Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Biker

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Post by Biker »

hi girls, if you quote others please don't mix up them :wave:
two members with the same post: is impossible.
their names are similar.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Jo UK wrote: July 12th, 2019, 9:10 pm I have been trying to find a picture of the transmitters used last year. We know that Karula, at least, still has one. We have been tracking her. I have not looked far enough back in the 2018 topic so far. If anyone can find it, please do. If not, I will try again tomorrow
2018:

they are almost not visible
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks, Tatiana.
balistar

Post by balistar »

OMG - i just came back and briefly read back what happened. I will read with more calm later.

At the moment i have two questions:

1) was it only the red transmitter that Karl II was afraid of and that he attacked ?

2) is it only my impression or are these transmitters a bit bigger than the last year's ?

EDIT 22:30:
18:51 here i had the impression, therefore i asked if they are bigger this year

21:32 in this view they are not even visible

22:00 also here, not visible - so they are most likely the same size as the ones of last year
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I really looks as though the red transmitter is unwelcome. It has been atacked by the sibling and by Karl II. Is it from fear, or do they see it as a form of competition? Don't know, but they don't like it. The black transmitter has not been attacked.

As to size, the red one is more noticeable but is it bigger?
Marimuri

Post by Marimuri »

He keeps pecking the red one.
Seems to annoy the other with it already. :/
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

22.22 - 22.24 younger chick 716О trying to remove the transmitter from the senior 716А. :shock:
Senior almost fell out of the nest. https://ok.ru/video/1230975470206 :unsure: https://ok.ru/video/1231030454910] :unsure:
leonia

Post by leonia »

Jo UK wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm ....The black transmitter has not been attacked...
Jo, the black one was attacked too, just shortly after they awake from their short sleep.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Thanks, Jo.

Yes, the red jumps into one's eye. Now i have scrolled back a little and i saw that they most likely have the same size as the ones of last year.

Thanks also to you, leonia.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Jo UK wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:16 pm It really looks as though the red transmitter is unwelcome. It has been attacked by the sibling and by Karl II. Is it from fear, or do they see it as a form of competition? Don't know, but they don't like it. The black transmitter has not been attacked.

As to size, the red one is more noticeable but is it bigger?
I think both transmitters are about the same size.
In this pic, the red transmitter looks more redish-brown.

Jo, a simple consideration:
even if Karl II and/or Kati overcome their dislike for this red transmitter, we cannot send this storklet into the wide world with something on its back that other BS see as a threat or an intruder, can we? That would be awful for the poor storklet.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
asteria

Post by asteria »

visit wrote: July 12th, 2019, 9:50 pm asteria wrote:
I really hope that this post will not be censored again, My experience after a short time here in the forum is, that qualified criticism is not really appreciated.

i don't agree and cannot confirm your statement.

:wave:

Sorry but "my"quote above doesn't belong to me. I have been writing here for more than 10 years, it is not a short time and I can't have written such a phrase. :shock:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Anne, your concern is understandable. Only Urmas can decide what to do about it.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

asteria wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:33 pm Sorry but "my"quote above doesn't belong to me. I have been writing here for more than 10 years, it is not a short time and I can't have written such a phrase. :shock:
Asteria, you are correct. That post should have been attributed to aperitif.
visit

Post by visit »

Oh, big sorry @asteria + aperitif - i just corrected it... :)
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Lets calm down and see what new day brings.
I don´t know why that transmitter is red but I don´t think that those who has made it are so stupid and unprofessional as we think.
Tomorrow will be better day!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

I didn't like this red one when I saw it first.

I'm sure it will shine in the sun, will be seen from far and will catch much attention. :slap: Is there a special reason for choosing this one?

:offtobed:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Asteria, ask one of the moderators to correct it.

Ed: I see it's been done.

Sleep well and good dreams about this lovely family!
:offtobed:
visit

Post by visit »

abigyl, cause of the questionable fact, that you never make mistakes, i just want to add for the political correctness, that you probably have disregarded, that i had already corrected it:
Oh, big sorry @asteria + aperitif - i just corrected it... :)
wish you nice dreams ;)

and all the others a very good night :wave:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

leonia wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:26 pm Jo, the black one was attacked too, just shortly after they awake from their short sleep.
Thanks, leonia. I had not seen that.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Have to write about several mistakes of today, but will touch only color of transmitter now.
We did not have second transmitter for Black Stork by now, but had possibility to use one brown ordered for Lesser Spotted Eagles. So having no any doubts about color problem, we decided to add to your transmitter one transmitter we have. It is of the same size, only no elevated solar panel there, but classic version. By some reason it seems more red as it is in hand, but important is that male stork noticed some danger in that and accordingly wanted to get rid of it.
In other situation there would be easy solution to remove the problematic transmitter, but in case if chicks will probably jump out again and we know it beforehand - not really good idea. Maybe they are more tolerant in night time, but if they will jump in night - there will be few chances to find them.
Let's look tomorrow, how behave adults and then decide further action. I think nowhere has been described similar problem. Yes, siblings were curious about new thing on back of other sibling, but aggression of adult seems to be new knowledge. For sure this information will be forwarded to producer of transmitters! Maybe that helps to avoid similar mistakes in future.
I'm sorry for stressful afternoon I caused repeatedly today for you, for my colleagues and for myself!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”