103 + E253 - Ringed on 13. June 2014 as a nestling by Joosep Tuvi (he works mostly with ospreys in Kotkaklubi) in Tartu county. E253 hasn't been seen before.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

10:42 The Juvie flew away
10:43 Adult left the nest tree and flew in an arc back to the nest

10:44 Adult lands into the nest with a green twig.
EDIT: The branch may have just broken off when it landed

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

10:47 Adult WTE is doing nest work and flew away 10:56

it seems he/she sees something interesting

All videos are done now :bow: I'm going back to R & M :laugh:
It was a lot of work.But no one is interested. :shake:
ame

Post by ame »

thank you for the information Triin!
is there any information about the sex of this bird?
Liz01 wrote: March 7th, 2019, 11:53 am 10:39 Are they Friends?
[img https://up.picr.de/35224768vx.jpg /img]

comparison of their beaks suggests that the juvenile is a girl and the ringed eagle is a male.
but she is far too young to start dating. she is only a baby. :slap: :laugh:
she is perhaps in the 3rd calendar year, hatched in 2017. :help:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
about pictures:
we had yesterday a short discussion about the preferable picture format:
viewtopic.php?p=635315#p635315
if you haven't posted many pictures yet then it's maybe worth while to have a look there.
we also have a lot of information on this subject here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

the time stamp can be included in a cropped picture if it is first copied and then pasted in the area of the cropped picture. the time stamp is utmost important so it is strongly recommended to keep it in the picture.
Triin

Post by Triin »

ame wrote: March 7th, 2019, 12:31 pm thank you for the information Triin!
is there any information about the sex of this bird?
The sex of the ringed bird is unknown
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
:loveshower:
Eagle without rings - she has very dark eyes. she is young but still ..
is she a relative of Suvi :mrgreen:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: March 7th, 2019, 12:31 pm ...........
the time stamp can be included in a cropped picture if it is first copied and then pasted in the area of the cropped picture. the time stamp is utmost important so it is strongly recommended to keep it in the picture.
I will change the pictures. The picture size is in the size as it is allowed. It's less than 800 x600px
Timea

Post by Timea »

ame wrote: March 7th, 2019, 11:21 am what a great observation! :headroll:

it will be interesting to see the video. i think that the unringed was probably a female. when they stood side by side at about the same distance from the camera the unringed looked bigger. "unfortunately" the rings cover the ankles of the other. :whistling:
i'm waiting eagerly the reply from the ringing office. :D

it would be great to get pictures of their profiles. then their beaks could be compared.
Hi Ame, this is the best I could do so far, maybe you can use it anyway.

Adult, ringed one

Young, not ringed one
Polly

Post by Polly »

That girl made me think of Sulvi, too.
Altogether the couple reminds me of Suvi and Sulev. And the young Wte, who visited Milda and Raimis last year, also had those pretty dark button eyes.

I've read something across about Anna and Uku...if the girl might be a chick of the two. After 2016 they seem to have hatched again in the self-built nest and the offspring should be untouched.
But I am still a little confused with the locating of all nests (also Ospreys). I still have to sort it out a bit for myself. 8-)

I am completely delighted by our visit!
Even if the two Wte have only made an occasional visit ....it is great to be allowed to see them! :loveshower:

Liz, thank you for the great work!!!!
Today is your stress day. :mrgreen:

Timea, pazi and Triin, thank you too!
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Polly wrote: March 7th, 2019, 1:38 pm ..........Even if the two Wte have only made an occasional visit ....it is great to be allowed to see them! :loveshower:

Liz, thank you for the great work!!!!
Today is your stress day. :mrgreen:

Timea, pazi and Triin, thank you too!
Polly you're welcome. :laugh:
The ringed eagle has brought a twig. He lands under the nest on the right with it. He was working there for a while.
Maybe he will come back? :puzzled:

I wanted to do a nice bike tour today because the weather is great. Now it is too late...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

That's great! the whole visit by Urmas! It includes the arrival of the eaglet

thank you! :2thumbsup: :laugh:

ame

Post by ame »

aita wrote: March 7th, 2019, 12:53 pm :hi:
:loveshower:
Eagle without rings - she has very dark eyes. she is young but still ..
is she a relative of Suvi :mrgreen:
she is very young, almost a baby. that's why her eyes are still dark. she was born last summer or the summer before that. :laugh:
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

:hi: please forgive my 'eagle ignorance' :mrgreen: but - does anyone know if the eagles' behaviour is certainly that of a mating pair? or are there any other kinds of relationships known to exist that could explain their behaviour?

edit: i remember that on the Latvian nest there were many 'courting' pairs - could these be similar to that? or are there also other relationships eagles can have?

2nd edit: it's just that the juvenile eagle reminds me of Durberta or any, really, of the 'teenager' eagles who outgrow their parents and yet have not fledged - they are a bit scary! and the parent has to chuck the fish into the nest and fly off quickly, else they get pecked - here the juvenile was 'pecky' and the adult had to duck, avoid...
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good thoughts laranjeiras. :)
Are you considering that it could be father and his own young bird? But do WTE fly as a couple or as a community? Rather rare, isn't it?
I can rather imagine that the girl will be courted.
Do we know how old Suvi is? Surely 2018 was her first breeding season.

Ame, she (Suvi) also has these beautiful dark eyes. Does the eye color indicate the age? I didn't know that. I thought it was a beautiful mood of nature. :unsure:
Suvi, in any case, was ready for the mating.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Has Gunnar discovered any other Golden Eagle nests?
Last year around this time the couple was very active and actually everything looked like a successful season. For me they were too busy with this nest to prefer another nest for breeding elsewhere.
Unfortunately they suddenly stayed away.

Were they disturbed?
Indian proverb
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

Polly wrote: March 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm Are you considering that it could be father and his own young bird? But do WTE fly as a couple or as a community?
:hi: thanks for your thoughts, Polly :thumbs: it seems unlikely to be parent/chick - as far as I can see (eg. when an established eagle couple return to their nest to breed, they chase off any visiting eagles, even if one of these might be their offspring). But - i wonder about 'observation effect/confirmation bias' within the science about eagles - ie. the paradigm of reproduction is very dominant and perhaps obscures other kinds of relationships from view.... I really don't know a thing about all this! One thought that came up was that this was a 'chance' meeting, to quickly dissolve (ie. not courtship); but your idea of father/offspring is interesting - might a 'single' adult eagle 'hang out' with a juvenile in a kind of parental role?
Triin

Post by Triin »

Polly wrote: March 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm Has Gunnar discovered any other Golden Eagle nests?
Last year around this time the couple was very active and actually everything looked like a successful season. For me they were too busy with this nest to prefer another nest for breeding elsewhere.
Unfortunately they suddenly stayed away.

Were they disturbed?
Only one known GE nest on this territory.

This area is quite far from the sea or any other big waterbody. We suspected that there are WTE nesting in the region, but it was only confirmed in 2018, when I found a nest in the region. The nest I found, was successful last year, but the pair we saw in the camera today has to be a different one. The distance is too great.

Return to “Golden Eagle Webcam Forum”