Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

no fish
no feeding

balistar

Post by balistar »

Sappheira wrote: June 6th, 2019, 8:59 pm no fish
no feeding

that's not good. The chick on the right was begging so much.
Ivo hopefully brings back the fish soon.
Silke

Post by Silke »

20:48 - 20:52

The chicks are allone in the nest. An osprey in the dead tree and someone one the camstand.
Its Ivo, who came down to his kids Image

Silke

Post by Silke »

20:52-20:55
The osprey from the dead tree flies arund the nest and land at last: Image -Iiris with a fish
Image Both parents walk a little bit around. The chicks are bedding for fish. Ivo takes the fish Image and flies away.
Silke

Post by Silke »

20:55
... and leaves Iiris and the chicks behind without dinner ... Image
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

We are waiting for the third chick. But to be honest: If I remeber right, I didn't see a picture until now that looked as if there is clearly already a hole in the egg. Are you sure? :unsure:
mogga

Post by mogga »

Sappheira wrote: June 6th, 2019, 3:23 pm 15:21

Sappheira wrote: June 6th, 2019, 3:24 pm look, please, who has good eyes - is the beak in the hole moving or not?
I watched that scene again. There was falling a piece of fish / fish skin from Iiris' beak onto the egg. That is no hole with a chick beak.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Just a tought of mine, why Iiris flew off with the fish to eat on the dead tree:

Iiris must have been very very hungry, too. Ivo hasn't spoiled them much the last days. She must take care of herself and since the chicks are born she depends on Ivo. But she couldn't eat as much as she needs for herself, if he always takes remaining fish away. So this time it was maybe necessary for her to eat first.

But why she didn't immediately feed the chicks when she was bringing back the half eaten fish, i don't understand. Ivo maybe thought, if she doesn't feed he'll take the fish away ???

They are just not (yet) a well-rehearsed team like Ivo was with Irma.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

21:31
I’m confused, it’s not important, but was it, Ivo or Iiris, that fished for the fish, that Ivo is eating, in the dead tree.
The chicks should get a few bites, before bed.

I don’t like that the chicks, are not getting a noontime fish. Is it because it’s very warm, in Tartu, lately? The fish go deeper in the water when it’s warm. I don’t know this, but I have been told.

:wave: Sappheira, mogga, Summi, Balistar, and everyone, for the great posts today.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Balistar, I just saw your post, above mine.
I, too, question why did Iiris, not feed the chicks, first. :puzzled:

The good thing is that, Ivo, is getting more nest time with his chicks, and Iiris.
I like that!
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

Please don't think it was completely different with Irma and Ivo.

Go back to 2018. Read how it was then. On June 4th the first chick (Jaak) hatched, on June 6th the second (Heli).

On June 4th there were two times some pieces of fish for the first chick, at 11:40 and 15:34.

On the 5th and 6th of June there was a little more fish. Yes, more than now here, that's right. But also there Ivo constantly took the remaining fish away from the nest.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

True, mogga, Ivo, would take the remaining fish, from Irma. Sometimes, she would tell Ivo, to please bring it back. :)
mogga

Post by mogga »

Cessie wrote: June 6th, 2019, 9:53 pm True, mogga, Ivo, would take the remaining fish, from Irma. Sometimes, she would tell Ivo, to please bring it back. :)
That is the main difference between Iiris and Irma. Irma told Ivo (and the whole forest) to bring back the fish immediately! :mrgreen:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Too bad the kids didn't get any morsels from the 20:38 fish for the night.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Maybe Iiris learns also to ask for bringing fish back as she today already learned to demand for fish louder and insistently.
Let's hope and see what tomorrow will bring.

EDIT:
21:12 Ivo was on the dead tree, eating, most likely the remained fish.
Iiris did not even ask for the fish, although both chicks 15 min before were still begging a lot.
21:15 Ivo finished the fish, cleaned his beak and flew away.

20:57

20:58

21:13 Ivo eating on the dead tree
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

What we also have to keep in mind is the change of the digestive system (Bea talked about it).

What is important is not whether there is fish, but whether the chicks want it. There were several situations in 2018 when Irma offered the chicks fish in the first days (sometimes several hours after the last time) and they were not interested at all.

Our worries when we see the "poor" chicks may not have much to do with the situation in the nest. This is always possible.
balistar

Post by balistar »

June 7

Good morning everybody :hi:

Iiris did not get much sleep during the night. Very often she was awake, moving her head and every now and then her body.

03:52 early at dawn Iiris got up and one chick lifted its head

03:52/53 chick quickly back to sleep - i heard a "chuck-chuck-chuck-chuck" .....

04:10 chicks awake and beak to beak saying good morning
on the egg i see no pip, no hole, no crack, nothing (on this view of the bottom)
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: good morning, Balistar.
4:59.
I have been watching the cam and I see a big black spot, with a whitish spot, in the middle of black spot, which could be a hole in the egg. At the end of the small (top) of egg. I think that maybe the white spot, is the egg tooth, but I cannot see movement.
I also hear the, chup, chup, chup.
I won’t be surprised if it hatches soon.
And I won’t be surprised if I’m just seeing a dark spot, that isn’t anything. :innocent:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

5:14 it appears that the chick has cracked the eggshell in half and is on its way out!

Please move, Iiris, yes. :bounce:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”