Golden Eagle Webcam Forum 2019

A webcam on a Golden Eagle Nest in Soomaa region
Forum rules
Welcome to this new webcam on a Golden Eagle nest in Soomaa.

We want to be as relaxed as possible, and help members to enjoy this forum. While having regard to the forum wide rules about picture size (800x600)and number of pics/videos per post(3) please post as much as you want. Try to banish the "double post" restriction. If you have prepared pictures, videos and text, please, please, post it. Your post is really wanted here. Please do not delete or withold your post just because another member has posted something similar before you. This forum is no place for a competiton about who posts first. All members are equal.

On other forums within Looduskalender, where there is one specified moderator, please respect the rules posted by that moderator as before.
This Golden Eagle forum will not have only one Moderator - as a team, we shall all do what is needed. There will not be separate Obsevation/Discussion topics.
Polly

Re: Golden Eagle Webcam Forum 2019

Post by Polly »

This area is quite far from the sea or any other big waterbody.
But neither the golden eagle nor Wte necessarily need big waters, do they?
Probably WTE more, since they feed mainly on smaller water birds?

Please correct me.

That could mean that both could establish themselves?
And even more so the golden eagles.
It is a pity that they are gone. But I am happy about every preservation of a species except mosquitoes 8-) and when we witness that Wte also use other nests - gladly!

Let's wait and see what else happens. :nod:

Thank you Triin. =)
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
aita

Post by aita »

aita wrote: March 7th, 2019, 12:53 pm :hi
:loveshower
Eagle without rings - she has very dark eyes. she is young but still ..
is she a relative of Suvi :mrgreen
ame wrote: March 7th, 2019, 3:24 pm she is very young, almost a baby. that's why her eyes are still dark. she was born last summer or the summer before that. :laugh
The baby-eagle does not have such a beak.

Today's guest (without rings) is teenager (the 3rd winter WtE. If only the beak look - then the 4th winter WtE)
E253 is 5th winter WtE.

Picture collection White tailed Eagles of different ages
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=269
2nd winter WtE B483 and B279. They have brighter eyes than today's guest.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Polly wrote: March 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm But neither the golden eagle nor Wte necessarily need big waters, do they?
Probably WTE more, since they feed mainly on smaller water birds?

Please correct me.
GE are in the bogs and don't need sea or other waterbodies, but we have only a handful of WTE territories further than 20 km from the sea or big lakes in Estonia. This region would be considered inland for us. Fish is also very important foodsource for WTE.
pazi

Post by pazi »

Triin wrote: March 7th, 2019, 9:36 pm we have only a handful of WTE territories further than 20 km from the sea or big lakes in Estonia. This region would be considered inland for us.
This happened a year ago in Kangasala, Finland:

The place is here, about 140 km from the sea.
I guess the big lakes lure the WTE inland. And also it is a sign the species has become very viable, after being almost extinct in Finland in the '70s.

edit: Here's a story about the incident in a local newspaper. Sorry, in Finnish only. But there's a video too.
ame

Post by ame »

i don't believe these two WTEs can be an established couple, yet. the ringed eagle (who is a male i think) is a 5th winter bird like aita wrote. one can see rather a lot of black in his tail. i don't believe that he is mature yet.

i think that they clearly were of opposite sexes. the unringed eagle had huge lumps in her ankles and it was bigger altogether that the ringed eagle. i think it's fairly certain that the unringed eagle was a female and the ringed was mae. i believe is probably a 3rd winter bird and clearly "a baby" in what comes to breeding. her quite dark eyes are a sing of young age, and so is the dark overall plumage together with a very dark tail. the beak, however, has turned almost light already.

i have also found it very interesting question to me is how the eagles can see each other over large distances. more intriguing is how the apparently also discern the sex of the other eagle. :laugh:
these two didn't for example talk to each other at all. we would almost certainly know their sexes if we had heard their voices. :laugh:

the different aspects in the appearance mature in different pace in different individuals. the same applies to actual breeding matureness. i have heard from an ornithologist that the youngest eagle who bred successfully for the first time was 4 years old and the oldest first-timer was 14 years old.

i think their behaviour was not a parent-eaglet behaviour and it was not mature courting behaviour either. however, the girl was clearly very interested in the male. she tried to pull his feathers and tried to get close to him. the male on his part was submissive and reserved when the girl came close to him. in time they may become a couple if they will not loose track of each other. on the other hand they may well already be flying apart and never meet again... who knows. :laugh:
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

thanks very much, ame, for your thoughts on this matter - you've addressed all my queries, that's for sure :2thumbsup:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Absolutely. =)
I will have a look at the video material again and with ame's beautiful explanation I will have learned a lot.

I thank everyone for the patience to answer even seemingly naive questions or thoughts. So we always learn something new, which fascinates but still ignorantly observes our nests.

Thank you! :2thumbsup:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Jim Hammond

Post by Jim Hammond »

Our golden eagle nest on Whychus Creek in Sisters, Oregon, USA is active again this year. Our parents, Petra and Rocky are currently incubating (probably) two eggs. Our camera is 1200 ft (~400 m) from the nest across a deep canyon. Our distance and bandwidth limitations limit the resolution of the camera. The video can be viewed here: www.goldeneaglecam.org Comments can be made and viewed by clicking on the blue "comments" links. Please comment if you are able to view the image and the eagles. Thank you Jim Hammond
sigge

Post by sigge »

03-12

18:56 two short owl calls, ho-ho, sounding mostly like Long-eard Owl but probably Ural Owl :rolleyes:
No sign of activety in the nest..
yorky

Post by yorky »

such a shame as the camera is so clear & no eagles this year again :cry:
sigge

Post by sigge »

Yeah sad :-(
Many adults gets killed each year by electrocution, pochers and train collisions
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

This cam we removed for to install it in some other place, other species.
Gunnar found also new nest. There was adult incubating, so observed only from distance. It is about 1km away.
yorky

Post by yorky »

thank you for the update Urmas.
sigge

Post by sigge »

Thanks for the good news Urmas :D
satakuntaosprey

Post by satakuntaosprey »

Sorry about the offtopic, but have you found the Golden Eagle camera in Finland? https://bit.ly/goldeneagle2019

More info:
https://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtop ... 80#p674040
Satakunta Season 2020 - 7 cameras, double views for Nest #1/#3
https://saaksilive.fi/live/kaikkikamerat

IG: https://instagram.com/saaksilive
FB: http://facebook.com/satakunnansaakset
yitmoth

Post by yitmoth »

I've been watching that cam for 2-3 weeks now, it's great! But I've also wondered why there's no audio - did something get broken?
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

I found the camera a few days ago, and I also wondered why no audio.

I wish that I had known sooner.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Golden Eagle Webcam 2020 here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvBXT ... Saqd19N0Sg
This is a different pair than last two seasons (more information soon).
yorky

Post by yorky »

wonderful, thanks for the link Triin :thumbs:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Triin, thank you so much!
This will be wonderful to follow the Golden Eagles Nest. Wishing much success!
:D

Return to “Golden Eagle Webcam Forum”