Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2020

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2020

Post by ame »

thanks Liz! :thumbs:

handbyl, i believe that the "chicken ladder" which is leaning against the left branch is going to stay. the other end is buried so deep inside the nest that the next eaglets will have to work really hard to make it drop. :laugh:
i just made up the word chicken ladder in English but it seems to be the correct name for what i had in mind, 'kanarappu' in Finnish. :laugh:
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/fr ... ciz-m24uc=

good night! :wave:
playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cDSddLLr7l
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Good evening! Thank you all for the reports!
ame wrote: January 16th, 2020, 3:47 pm did he finish? i thought that the plan was to clean the lens, too. :puzzled:
According to Mega2, Janis saw the eagls (said about it) and did not climb the nest and wipe the lens so as not to injure the eagles even more.
:headroll: It seems Janis has read or guessed our wishes!
We discussed in a chat that it would be interesting to look at the nest from below and see the ground under the nest (whether there are many sticks there).
Janis and co took a lot of interesting photos and video. Thank you very much!
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 6e#p236578
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

handbyl wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:52 pm ...
That branch jammed up against the left hand branch from the nest - if it stays it will be really useful in encouraging exploring :unsure: by the next brood :bounce: .
I too, it was today that I imagined how the eagles would climb the left branches, they wouldn't have to jump. :laugh:
I also noticed that both eagles and squirrels love branches on the left. Other branches are only used by small birdies.
Raimis's "delicious" branch, it's a separate theme. This branch even Milda sometimes nibbles. No one nibbles on other branches. Interestingly why so?
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

I have the answer to this question:
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 6e#p236581

Someone can take this to the forum Dabasdati.lv?
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Sonchik wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:17 pm We discussed in a chat that it would be interesting to look at the nest from below and see the ground under the nest (whether there are many sticks there).
Janis and co took a lot of interesting photos and video. Thank you very much!
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 6e#p236578
Great stuff! So, it is a fair bit of work to keep us nest-cam junkies happy .... that climb was entertaining.

Thanks to all....
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

January 17

Good Morning! Thank you for reporting.

Janis is climbing the nest tree :2thumbsup: Maris, thanks for the video :loveshower:

Info about WTE in Latvia.
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 86#p236586

The Zoological Museum of the University of Latvia has been showing the sea eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla (L.)) for over 90 years.

On June 15, 1920, Ferdinand Erdman Stoll (F.E. Stoll), a taxodermist (including ornithologist and mycologist), bought this white tailed eagle along with 37 other objects (including 29 birds) for 50 rubles. Department of Systematic Zoology. The exact details (time and place) of the bird collection are not known.

The Latvian Ornithological Society has named the white tailed eagles "Bird of the Year 2012". The species is rare and is included in the list of specially protected birds in both Latvia and Europe. The number of these largest eagles in Latvia (range 205-244 cm) has changed significantly over time. In the area of ​​Latvia, when the white tailed eagle was a "relatively common nest" from the 19th century, in the 1950s the number went back to a well-known nest near Lake Burtnieks and Lake Kanieri now reaches around 100 breeding pairs ,

It is one of the few success stories of a specially protected bird species.

https://www.lu.lv/muzejs/menesa-prieksmets/2012-gads/
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

5:25 female tawny owl is calling near
5:26 male tawny owl is calling from afar
5:27 they are still calling
5:33 male is still calling from afar
5:47 tawny owl male is still calling

7:32 It's still dark. Now I hear the wind.

I'm away for few hours. i have to drive in the middle of the city. for 20 km I have to calculate 1- 1.5 hours. I'm glad, if i leave Berlin for good :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
thank you for the news! i'll add links to the new material somewhere on the first page.

8:32 Raimis brought some green twigs.

he stood on the nest and was looking around...

somehow i got the feeling that Milda was somewhere in the forest, too, and looking around as he. i didn't see or hear anything of course.
ame

Post by ame »

8:45 Raimis flew out.

this is all of his visit. please tell us if you see any sign of Milda there. it would be interesting to know.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:51 pm I have the answer to this question:
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 6e#p236581

Someone can take this to the forum Dabasdati.lv?
thank you Sonchik!
i shall post this in DDF.

the circumference of a circle s = 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle. 2r is the diametre of the circle, so diametre is = s/π. the value of the constant pi π is about 3.14.

Janis measured the circumference (around the tree) = 242 cm. therefore the circumference (straight from one side to the other ) is 77 cm, like Iveta calculated yesterday.
it's quite a big tree! Image
ame

Post by ame »

8:05/6 a pygmy owl called.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Good morning!
I found a bird flying in the upper right corner at 14:52. Probably raven.
The eagles were circling over the nest not just at 15:35.
One eagle began appearing on the left at 15:37. He was circling in the sky for a long time. At 15:38, I think Janis said there was an eagle circling over him, he saw him, too.
At 15:56, voices were heard, at 15:57 sounds. Raimis arrived in 9 minutes! :shock:
He landed so amusing on a branch, not in a nest, as if he didn't believe the nest hadn't been stolen. Image
14:52-15:57

16:06

Today.
8:32
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 17th, 2020, 9:25 am ...
somehow i got the feeling that Milda was somewhere in the forest, too, and looking around as he. i didn't see or hear anything of course.
I'm sure it is. :nod:
I recently processed two videos for November. In every situation, you found one eagle somewhere away. I found a second eagle there. They always strive for the same place. Not always at the same time. They're like kids who repeat after each other. :laugh:
We don't always see it, but it seems to me that they are always somewhere next to each other. The more I watch the video, the more I'm convinced of it.
ame

Post by ame »

thank you for the video Sonchik!
you have learned a very clever way to show also the time stamp, like a video inside a video. :thumbs:
i didn't notice that there was a n eagle in the right side of the sky when Janis came up. i think i was looking at him. 8-)
my video was also of such poor quality anyway since i had to record from screen. :banghead:

i believe that it was Raimis who was flying there. he is the braver of them two.

edit: i added some of the nest pictures in the end of the introduction (and used up all the spare space which i had reserved! :slap: )
viewtopic.php?p=704648#p704648

playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B5n0vUzlWK
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

16:50 Beautiful sunset reflection on the nest; it's kind of violet :thumbs:

Milda?? where are you girl?? :whistling:

17:05 Still daylight...
Solo

Post by Solo »

Abigyl wrote: January 17th, 2020, 4:52 pm 16:50 Beautiful sunset reflection on the nest; it's kind of violet :thumbs:

Milda?? where are you girl?? :whistling:

17:05 Still daylight...

:wave:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

I think I hear people 's voices at 8:40-8:42.

15:31 :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

January 18

Good Morning!

thank you for reporting!

7:07 it's still dark and it sounds windy again.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Good Morning !

There's no sound of wind now. (I checked my sound in other nests and it's working).

Let's hope for a nice weekend ! :thumbs:

Liz, I'm glad to see you survived the cross-city. It became harder in all big cities. :slap:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: January 18th, 2020, 7:57 am ...........Liz, I'm glad to see you survived the cross-city. It became harder in all big cities. :slap:
When my meeting was done, I almost couldn't find my car :rotf: :rotf:

I hope we will see our Milda today. :D

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”