Osprey Nests in North America

Birdfriend

Re: Osprey Nests in North America

Post by Birdfriend »

asteria wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 9:58 pm Her leg wouldn't heal even within three or four months, it takes more time.
Yes, that's right. So Rachel would must be live in captivity for a long time.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Rita

Post by Rita »

Birdfriend: Do you seriously compare a life-long captivity to some months of rehabilitation???? And to answer your question: No, for me this is not the same. And her leg would heal until next spring for sure.

But all our musing won't help because no one is going to help this bird. Read the comments in the Audubon chat. :cry:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Dunrovin Ranch, Lolo, Montana, 07-23-2019

Hip fledges!

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Short report on Rachel from Hog Island.

She is fishing, catching fish, and swelling is greatly reduced in her foot. I don't know what's going on with her, medically but she is showing improvement. The only thing I notice that is a detriment, is that she doesn't seem to have much, if any grip in her toes on the left leg, the one that was injured. I haven't had time to look closely enough to know about swelling in the leg joint or if so, how much it may have gone down (the swelling) but as of last night, the 22nd, her leg was still turning out to the side at an odd angle. She seems very much alert compared to previous days and has even gone out to attack intruders in the area. That's something that makes me cringe every time she does that because she's no match for a Bald Eagles should they get into any kind of fight. But I do know, she's better!

I would also say at this point, for sure there will be no intervention because she's flying, eating and catching fish. She does still have a difficulty in being able to tear off fish to eat and it takes her a long time but I pray it will get better and stronger. :bow: :bow: :bow:

This is a photo of her foot that I took this morning.

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Bremen Maine, 07-23-2019

Rita

Post by Rita »

:hi: Chimega: Thank you for your report.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Rita wrote: July 24th, 2019, 7:34 am :hi: Chimega: Thank you for your report.
You're welcome, Rita :wave:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega wrote: July 24th, 2019, 7:03 am Short report on Rachel from Hog Island.

She is fishing, catching fish, and swelling is greatly reduced in her foot. I don't know what's going on with her, medically but she is showing improvement. The only thing I notice that is a detriment, is that she doesn't seem to have much, if any grip in her toes on the left leg, the one that was injured. I haven't had time to look closely enough to know about swelling in the leg joint or if so, how much it may have gone down (the swelling) but as of last night, the 22nd, her leg was still turning out to the side at an odd angle. She seems very much alert compared to previous days and has even gone out to attack intruders in the area. That's something that makes me cringe every time she does that because she's no match for a Bald Eagles should they get into any kind of fight. But I do know, she's better!

I would also say at this point, for sure there will be no intervention because she's flying, eating and catching fish. She does still have a difficulty in being able to tear off fish to eat and it takes her a long time but I pray it will get better and stronger. :bow: :bow: :bow:

This is a photo of her foot that I took this morning.

https://i.imgur.com/NF3eZ37.jpg
Chimega, thank you for report about Rachel and the videos too and the fledgling at the Dunrovin- nest. I hope for a good recovery for Rachel! :wave:

The other sibling made a nice helicoptering too. :thumbs:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Dunrovin nest

All five together there, beautiful family. :2thumbsup:

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Bremen, Maine 07-25-2019

The Great Horned Owl returned. Took one of the chicks. They think it may be Dion, the male baby but really can't give a positive ID on who is alive in the nest until daylight. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Approximately 2:08am

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

And before the deviation of last night happened, I shot this video of Hog Island with Rachel and Steve to show how bad off Rachel really was. Someone notified youtube that there was a copyright claim on the video for some soothing music for cats?!?!?! for 11 seconds of the video. There is NO music in this video at all. So youtube blocked it in the USA but not anywhere else. I have a sneaking suspicion it was done by a certain Explore moderator to keep people from seeing how bad Rachel's leg and foot really are and how she struggles so, to even eat.

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega wrote: July 25th, 2019, 10:45 am Hog Island, Bremen, Maine 07-25-2019

The Great Horned Owl returned. Took one of the chicks. They think it may be Dion, the male baby but really can't give a positive ID on who is alive in the nest until daylight. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Approximately 2:08am

[youtube]Io9SvMWwZN0

[youtube]WJT5NDdQxGA
The same tragedy every year. :cry:
Chimega, I haven't observe that nest this season, has Rachel her bad leg from an fight with GHO? I don't like to read their chat.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Chimega, You are right. I know that the moderators, for whatever reason, deny Rachel's state. I did express my concerns in two or three postings - my postings were deleted by Poppy, the moderator. I do not understand how someone can be so mindless and cruel. They have no conscience. They are not ashamed. And most of the participants share Poppy's attitude or ignore Rachel's state altogether. :shock:

Whenever I see Rachel it twists my heart - but I am not in a position to help her.

I guess I will post some comments on the Audubon chat - just to go on their nerves. Until they ban me. :nod:

Heartbreaking, your video where Steve and Rachel are visibly in shock over the loss of Dion. :cry:

Can't get/find this chat any more. Audubon/disqus has disappeared and there is no chat on the Explore site.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Rita wrote: July 25th, 2019, 5:26 pm °°°
Can't get/find this chat any more. Audubon/disqus has disappeared and there is no chat on the Explore site.
The cam and chat are still there, have you logged in? So it could be that they have you blocked. Try it again.

A comment from a chatter there before:
Bluebird32 • 31 minutes ago
How long has it been since the lights were turned on?

I can’t help but to think they don’t help very much. Imagine if you were flying through the woods looking for food and you see this nest you’ve dinned on before highlighted in different lights.

Owls can distinguish whether they’re seeing though natural lights or with the help of their eyes. The nest would contrast with the rest of the landscape. It’s just too tempting to ignore.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Birdfriend: Thank you, I will try again. (Couldn't find anything to log in to).

Would it be possible that you posted that link? Thank you in advance,
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

That's the link from the Audubon osprey nest:
https://explore.org/livecams/ospreys/osprey-nest
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thanks for the link, Birdfriend, but, weird, I get a selection of all sorts of cameras with a row of 5 bears in the top banner, but not our osprey nest in Hog Island. :puzzled:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Hm, for me it works since some years. The banner is there above, but then it opens the stream from Rachels and Steves nest including the chat.

Pic from now: Rachel is on the branch to guarding her remaining chick, fingers are crossed that he/ she can make it... :bow:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Rita! :wave:

Direct youtube link to the same camera at Hog Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ir_sMsTtc

Return to “Osprey”