Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2020

Bea

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2020

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

5. July

I started recording at 10:55 and saw no osprey on the nest since then, but didn´t check what was earlier and neither know about calls of ospreys
But there are countless ants on the nest and take care of the leftover piece of fish

11:10
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Poliff

Post by Poliff »

I'm very sorry for everyone. Miina and Marko are my favorite osprey family. The most loyal and calm of all.
It is a pity that there are no chicks left this year. :faint:
Smile, you're being filmed by a hidden camera!
SWRural

Post by SWRural »

What is the breeding situation in Estonia? How many breeding pairs are there believed to be present? Thanks if anyone knows.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

SWRural wrote: July 5th, 2020, 2:36 pm What is the breeding situation in Estonia? How many breeding pairs are there believed to be present? Thanks if anyone knows.
The productivity (number od chicks per breeding pair) of the Estonian osprey population in the 1990s was twice as high as what scientists believe ensures the survival of the species and the number of breeding pairs has been increasing since (5 breeding pairs in 1985, 50-55 breeding pairs in 2005 and 90-100 breeding pairs today). Productivity has stabilized in recent years.
viewtopic.php?p=749396#p749396
Bea

Post by Bea »

SWRural wrote: July 5th, 2020, 2:36 pm What is the breeding situation in Estonia? How many breeding pairs are there believed to be present? Thanks if anyone knows.
Numbers from Estonia: osprey 90-100 breeding pairs, goshawk 400-600 breeding pairs. In 2019. we estimated that approximately 79 osprey chicks fledged in Estonia.

viewtopic.php?p=748987#p748987
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
SWRural

Post by SWRural »

Thanks @Hellem. So the artificial nests are still needed until the magic 150 pairs level is reached, I assume. The YT images for the nest forum you have linked to is unavailable I understand, due to malicious complaint to YT. Will it take long before reconnection do we think?
SWRural

Post by SWRural »

Thanks also @Bea. With a production success rate of 79 fledglings from 90 -100 nests it would appear that conditions are tougher than (for example) the Welsh nests I am following at Dyfi and Glaslyn, where double that success in recent years has apparently been achieved. Of course without knowing which predators have been involved in Estonia, we can't necessarily blame it all on Goshawks, although losing these three in 24 hours was an egregious event, to be sure.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: July 5th, 2020, 2:48 pm Numbers from Estonia: osprey 90-100 breeding pairs, goshawk 400-600 breeding pairs. In 2019. we estimated that approximately 79 osprey chicks fledged in Estonia.
viewtopic.php?p=748987#p748987
SWRural wrote: July 5th, 2020, 3:39 pm Thanks also @Bea. With a production success rate of 79 fledglings from 90 -100 nests it would appear that conditions are tougher than (for example) the Welsh nests I am following at Dyfi and Glaslyn, where double that success in recent years has apparently been achieved. Of course without knowing which predators have been involved in Estonia, we can't necessarily blame it all on Goshawks, although losing these three in 24 hours was an egregious event, to be sure.
I made a mistake with my wording earlier. The numbers from year 2019 are:
Controlled nestingsites: 91
Active nests: 54 (we don't know the location of all the nests!)
Successful nests: 36 (success rate 69%)
Number of chicks: 79 (productivity 1,53)

In addition to goshawk we've had a few cases where brown bear has climbed to the osprey nest. Predators are considered as a minor danger for the ospreys. Main problems are related to nestsites, e.g forest cutting near unknown nests or storms destorying the nests.
sova

Post by sova »

Good day
Triin wrote: July 5th, 2020, 5:06 pm I made a mistake with my wording earlier. The numbers from year 2019 are:
Controlled nestingsites: 91
Active nests: 54 (we don't know the location of all the nests!)
Successful nests: 36 (success rate 69%)
Number of chicks: 79 (productivity 1,53)
:hi: Triin .... thanks for your effort and the info. I just want to understand it correctly;
91 nests were inspected, of these 91 nests only 54 were occupied (Fischaler were on the nest).
Of these 54 nests, there were only 36 nests with young ospreys.
In total there were 79 chicks (probably with ringing) but ... did these 79 chicks also successfully fly out?
Our UH was killed by hawk last year after he got the ring.

So I'm not a math genius but it doesn't look too promising ..
Triin

Post by Triin »

sova wrote: July 5th, 2020, 5:57 pm Good day

:hi: Triin .... thanks for your effort and the info. I just want to understand it correctly;
91 nests were inspected, of these 91 nests only 54 were occupied (Fischaler were on the nest).
Of these 54 nests, there were only 36 nests with young ospreys.
In total there were 79 chicks (probably with ringing) but ... did these 79 chicks also successfully fly out?
Our UH was killed by hawk last year after he got the ring.

So I'm not a math genius but it doesn't look too promising ..
We visit nestsites only once per year, so I cannot say that all 79 chicks fledged (55 of them were ringed). As we know, some of them definitely didn't make it.

Trying my hand with math :dunno: 91 nestsites meaning 91 breeding pairs. So, 54 occupied nests means that we have roughly 37 pairs whose breeding result is unknown. If they had the same success rate as the known pairs, then we had around 134 chicks in total last year.
sova

Post by sova »

thank you very much, Triine
pirkkokn

Post by pirkkokn »

This year it has been quite sad in many nests: no chicks, falling off the nest, goshawk attacks, starvation etc. Let us hope better for next year. Pirkko
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. (Lao Tsu)
sova

Post by sova »

I would like to know who was on the nest yesterday? ... Was it Miina? ... then what about Marko?
Isn't the Marko * in mode * to bring fish? ... Wouldn't it appear on the nest at least once?
I am worried about the two of them ... and then I keep feeling like I hear the little one call when fish have been brought ... I think I'm crazy.

Good night
asteria

Post by asteria »

pirkkokn wrote: July 5th, 2020, 9:54 pm This year it has been quite sad in many nests: no chicks, falling off the nest, goshawk attacks, starvation etc. Let us hope better for next year. Pirkko
Without help of humans the situation can only change to worse. Sad that people are still unaware of it.
sova

Post by sova »

06. Juli

Good morning to all

Unfortunately no Miina and no Marko!
I hope we haven't lost Marko too !
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

sova wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:15 am 06. Juli

Good morning to all

Unfortunately no Miina and no Marko!
I hope we haven't lost Marko too !
Sova! I think that Marko arrived in the evening. Look at the video from Bea. When landing, the mark under the wing is barely visible, as in Marko...although I may be wrong and it won't change anything...I hope that Marko and Miina have moved away from here to a safe place for them.

I watch the video again and again...after all, this is Miina.
sova

Post by sova »

Gavril wrote: July 6th, 2020, 8:39 am Sova! I think that Marko arrived in the evening. Look at the video from Bea. When landing, the mark under the wing is barely visible, as in Marko...although I may be wrong and it won't change anything...I hope that Marko and Miina have moved away from here to a safe place for them.

I watch the video again and again...after all, this is Miina.
Hello Gavril ... yes, it was Miina and not Marko
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

9:34. It seems all the birds are silent, hiding and hiding their Chicks from the hawk.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Gavril wrote: July 6th, 2020, 9:34 am 9:34. It seems all the birds are silent, hiding and hiding their Chicks from the hawk.
The goshawk has nothing to do with that. More likely, birds are quiet because it is not the season for choosing mates, building nests and letting others know which territories are occupied. July, August and so forth are always quieter than the spring.
sova

Post by sova »

Mr. Urmas, Triin, Bea ....
Please tell us what happened here!

There was no transmission but the camera recorded the whole thing. So, must she have the data (or am I wrong?)
We spent every free minute here with this nest (it is not about our time). We wrote everything down, documented it ... every pairing, every branch, twig ... every lichen supply ... dry grass ... every fish ... really everything. We were there with heart and soul, not only this year. It can't end like this without annual information.

I am not an ornithologist .... I do not know the possible scenarios .... Is it normal that the adults (parents) no longer come to the nest? It was very different with Teo and Vita. Could Marko have died too?
Why don't we hear Miina calling for fish, Vita still does. Have you given up the nest, has anything like this been observed?
This uncertain is unbearable .... Please, explain to us.

I hope you don't find me rude but there are many questions that burn on the soul.

Thanks a lot in advance....

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”