Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Michi

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Post by Michi »

14:37 Feeding by Kati.

Again I couldn't see what she has brought.

Where is Karl II? I haven't seen him today. Think, the earlier feeding at 12:36 was also by Kati. :unsure:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Michi wrote: June 20th, 2019, 2:44 pm Again I couldn't see what she has brought.
Michi :hi: fish :D
14:38:01

hungarian storklets are dead

EDIT: Michi, first feeding was by Karl II
pazi

Post by pazi »

We very nearly lost another storklet at 9:49:15 as she stumbled on the edge of the nest shortly after yet another goshawk attack.

The goshawk was getting bolder and bolder with its attacks, but the youngsters stood their ground admirably.

Solo wrote: June 20th, 2019, 1:10 pm in HU is documented also attack by WTE (video https://youtu.be/Ajhy9qZV1rw - be very carefully )
The WTE is br00tal. I doesn't even bother to carry the catch away.
Michi

Post by Michi »

pazi wrote: June 20th, 2019, 2:48 pm We very nearly lost another storklet at 9:49:15 as she stumbled on the edge of the nest shortly after yet another goshawk attack.
OMG! What luck that this hasn't end bad. Thank you for the pictures, pazi! The second pic is ... :shock: :faint:

Only now I'd dared to watch the videos. It was very hard to see the attacks. :shock:
Incredibly how the storklets had growled and defend themselves. :bow: They have been so exceedingly brave.
Thank god at the later attacks they could defend themselves successful.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

14:38 Feeding by Kati

12:33 Feeding by Karl soon
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Liz01 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 1:38 pm I think that's the link:
https://storkibisspoonbill.org/wp-conte ... tracts.pdf
Yes, it is these pdf :thumbs: I've read it very fast
Yes, the source of my quotes is this pdf. I downloaded it on my computer quite a while ago.

VII International Conference on Black Stork Ciconia nigra: programme and abstracts
That conference took place in Doñana National Park, Spain, on 28th-30th November 2018

I don't know if the integral texts of these academic papers are available on the internet.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Anne7 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:11 pm Yes, the source of my quotes is this pdf that I downloaded on my computer quite a while ago.
Anne, thanks for the confirmation :2thumbsup:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 2:47 pm hungarian storklets are dead
No, no, no! :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:
How appalling!
I haven't dared to watch the forum since weeks. I'd feared that but at the same time couldn't imagine that this would really happen. :'-(
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

Anne7 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:11 pm I don't know if the integral texts of these academic papers are available on the internet.
there are many academic papers available here: https://sci-hub.se/
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 2:47 pm EDIT: Michi, first feeding was by Karl II
Thank you, Liz. I hope it was him. In the last time I've difficulties to distinguish one from the other. Could it be that the area around Karl II's eyes has changed a bit? :puzzled:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

laranjeiras wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:24 pm there are many academic papers available here: https://sci-hub.se/
Thank you, laranjeiras. :hi:
I will surely take a look at it. :thumbs:

When I see the two remaining storklets on the nest, I feel like crying. I do my utmost to stay rational, but it is so sad to lose another black stork. It has been a hard year for the Estonian Black stork nest: we lost Päike, Maru, Karl, the youngest chick and now this poor storklet ...
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Michi wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm ... In the last time I've difficulties to distinguish one from the other. Could it be that the area around Karl II's eyes has changed a bit? :puzzled:
Michi :hi:
I noticed the same. :nod:
Our Karl II currently looks a bit less glamorous than in his bachelor time. It is tiring and hard work to raise young.
Maybe he has lost some feathers around his eyes. :puzzled:

Recognizing the eye contour often also depends on the light conditions.
— Irene Pepperberg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

15:53 Karl comes home :laugh:
Michi

Post by Michi »

15:53 Feeding by Karl II.

15:53

Now I've recognized him, Liz. :)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Michi wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm Thank you, Liz. I hope it was him. In the last time I've difficulties to distinguish one from the other. Could it be that the area around Karl II's eyes has changed a bit? :puzzled:
Michi, Karls eye- feeding 12:37 For me it looks the same a before. :puzzled:
He just looks a little strained. Both look hard. It is not easy to feed the chicks.
If he comes from the left into the nest, it's not that easy anymore. I think his right eye looks a bit different.

here is the video of this feeding

chrisitz

Post by chrisitz »

oh no! thus year is awful!! I had also a nest with bs nearby to my home. and alsohere all 3 storklets died. i guess the parents left the nest because lack of food....😣
and in estonia? no information from urmas?😣
Michi

Post by Michi »

Liz01 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:03 pm Michi, Karls eye- feeding 12:37 For me it looks the same a before. :puzzled:
He just looks a little strained. Both look hard. It is not easy to feed the chicks.
If he comes from the left into the nest, it's not that easy anymore. I think his right eye looks a bit different.
Thank you for the pic, Liz. Yes, here it's clearly him. I think you're right with his right eye. If he comes from the left side and showed us his right eye, the area around seems to be not so clear as before. I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Edit:
Anne :hi: , I'm sorry, only now I've seen your posting.
Anne7 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 3:49 pm Michi :hi:
I noticed the same. :nod:
Our Karl II currently looks a bit less glamorous than in his bachelor time. It is tiring and hard work to raise young.
Maybe he has lost some feathers around his eyes. :puzzled:

Recognizing the eye contour often also depends on the light conditions.
I've watched again my pics from the feeding at 12:36. Karl II came from the left and there his eyes indeed looked more like Katis eyes.
It seems so that feeding the greedy storklets is not unperilous for the parents and leaves marks. I'm convinced you're right; Karl has lost feathers around his right eye.

I've to go.
balistar

Post by balistar »

one of the numerous attacks of the goshawk female
and the two astonishing courageous storklets at 10:22

before, earlier

Goshawk appears on the left

balistar

Post by balistar »

goshawk is soooo fast

by a hair's breadth

after

Really one of the blackest days, here and also for the poor remained two Hungarian storklets, i'm deeply sad. Like you all, i hope that at least these two brave storklets will survive.

EDIT: Anne :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

17:14 Another feeding :loveshower: A lot of frogs by Karl II

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”