American Bald Eagles.

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Abigyl

Re: American Bald Eagles.

Post by Abigyl »

JUNE 4th

DECORAH :slap:

Tuesday, during the day I saw D32 branching, he was very fast and courageous, climbed to very high branches and walked up on the trunk.
Hours past and he was even coming down jumping and flying. It was really amazing progress in half a day.

Later he fell down.
They tried to look for him down in the grass. No luck yet.

Hope for the best.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

JUNE 5th

DECORAH :slap:

Unbelievable !!!

Second eaglet decided to branch, climbed very high and stayed there very long.

Few minutes ago he tried to go down or exercised wing and.... followed his big brother :help:

Let's hope that both are in good condition and will come back in few days :thumbs: :thumbs:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Some good news from the RAPTORS site :
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500

Update on Decorah Eagles D32 & D33

It's been a pretty frantic 24 hours anxiously awaiting news in the search for D32 who flew off the Skywalk branch about 6:03PM CT last evening, and even more stressful when sibling D33 fell off the Skywalk in nearly the same place about 2:39PM CT this afternoon.

The search team headed out early this morning led by RRP Board Director and eagle biologist Brett Mandernack and wildlife assistant Ryan Schmitz. Both quickly got to work and searched a boxed area from the bridge to about 0.5 miles upstream past the nest and were unable to locate D32 or even get a vocalization. They also watched Both Mom and DM2 carefully, looking for clues in flight paths hoping one of the parents would lead them to a spot where they might have been caring for D32. There was no luck on locating the eaglet, but RRP is putting plans in place to continue on with a search again tomorrow and will monitor the parents travels more closely.

D33 had been exploring the Skywalk branch since yesterday, not branching yet, but carefully and skillfully had walked up to perch and look about, and ventured a bit further with each exploration and both DM2 and Mom kept the eaglet company perched nearby or in the nest. This afternoon D33 climbed up to about the same spot as D32 had when she/he lost its footing and fell. Within about 15 minutes RRP was notified by Iowa DNR that D33 was located, retrieved, and was taken to the Decorah Fish Hatchery for a visual inspection. It was determined that she/he was a bit underweight, but no other obvious injuries were noted. It was decided to transport the eaglet to S.O.A.R. (Saving Our Avian Resources) where D33 would be under skilled veterinary and rehab care to be evaluated and stabilized. We will have no further information about D33's condition until such time that the veterinary exam is completed, and RRP will provide that information as soon as it is known.

We very much appreciate the many caring comments we have received on our Facebook page and will continue to update you on both D32 and D33 as soon as we know anything. For some of you, the wait has been excruciating (and for us too), but we respect that our incredible search team has put all its efforts into the painstaking process of gently moving in slow cautious steps in the dense and tall underbrush rather than stop every so often for a progress report … which had pretty much been no sighting all day.

We know that the gnats and black flies are worrisome to everyone and we cannot begin to answer if that may have been the impetus to any fledge, flight, or fall, and we ask you to please wait until we have more information after D33's evaluation ... otherwise, we would only be speculating … something that we don't like to do as a research site.

Lastly, we would like to thank you for your patience as we troubleshoot and try to stabilize our website and chat spaces. It is a priority for us to have those up and working as soon as possible, and we greatly appreciate your understanding and support. While we wait to resolve both eagle and technology issues we ask you to continue to be patient with each other, with us, and let's please all keep talons crossed for our beloved Decorah Eagle family and successful outcomes.

Photo of D33 watching DM2 coming in with a fish.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you for your update, Abigyl!
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
balistar

Post by balistar »

Yes, Abigyl, thanks for the reports and update on Decorah's.

Unfortunately it's not only the Decorah's eaglets D32 and D33, who fell.

Also at DECORAH NORTH the eaglet DN 9 fell :slap:

Meanwhile it's been already found by cam in the pasture but not yet taken.
Walking / hopping around, flapping its wings and saying hello to the cows.
Parents are watching over and will feed DN9. :faint:

update from RRP:

Update: Decorah North Nest Eaglet DN9

"Many of you saw DN9 take a tumble from the Babysitting Branch about 8:15 AM CT this morning. DN9 was perched and scratching his/her face, looked around and seemed to have lost footing and balance. The buffalo gnats / black flies have also been an issue at this nest, and while DN9 and the parents have appeared to be coping with the infestation we are very aware the extremely wet spring has made it a bad season for bug infestations. We have used both the nest cam and pasture cam for better looks for DN9, with both online live, and offline monitoring. A parent was seen in the pasture earlier, and also visiting the nest with a fish, and both perched across the stream in a favorite tree. We are certain that the parents know where DN9 is and optimistic that will help point us in the right direction to locate the eaglet.
Our volunteer camera operators are exceptional and we know they have “eagle eyes” to thoroughly do a visual search for any sign of DN9."

"This has been a really tough couple of days at the hatchery nest for Decorah Eaglets D32 & D33, and now today with DN9 at the North Nest. Please know that RRP is doing all we can at the moment to coordinate efforts to find DN9 as well as the search effort again today for D32 at the hatchery nest, and we will continue to keep you posted as the events unfold. We're extremely shorthanded and while we appreciate your comments, we might not be able to answer every question or answer as promptly as we normally would like. Our priority now is focused on finding our raptors. We thank you for your patience and ask that you try to remain positive and kind with each other."

If you like to watch, here are two videos by Life Media:

1) Decorah Eagles North- DN9 Falls Off Side Of Branch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TcHK1jTTpE

2) Decorah Eagles North- DN9 Is In The Cow Pasture 06.06.2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKCcZjrKIs

EDIT: oh my.... :shock: i just saw on stream a cow coming very close to DN9, who went in defending posture, that was scary.
i hope everything will turn out fine.

balistar

Post by balistar »

look at DN 9 in pasture and cows are passing by :slap:

poor DN9, those terrible gnats are bothering so badly, s/he shakes the head all the time.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Puuuh, again a curious cow comes closer and when DN9 spreads the
wide wings in defending posture, the cow did a few steps backwards, nodding with the head.
Good job, DN9 :thumbs: :laugh:

but then came closer again, wanted to touch DN9 with her nose.... DN9 defended again

the cow stepped backwards while DN9 was running away in the opposite direction,
hiding in a ground valley :mrgreen:
Taube

Post by Taube »

good morning everyone :hi:

Yesterday I followed everything and I hope everything will be fine :slap:
Rita

Post by Rita »

Big Bear - 7th June, 2019 - cam time 22:20:

The first time that I have seen Simba sleeping adult style. The remains of Cookie are still on the nest. What a pong
that must be. :puzzled: Can one derive therefrom that eagles do not have a sense of smell? :mrgreen:

:hi: Chimega, thanks for your videos.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

JUNE 9th

Good Morning !

Yes, I followed all 3 of them. It made me very sad for Mom Decorah with another hard season. :cry:

I was very glad to hear yesterday, that D32 was found and now all 3 eaglets were found and are getting medical treatment for some problems of : underweight, hypothermia and... anemia because of many black fly bites.

When the 2 Decorah fell down. they couldn't hold their heads. It was awful ! They were in clouds of flies, they were shaking their heads all the time because of those big flies. It was hard to watch!

Is there something to do against the flies ?? :puzzled:

Will it be possible to bring all 3 back to their nests or they'll be free only after they can fly and go back to nature?

I wish them the best recovery and happy life! :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: June 9th, 2019, 10:06 am .........I was very glad to hear yesterday, that D32 was found and now all 3 eaglets were found and are getting medical treatment for some problems of : underweight, hypothermia and... anemia because of many black fly bites.
Abigyl, thanks a lot for update. Good to know, that all are safe.

The eaglets are in safety. The parents miss their eaglets.. It's good that they can help. Probably the eaglets could not have done it without help?
I always have a bad feeling when chicks are taken away.
But it may be better for the chicks? For the moment. Do they learn in captivity, how to hunt? They learn from their parents for a very long time. So I do not know if they will be healed, to die later because they have not learned to hunt, ect...
Taube

Post by Taube »

Thank you for the information
I wish you all the best and hope you will enjoy a nice life, good luck :loveshower:
balistar

Post by balistar »

DECORAH NORTH

recovering DN9 from the pasture by David Kester of the Raptor Resource Project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEoqMbRO6Qw

DN9 was very skinny, probably anemic & covered with gnats and black flies.
The invasion of gnats and black flies at this time each year are a big problem at this nest and caused the death of the two chicks last year at very young age.

I hope for DN9 and also for D32 and D33 a good recovery and the best outcome.
Solo

Post by Solo »

BIG BEAR
Big Bear Baby Eagle Death Sad But Not Surprising, Expert Says
https://www.kcet.org/shows/earth-focus/ ... 2omEXky8I8
Rita

Post by Rita »

Solo, I nearly had a fit just now: I thought your quoted article refers to Simba. Luckily he is still
alive and kicking.
Big Bear Nest -
11th June, 2019 - 9:08 hrs.:

Solo

Post by Solo »

Rita wrote: June 11th, 2019, 7:07 pmSolo, I nearly had a fit just now: I thought your quoted article refers to Simba. ...
tittle is ".. Baby Eagle Death ...", but it is about the nest: actually and also little history
Rita

Post by Rita »

:wave:Solo: Thank you, after opening the link I found this additional information. Much appreciated. :nod:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Rita wrote: June 11th, 2019, 9:50 pm:wave:Solo: Thank you, after opening the link I found this additional information. Much appreciated. :nod:
Rita, you're welcome :wave:
balistar

Post by balistar »

DN 9
with numerous bites of black flies in neck, throat, nostrils, eyes.
Horrible, those black flies.

picture is made by SOAR (Save Our American Raptors organisation),
taken from this video by Glen Loyd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0C1B6jlBA

All 3 Decorah eaglets are at SOAR to be treated.
I hope they can be cured and returned to their parents soon.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Beside all the sad, here also something amazingly beautiful:

West End Catalina Eagles, 06-10-2019

Woohoo - have you ever seen an eaglet hover carrying a fish in its talons ?
This eaglet girl is so happy and proud. And the look of the other two sisters...priceless,
as if they would say "don't fly away with that fish" :laugh:

picture taken from the video by Lady Hawk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZRhc8Prlcg

Thanks Lady Hawk, capturing this awesome moment :2thumbsup:

Return to “Eagles”