Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Anne7

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Post by Anne7 »

At 16:51-52, both storklets started begging/chirping.
A black stork was nearby.
He flew in the forest, from the right to the left at about 16:52:12-14

16:51:40 "Hallelujah, there is Dad with food!"

16:52:05 "Stop singing, O. This isn't Dad." - "Really? Too bad."

16:52:14 A BS flew in the forest.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Summi

Post by Summi »

I just overheard A asking O - "Shall we go ourselves and try to find something to eat? It seems that daddy has something more important to do now."
17:41 Karl II fast feeding
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Summi wrote: July 25th, 2019, 5:26 pm ...
17:41 Karl II fast feeding
Thank you, Summi! :2thumbsup:
I will make some pics.

Karl II brought a nice pile of frogs. :thumbs:
I think Kati wrote on the reverse of her farewell "note": "Don't forget to feed the children some frogs, honey." :mrgreen:

"Yes, this time it is Dad!"

A first load of frogs.

More frogs. :D
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

They are very greedy! A in particular.

The last food item drops on the nest floor. Maybe a fish? :puzzled:

A has not forgotten the battle over the huge fish and is determined to conquer at least this little one!
He did! :D
— Irene Pepperberg
Summi

Post by Summi »

Anne7 wrote: July 25th, 2019, 6:18 pm I think Kati wrote on the reverse of her farewell "note": "Don't forget to feed the children some frogs, honey."
Summi wrote: July 24th, 2019, 3:52 pm Yesterday at 11.42 Kati pooped on the nest. Maybe she said with this marking - Bye-bye, friends, Karl II, as a trustworthy partner, will take over my duties
I didn't know at the time when this was written yesterday that Karl II indeed takes over Kati's duties and brings frogs.
pica

Post by pica »

wonderful pics with frogs, thank you anne :D

"we are waiting for dinner."

visit

Post by visit »

Thanks everyone for all reports and pictures ! :))
it is so nice to see them again and that there are still there :))
raija

Post by raija »

Anne7 wrote: July 25th, 2019, 5:03 pm For those who have not voted yet, here is the name poll:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=986

It's still undecided!
For our storklet with ring number 716O, currently the names "Oru" and "Oivi" are in joint first place. Both names have 18 votes. :2thumbsup:
Your vote could, therefore, be decisive!

The poll runs till tomorrow morning, July 26th at 7:47 a.m. :D
I have not voted yet because I don't know how to do it. :blush:
raija

Post by raija »

raija wrote: July 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm I have not voted yet because I don't know how to do it. :blush:
Ahaa, I reloaded the polling page and there came "clicking places".
Biker

Post by Biker »

i have read back and realized that A and O made early flights today.
I took a look into the archive files:
both were already awake at 3:45. in the darkness they preened themselve almost half an hour. then were standing along there around 2 hours (with napping including) on the nest.
it seems they planed their early trips:
a video with scenes how they communicate "verbal", they also preened each other and then were ready to discover the forest.

*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Summi

Post by Summi »

Biker, thank you. It's interesting to watch live and in a nutshell how they communicate with each other. :wave:

Good night all
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thanks, everyone, for today's contributions!

Summi, probably you can also hear words that float through the air to you, like Jo! :D :thumbs:

Pica, you're welcome. Thank you too.

Thank you, Biker, for this very early morning video!

21:21

Sleep well, storklets.
Sleep well, everyone.
:wave:

Tomorrow I'll be away all day.
— Irene Pepperberg
Michi

Post by Michi »

Biker wrote: July 25th, 2019, 2:40 pm : hi: balistar and everyone.
i didn't saw that the take offs and landings are already in work : blush: :blush: perhaps i better should remove the clip : unsure:
Biker, :wave: you should better not remove your excellent video. It is the only one we have from this great landing! :nod: As you wrote, it was yesterdays landing (from 24.07.2019, 07:45). From that event there is no other video available.
The video balistar talked about was that from todays morning, - that one with many starts and landings.

So no weather problem, but a good idea. :D

Thanks a lot everyone for todays pictures, reports and videos! Liz, special thanks for todays exciting morning report and the video! Biker, the clip with the poor butterfly is very interesting. I hope he could survive.

Sova :hi: , I‘m also happy to see you here more often!
Biker

Post by Biker »

i see, Michi, obviously the problem is: I can not follow the chronology :banghead: , which is indeed more worrying than the reason (which i now can't also retrace no more) for the idea to remove the clip.
:slap:

see you tomorrow :wave:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Michi

Post by Michi »

Biker, in your post about the video you wrote: here is a video of the beautiful flight back to the nest by O. Yesterday morning 7:45.
That is very correct, no irritations possible.

Indeed it is not easy to follow the chronology. The days are running fast and every day many remarkable events happen. Every day a lot of new pages are written in the forum.
An hour ago I reasoned when 716A has made its maiden flight, - yesterday or the day before? So what?

You can also raise the question why nobody else noticed that your video was brand new and not a repeat of something which was already posted in the forum. Instead, all have just said, even if it is similar, do not delete. :rolleyes:
I suppose, the reason is: In these eventful days many of us have similar problems to remember if an event has happened for example yesterday morning or the day before yesterday. The events are overtaking each other.
So please, don’t worry about it! I think it’s normal for all people who don't have the time to follow the events and especially the big amount of reports in the forum the whole day.
Michi

Post by Michi »

Lastly some pictures from the evening.

21:51 Preening time. 716O wants to help its sibling. :)

22:00 Two adorable beauties. :D

22:08 What are the storklets thinking about? Do they already feel the inner urge to fly to the south? Maybe not yet. But I'm sure they want to see what's behind the forest. :rolleyes:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Franco :wave: , a late but warm welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words!
I'm impressed you've been following the Estonian Black Storks for so many years. Then you have watched the Black Storks life from the beginning of this forum and you know all the stories about the former nests and their inhabitants!? Wow! :bow: That's kind of enviable. :D

Franco wrote: July 24th, 2019, 12:35 pm [......]
The two remaining children seem to have developed an excellent character and friendship with each other. Is this perhaps due to the dangers they have overcome?
Yes, these two have experienced a lot with their siblings. I am not an expert but I would not exclude that they are so close to each other because of all the dangers they must experience together. So much affection for each other ... it is noticeable. I haven't seen it this way before.
Michi

Post by Michi »

visit wrote: July 25th, 2019, 9:19 pm it is so nice to see them again and that there are still there :))
Hello visit, :hi:
yes, it's a precious time, now, when our storklets are still here. Very soon they will leave the nest. Maybe in 5 days or in a week? In 10 days? I will enjoy every day our "babies" are still with us. It's short enough. :rolleyes:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

26 July

We have the winners!

716A - ARU
716O - ORU

Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Good Morning all :hi:

Aru and Oru :loveshower:

Thanks a lot for great pictures, videos and comments. I'm a bit in a hurry :bow:
5:37 A flew to the right
5:40 O flew to the right
6:16 A is back
6:17 A flew away again
6:20 both have returned
6:23 O flew to the left
6:23 A flew to the right
6:24 very nice flight in the forest on the left (if I remember correct)
6:26 O is back
6:27 out again
6:33 O is back.. starts begging A comes in both are begging. They have begged each other. No adult was around

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”