Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Solo

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2019

Post by Solo »

Michi wrote: August 18th, 2019, 2:10 pm...I hope he has had a good first night, away from nest. :rolleyes:
:hi: Michi,
maybe yes
(click) https://i.postimg.cc/4x6WM6GX/A-area.jpg, https://i.postimg.cc/26nCFs4z/Aru.jpg
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

To be honest, I would have liked to see that the wound is much better than it was. The thermals help him a lot, that's very good. But there will also be sections where he has to make many wing movements.
Hopefully he's traveling slowly to the south. :2thumbsup:
_Olga

Post by _Olga »

Do you already know if Aru and Oru are males, or females?
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Liz01 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 2:28 pm To be honest, I would have liked to see that the wound is much better than it was. The thermals help him a lot, that's very good. But there will also be sections where he has to make many wing movements.
Hopefully he's traveling slowly to the south. :2thumbsup:
I agree, Liz01. The best scenario would be for Aru never to get injured in the first place. But as Urmas said, it is a lesson to him.
Hopefully, he will make a speedy, full recovery.
Did you see that he traveled 152 kms yesterday? I was surprised that he went so far! :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ari19 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:13 pm I agree, Liz01. The best scenario would be for Aru never to get injured in the first place. But as Urmas said, it is a lesson to him.
Hopefully, he will make a speedy, full recovery.
Did you see that he traveled 152 kms yesterday? I was surprised that he went so far! :laugh:
Ari, I saw it. I look every day on birdmap and also movebank. :laugh: I do it since 2015. I also documented much there. My first storklet was Upene. We lost her ..

I do not know if it was a lesson for Aru.. What should he learn from this? Accidents happen and attacks by humans and predators can not be prevented either. Then there are power lines, dirty, poisoned water .. Aru and all migrations birds need much luck. :bow: :2thumbsup:

In good thermal conditions 152 km are not a big deal for him. He glides without much effort :laugh: I'm happy that he is near Sigulda.
Marimuri

Post by Marimuri »

Dumb question maybe but.. how on earth do they know where they're going?

(With my pathetic sense of direction, if I were a bird, I'd probably end up flying north.)
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Liz01 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:28 pm Ari, I saw it. I look every day on birdmap and also movebank. :laugh: I do it since 2015. I also documented much there. My first storklet was Upene. We lost her ..

I do not know if it was a lesson for Aru.. What should he learn from this? Accidents happen and attacks by humans and predators can not be prevented either. Then there are power lines, dirty, poisoned water .. Aru and all migrations birds need much luck. :bow: :2thumbsup:

In good thermal conditions 152 km are not a big deal for him. He glides without much effort :laugh: I'm happy that he is near Sigulda.
I agree. Many dangers ahead, we will hope for the best.
I’m still thankful that Urmas had a second transmitter handy... :innocent:

(Dear Liz01, I know that you are a veteran here.
I wouldn’t have found this forum if your YT channel didn’t exist.
My question about your seeing Aru’s travel distance was poorly worded.
I meant it as an introduction to a discussion,
not as a real question whether you had seen him.
Unfortunately, English can be vague at times.
You are one of the veteran members here and I respect that.)

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ari19 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 4:20 pm I agree. Many dangers ahead, we will hope for the best.

(Dear Liz01, I know that you are a veteran here. I wouldn’t have found this forum if your YT channel didn’t exist.
My question about your seeing Aru’s travel distance was poorly worded. I meant it as an introduction to a discussion, not as a real question wether you had seen him.

Dear Ari, I'm sorry, that I that I misunderstood you. my English is not the best. Without GT I would be almost wordless :laugh:
Despite Google translater, I do not understand some things correctly. The more people communicate the harder it is. :slap:
There is only one member, where I always know what is meant. She understood my gibberish English in 2015 till now. This has not changed :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

And now I do not understand why the answer is blue, even though I chose no color. This is not my best day :slap:
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Liz01 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 4:33 pm And now I do not understand why the answer is blue, even though I chose no color. This is not my best day
It is fine, Liz01, no problem. It is Sunday, we all should be relaxing!

Your English is perfectly understandable and clear.
I know that many here use GT, and I usually try to write in simple English.
But sometimes, I forget and use vague phrases. :blush:
This leads to misunderstandings that I don’t like leaving behind.
Now everything is :thumbs:
_Olga wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:05 pm Do you already know if Aru and Oru are males, or females?
Olga, welcome to the forum! :hi:
Always good to see people joining. :gathering:

No, we don’t know the gender of the storklets.
I understood that Urmas took DNA samples when he did the ringing
and that the tests take months to complete... :puzzled:
I think we are still waiting.

Anyone know for sure?
asteria

Post by asteria »

Has Karl II appeared in the nest after Aru left to do nestworks? If he didn't, it is not a good sign.

In 2008 the gender of storklets was known already by the end of August. And I suppose Oru and Aru must be both females.
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Marimuri wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:50 pm Dumb question maybe but.. how on earth do they know where they're going?

(With my pathetic sense of direction, if I were a bird, I'd probably end up flying north.)
The latest scientific talk has been about magnetic fields:

“Earth's magnetic field plays a vital role in everything from animal migration to protecting the Earth from the Sun's harsh solar wind. Now, a recent study finally sheds light on how some birds visually see Earth's magnetic field. Birds use Earth's magnetic field as sort of a heads-up display to help them navigate the globe.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace ... 6f317620e1

Sigh... Empty Nest Syndrome...

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ari19 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 4:38 pm

No, we don’t know the gender of the storklets.
I understood that Urmas took DNA samples when he did the ringing
and that the tests take months to complete... :puzzled:
I think we are still waiting.

Anyone know for sure?
That's right. :thumbs: The genetic material is sent to Berlin. We are not that fast.
You just have to see how long we need to build an airport :rotf: :rotf:
Marimuri

Post by Marimuri »

Magnetic.. okay.. nature is endlessly fascinating!
Thanks, Ari!
sova

Post by sova »

Liz01 wrote: August 18th, 2019, 4:56 pm You just have to see how long we need to build an airport :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Marimuri wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:50 pm Dumb question maybe but.. how on earth do they know where they're going?

Marimuri, as far as I am aware there is no cetainty about the mechanism of a bird's navigation.
It has been suggested that they use the angle of the sun's rays, and/or the earth's magnetic field. Magnetic receptors are said to be in the bird's beak, the proximal end, where the beak attaches to the skull. Other authors have suggested that the magnetic receptor cells are in the brain of the bird.
Some experienced birds will have learned the landmarks on their journeys - rivers, roads,towns, hills, etc, but that cannot apply to a young stork's first migration.
Maybe others know more.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

13 amazing facts about bird migration
The question of where birds went in the winter puzzled people for centuries, but we now know more than ever about their migration. As In Our Time explores how even tiny songbirds are able to travel thousands of miles to warmer climes each year, here are some fascinating revelations from the programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -migration
pica

Post by pica »

:hi:

Michi

Post by Michi »

Thank you for the lovely pictures, Pica! :2thumbsup:
This is a nice memory on our storklets. :D
Solo

Post by Solo »

Marimuri wrote: August 18th, 2019, 3:50 pmDumb question maybe but.. how on earth do they know where they're going? (With my pathetic sense of direction, if I were a bird, I'd probably end up flying north.)
good answer (I think): https://www.thespruce.com/how-birds-migrate-386445 (when you scroll down, you will find more articles on the topic)

searching for answer generally: e.g. scholar.google.com (key words and in menu, left, you can precise others criteria)

and I hope we will have also here FAQ

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”