Post by Malewitsch »

What a tragedy, that reminds me of Hog Island Ospreys' nest, Maine 2018
when on 6 July, 12 July two of three chicks were taken by a Great Horned Owl

https://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/vi ... &start=380

I hope the remaining chick 3 stays well and fledges soon

SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Lipka Forest District, Poland

Today in the noon the juvenile takes her/his first flight and 2 mins later goshawk comes into empty nest but mom RoSzponka attacks him and fights

Still to watch!
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

SilverGirl wrote: July 6th, 2019, 5:23 pm Lipka Forest District, Poland

Today in the noon the juvenile takes her/his first flight and 2 mins later goshawk comes into empty nest but mom RoSzponka attacks him and fight

Still to watch!
:hi:
Yes, this is not the end of misfortune.
Today shortly after noon young Osprey flew out from the nest for the first time. During his absence, a Goshawk flew in again. While Goshawk was flying from the nest was attacked likely by a female Osprey (RoSzponka) and both birds fell from the nest during the fight. It is not known what happened to them. The young Osprey returned to the nest. Unfortunately, parents do not deliver him fish for three days.
yitmoth

Post by yitmoth »

So much drama in a mere five minutes! Including the ospret's crash-landing shortly after the fighting adults tumbled down from the nest...

Notwithstanding concerns for the well-being of the female and her sole-surviving ospret, this was certainly one of the most impressive fledges I have seen on any nestcam.

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you for updates, SilverGirl, Mamicja, yitmoth :wave:

Great snapshots from the flying chick. :2thumbsup:
Yesterday in the later evening I saw the chick made a normal PS.
However, I cross my fingers and toes for the remain chick and his Mom. :help:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Birdfriend :wave:
thank you for your notice about PS, that is very valuable and important! Other our chatter noticed that also.
That means, in my mind, that she still has something in her belly ...
But now it is over 3 days since she ate fish together with kidnapped yesterday her sister or brother #3 :cry:

We on our chat would like to think that it must be a girlie and named her - Afrodyta
( Aphrodite ), as she was beautiful, clever, strong and brave goddess :2thumbsup:
Our Afrodyta has pretty nacklace, from both of parents :)
And apart from this, just females are more welcome as giving live for future generations :)

The foresters were sitting at the lake, the dad Szuwarek's place for fishing and they observed a fishing osprey around 15.00. They had binoculars but couldn't see did it has rings or not. Rings has mom RoSzponka.
It was after the noon, after the goshawk's attack attempt into empty nest and mom's defense and fight with the aggressor. So that means, that one of parents is still alive.
And additonal notice - the foresters say there is neither ospreys' nest in the area ( we have in whole Poland ~30 or less breeding pairs ) and no goshawks'.
Some watchers say that the goshawk it's a single young female ... but I am not familiar to goshawks.
Anyway, it is a very, very stubborn and smart bird. Look earlier here, it visited our nest when eggs were in it! but dad Szuwarek chased it off. But it remembered the place and was patiently waiting for chicks ... exactly like GHO in O's nests in US.

Anyway poor Afrodyta is still hungry :cry:
She took several short flights, it is her first 'flying' day.
It was just like a miracle that her first flight she took just 2 mins before goshawk came into the nest! Maybe mom guarding somewhere near warned her with alarming voice ...
This year, in spring, it was installed a new cam and soon after that a thunderstorm damaged voice and IR options.

Still crossing all fingers for our lil sweet one :wave:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Parent, likely male (Szuwarek) started to visit the nest. No fish so far.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

SilverGirl, Mamicja :wave:

Just I opened the stream, parent is there and the chick made a nice PS. So it must had a meal.

12:04:03 PS
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Feisty osplet chased male adult arriving without fish...10:10 am

SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Yes,yes,yes :loveshower:

Dear Friends, Daddy came back :loveshower:
At first it seems to us he is checking what is going on in HIS nest and even he took the nestoration, moving sticks in around the nest.
So Szuwarek, please bring a fish, soon, for your the only survived child :shake:
And now we are waiting for mommy, RoSzponka. We are full of hope that she survived after the hard fight with the goshawk :2thumbsup:

edit 1: unfortunately, it was joy for short moment for many of us, chatters, just because of joy seeing an adult osprey in the nest, so we were just sure it must be dad Szuwarek, as there are no ospreys' nest in the area. At all, in whole the country we have only less than 30 breedings pairs.
Soon I recognized my mistake, and some others - our Szuwarek has beautiful wide dark brown nacklace and the guest hadn't. Also, after watching once and once again carefuly, behaviour of the guest was different from Szuwarek's and also relation juvenile to the guest was very strange. Finally it was strange that if it is Szuwarek, so why he didn't bring any fish ? That is no like Szuwarek's customs, he always arrives with a fish.
So, sorry for my first info made at the first moment of great joy :oops:

edit 2: Unfortunately, in the forest it was found an adult osprey, partly eaten and pulled on the ground ... :(((( oh, noooo :(((((((((
How hard must was his fight for the nest and juveniles, family somewhere beyond the camera ! We never will know the truth !
The misterious guest earlier observed at the lake also disappeared ... the goshawk also ?
It seems to me it was one of our pair child who returned from his first migration, a male of 2017, named Borowik ( more explanation why I am thinking like that would be too longer and off the theme ).
RiP [*] my beloved sweet Birdie, the most wonderful and amazing Fa among ospreys' Daddies in the world ... I will have you Szuwaruś in my heart and memory for always!
Now you have all your children by your side and may take care of them and bring nice fish from heavenly lakes ...
I hope that goshawks have their own Rainbow Bridge ...
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Aphrodite in & out, restless...waiting

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

The remain chick was calling then left the nest...

21:31 The nest is still empty...
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Birdfriend wrote: July 7th, 2019, 10:33 pm The remain chick was calling then left the nest...

21:31 The nest is still empty...
In the evening young Osprey left the nest twice, the third time at 19:40 and has not returned yet.
The forester said, that he is sitting on the nearby electric pole
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Mamicja wrote: July 7th, 2019, 10:48 pm :hi:
In the evening young Osprey left the nest twice, the third time at 19:40 and has not returned yet.
The forester said, that he is sitting on the nearby electric pole
Thank you Mamicja, that's good to read.

I took some close ups from the juvenile fledgling. Beautiful young osprey. :rolleyes:

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Today is a very sad message on FB: a dead male (Szuwarek) was found. It turned out that the adult Osprey, which visited the nest was not Szuwarek. The female (RoSzponka) has not been found so far, the second kidnapped young Osprey was found dead under the electric pole. :cry:
Therefore, an attempt to catch the young Osprey will be made tomorrow.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Mamicja thank you for your message, but it is very, very sad and tragic. I asked me yesterday, that the male adult not brought any fish to the chick. When the father would be good, he had never abandoned his chick and female.
What for a cruel season finale, at the beginning all was well and so peaceful. I can't believe it at all. :cry: :cry: :cry:

The stream stopped in the evening.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Steinhuder Meer Germany

This season they built up a fortress. :thumbs:

Dad brought a big still flapping fish to his little family.
yitmoth

Post by yitmoth »

Birdfriend wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:23 pmThe stream stopped in the evening.
From what I can make out on their FB page (I don't know Polish, but understand a little via other Slavic languages) not only the cam but also the electricity in the nest pole was switched off ahead of today's mission. A specially trained ornithologist carried fresh fish up to the nest, and the ospret (aka Afrodyta) soon came and started eating. So the most urgent problem has been solved for now. The team is considering their next move. (More accurate and/or newer info from Polish speakers will be welcome!)
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

yitmoth wrote: July 9th, 2019, 6:26 pm From what I can make out on their FB page (I don't know Polish, but understand a little via other Slavic languages) not only the cam but also the electricity in the nest pole was switched off ahead of today's mission. A specially trained ornithologist carried fresh fish up to the nest, and the ospret (aka Afrodyta) soon came and started eating. So the most urgent problem has been solved for now. The team is considering their next move. (More accurate and/or newer info from Polish speakers will be welcome!)
Many thanks for that update :wave: , I cross my fingers for the poor remaining chick.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Osprey nest, Lipka , Poland
http://www.lasy.gov.pl/pl/informacje/ka ... je/rybolow (You can still rewind this video)
Young Osprey on Sunday flew many times. Last time he left at 19:40

He returned only on Monday at 4:44

Yesterday he also flew many times from the nest and returned. After the last fly off at 15:44, till the end of the broadcast at 20:24 could not be seen.

From FB https://www.facebook.com/RybolowyOnline/timeline
The high-voltage line was shut down this morning. Osprey was not in the nest.
The alpinist climbed to the nest and left the fish there.
After a while the young Osprey flew in, ate some of the fish and now lies in the nest and rests, because a strong wind has risen.
Project supervisors are wondering what to do next. Consultations with ornithologists from Germany, England and Estonia are underway.
There is not much more information on FB. There are only discussions, quarrels and ideas (for example, supplying fish to the nest with a drone, because the power line can not be turned off at all time).
New photos appear from time to time.
Some information also appears on the chat of the second camera with Ospreys (Barlinecka Forest) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbnCn-u6zNk

Return to “Osprey”