Southwest Florida Eagle Cam

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Sonchik

Re: Harriet & M15, American Bald Eagle Cam

Post by Sonchik »

Sunshine wrote: January 16th, 2020, 1:27 am Yes, for Harriet and also bold eagles in general this is a completely adequate behaviour. It is related to Harriet expressing the dominance, but also is usually part of the bonding ritual; by kicking the male's side and "yelling" at him, the female is also "inviting" him to mate. They strengthen their ties in this ritual, which intensifies with the start of a breeding season and is followed almost each time by mating.

Yet, in this case, the Harriet might have been rather stressed, seeing that E14 is not ok, and then "acting it out" in the display of this behaviour.
Thank you very much for the detailed answer! :bow:
So it s an eagle foreplay. :shock:

Harriet and М15 talked a lot. I wish I knew the language of the Eagles.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Solo wrote: January 15th, 2020, 11:10 pm Abigyl,
I was so happy - no bonking only joy and this end ... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Me too :cry:
Solo

Post by Solo »

FB CROW https://bit.ly/2RoqLib

A broken blood feather that remains in a bird's skin essentially acts as an open faucet, allowing blood to pour out of the bird's body. Because birds cannot tolerate much blood loss, broken blood feathers that are left untreated can be fatal.
Solo

Post by Solo »

fish with hook on this nest on Jan. 14 (2020):
http://bociany-online.pl/phpBB3/viewtop ... defd#p3987
asteria

Post by asteria »

Sunshine wrote: January 16th, 2020, 1:13 am asteria, the CROW (Clinic for the rehabilitation for wildlife) gave an answer to that (on FB):
As soon as CROW staff became aware of the situation, efforts to coordinate a rescue began. This process includes obtaining permission from federal and state wildlife officials prior to intervening in an active nest. Entering an active nest at night poses a safety risk to both the adult eagles who could become agitated by human presence and seriously injure themselves during the rescue process, as well as the safety risk to the personnel attempting the rescue. Realistically, a rescue attempt was not possible until this morning at which time we were notified the eaglet had passed away overnight.
Despite all the risk there was a chance to save the eaglet. It was missed, the eagled died from bleeding. :cry:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:24 am fish with hook on this nest on Jan. 14 (2020):....
Solo, good morning :D

I think that's a part of the fish. :puzzled:

like that:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barteln
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik wrote: January 15th, 2020, 11:35 pm :puzzled: My question was about Harriet's karate in relation to the M15....
Sonchik, :wave: you didn't define the question. So I had to guess what you mean. :laugh:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:36 am
Liz, very probably you are right :thumbs: - "A radiograph was taken of the body which did not reveal any foreign objects, such as a fishing hook, in the body of E14 and the staff member that retrieved the remains did not find any fishing hooks or line in the nest"
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

What is a Broken Blood Feather?
Whether you're new to pet birds, or not, if you have a pet bird, you need to know what to do about a broken blood feather. Broken blood feathers are the #1 minor medical problem that pet bird’s experience.

Your bird molts or loses its old feathers, once or twice a year in order to grow fresh, new feathers. As new feathers are growing in, they require a steady blood supply which is delivered in the stiff middle part of the feather, the shaft. Think of the shaft of a blood feather as a vein that delivers blood where it is needed.

While you may not be able to see the pink, blood-filled shaft of a small blood feather on your bird's neck or head, you can see the pinkish blood flow in larger wing and tail feathers. These larger feathers are critical for balance and flight. Pet birds can easily break larger blood feathers in play, if they get it caught between cage bars, or if they fall off of a perch when they become startled. Most birds will experience broken blood feathers in their lifetime, so be prepared to stop the bleeding. It may just save your birds' life.

You see, birds have relatively little blood in their bodies, so a broken blood feather can cause your bird to bleed out rather quickly. It is important to stop the bleeding fast.

read more!
https://birdsupplies.com/blogs/news/157 ... od-feather

Thanks for the link to Ona, a YT friend
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm
sorry Liz, but plus minus the same info already here https://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtop ... 81#p705781 :mrgreen:
(btw. I like not the long quotes here on the forum if we have simply access to sources :whistling: )
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: January 16th, 2020, 3:29 pm sorry Liz, but plus minus the same info already here https://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtop ... 81#p705781 :mrgreen:
For me it's not the same. Lady Hawk is not a vet.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 3:38 pm For me it's not the same. Lady Hawk is not a vet.
I am also not, but you, me, she and much other bird-lover read scientific papers or very good other sources, her infos about that are correct
my words were to content, not to the author
I read after her info e.g. also this https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-fi ... her-390417
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

asteria wrote: January 16th, 2020, 12:04 am Why didn't they come there 20 hours ago instead of just waiting, when it was clearly seen that the eaglet was seriously injured? :slap:
That's what I ask me too since yesterday.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Sue

Post by Sue »

Birdfriend wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:55 pm That's what I ask me too since yesterday.
Me too :cry: .

I do not get that the nature lovers let the poor E14 bleed to death just before their eyes :slap: . I cannot forgive it. After watching bird nest cams for several years I have come to the opinion that the camera itself is an interfence and that it should be balanced by responsibility of the people and that in such cases like this one it should be helped. Why? Because it is human. I know that they had many reasons (danger, dark, permission, you name it) but everything goes when there is a will. Now the same people share their memories, lovely pictures and remember him ...

E14 was special for us and I am very very sad about this event.

Thank you very much to all of you for sharing actual info, comments, thoughts :wave: .
asteria

Post by asteria »

Birdfriend wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:55 pm That's what I ask me too since yesterday.
And there is no answer and never will be. :cry: No answer and no excuse.

By the way I don't think Harriet consumed E14, maybe she tried to remove that broken feather and thought E14 becomes alive. Because the eaglet looked intact when taken out of the nest.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Sue, asteria many thanks for posting your thoughts, for me it's a shame, that they not helped him.
His injury was clear to see during daylight, they observe the nest 24 hours day by day during nest season.
And they interfered also some years ago to rescue E8, so where is the difference here?
By the way, E14 had not must cruel bleed out...
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Sue

Post by Sue »

Birdfriend wrote: January 17th, 2020, 6:06 pm ...
His injury was clear to see during daylight, they observe the nest 24 hours day by day during nest season.
And they interfered also for some years to rescue E8, so where is the difference here?
By the way, E14 had not must cruel bleed out...
I totally agree, Birdfriend :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

January 18

A Pileated woodpecker appears around 8:55 AM :D

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Yesterday evening
Bonding

Solo

Post by Solo »

January 21

CROW Removes Precious E14 H & M Protect Their Area From Intruder 01-15-20 https://youtu.be/FvOK0m1qIRE (by
wskrsnwings)

Remembering E14 https://youtu.be/Tp4W5noQCrc (by Lady Hawk)

Return to “Eagles”