Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2020

PietHoane

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2020

Post by PietHoane »

I can only agree with the people who are now for allmost 2 days waiting for some info / an update, what happened on saterdayafternoon. Is that such a big thing, a few words?? We're all sad for what happened and in need of some explanation! Thank You!
Triin

Post by Triin »

sova wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:30 am Mr. Urmas, Triin, Bea ....
Please tell us what happened here!

There was no transmission but the camera recorded the whole thing. So, must she have the data (or am I wrong?)
We know as little as you, I'm afraid. No server support from EENet from this season and thus no recordings when the YT link is down. The most probable reason is that the goshawk took the third chick as well.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I am not an ornithologist .... I do not know the possible scenarios .... Is it normal that the adults (parents) no longer come to the nest? It was very different with Teo and Vita. Could Marko have died too?
Why don't we hear Miina calling for fish, Vita still does. Have you given up the nest, has anything like this been observed?
Sova, I feel your pain.

Both the Male and Female Osprey will abondon a nest once they realise that all the chicks have gone. It's to late to start again, so they will leave the nest. There is nothing for them to do, their job is done for this year and will now fend for themselves as individuals. They may even migrate early.

A Goshawk would not take on an adult Osprey in fear of injury, too much risk. They will take chicks though as they cannot defend themselves. Marko & Miilna will be fine they are expericence birds and know how to survive.

As hard as it is, this is nature. This is a daily occurrence worldwide, life and death go hand in hand it's mother natures way.
Galina

Post by Galina »

I am also worried about Marko, I think he never showed up since the tragic day. But maybe they are still terrified? I don*t know.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Iggy wrote: July 6th, 2020, 11:17 am ....
Both the Male and Female Osprey will abondon a nest once they realise that all the chicks have gone. It's to late to start again, so they will leave the nest. There is nothing for them to do, their job is done for this year and will now fend for themselves as individuals. They may even migrate early.
Latvian Nest: Teo and Vita are still there (after goshawk has taken away the chick) For migration it's too early I think. There is no need to fly to Africa.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Liz01 wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:10 pm Latvian Nest: Teo and Vita are still there (after goshawk has taken away the chick) For migration it's too early I think. There is no need to fly to Africa.
Yes :nod: and Teo, as her devoted servant, continues to provide Vita with fish (the only chick was taken by Goshawk on June 18):
viewtopic.php?f=98&p=749447#p749447
Bea

Post by Bea »

There was no transmission but the camera recorded the whole thing. So, must she have the data (or am I wrong?)
We spent every free minute here with this nest (it is not about our time). We wrote everything down, documented it ... every pairing, every branch, twig ... every lichen supply ... dry grass ... every fish ... really everything. We were there with heart and soul, not only this year. It can't end like this without annual information.

I am not an ornithologist .... I do not know the possible scenarios .... Is it normal that the adults (parents) no longer come to the nest? It was very different with Teo and Vita. Could Marko have died too?
Why don't we hear Miina calling for fish, Vita still does. Have you given up the nest, has anything like this been observed?
This uncertain is unbearable .... Please, explain to us.

I hope you don't find me rude but there are many questions that burn on the soul.

Thanks a lot in advance....

Hello sova,

the local nest camera has no kind of internal memory chip where stream is stored, stream goes direct way to YouTube and is shown there. One can usually rewind 12 hours past from the stream on YouTube, which is stored on their own internal servers. But they can store only stream that arrives there. Camera failed completely, so nothing arrived on YouTube, to stream live and being stored on their internal servers.

My personal opinion is, that the Goshawk took also the third ospret away and is based on the fact, that it took the first two away and that this is the most likely scenario. But I have no proof that it definitely was so.
I assume that the attack was equal/similar to the two previous ones. We had seen that Miina went after the Goshawk, but she could not avoid anything.

Camera was off for nearly 5 hours. Lots of things can happen during 5 hours. In case the Goshawk took the last ospret away not long after the camera started to fail, Marko or Miina could have been on the nest already for many times, with fish, without fish, who knows this. IF it was so, then it would explain that they didn´t visit the nest (or only one time) since the live stream was back. No more osprets on the nest, no more fish needed to feed someone.
That Vita and Teo in Latvia behave different is no rule for me that Marko and Miina have to do the same.

But it stays all guesswork, as nobody could observe anything.

It is much easier to have an empty-nest-syndrome when osprets have fledged successfully and left for migration, that´s the "normal" way --- but nothing helps, everyone has to learn to cope with the actual different situation.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
sova

Post by sova »

Bea wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:30 pm ...
It is much easier to have an empty-nest-syndrome when osprets have fledged successfully and left for migration, that´s the "normal" way --- but nothing helps, everyone has to learn to cope with the actual different situation.
... you are right, Bea .... that's so ....
Many thanks!
sova

Post by sova »

Here are my summaries of this season if anyone cares ...

sova

Post by sova »

The minutes in the right corner are minutes Marko spent on the nest ... how long he brooded (not counting every day, just a few to get an overview)

sova

Post by sova »

sova

Post by sova »

July, summary on page 254
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Dear sova :hi: , thank you very, very much for the summary, it's great :2thumbsup:
Galina

Post by Galina »

thank you sova!
balistar

Post by balistar »

Bea wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:30 pm .....
That Vita and Teo in Latvia behave different is no rule for me that Marko and Miina have to do the same.

Hello Bea :wave:

To avoid misunderstandings:
I only reported that Teo continues to provide Vita with fish. That was just a statement, what we could observe on the Latvian stream. In the meantime there are even matings / mating attempts. That shouldn't be an expression of the fact that it has to be that way. I don't see it also as a rule that a nest must be abandoned as soon as there are no chicks left in the nest.
I have now learned from this different behaving that individual birds/couples also act individually.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Sova many thanks to you :bow: .
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Hi balistar :hi:

No misunderstandings at my side, why should there be some?

I quoted, referred and answered to sova´s post ....

I agree about the individuality of different birds and especially couples :nod:

balistar wrote: July 6th, 2020, 2:16 pm Hello Bea :wave:

To avoid misunderstandings:
I only reported that Teo continues to provide Vita with fish. That was just a statement, what we could observe on the Latvian stream. In the meantime there are even matings / mating attempts. That shouldn't be an expression of the fact that it has to be that way. I don't see it also as a rule that a nest must be abandoned as soon as there are no chicks left in the nest.
I have now learned from this different behaving that individual birds/couples also act individually.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

sova wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:30 am ......
We spent every free minute here with this nest (it is not about our time). We wrote everything down, documented it ... every pairing, every branch, twig ... every lichen supply ... dry grass ... every fish ... really everything. We were there with heart and soul, not only this year. It can't end like this without annual information.
That's why I feel like I've lost the little world I've been living in for two months.
Thank you, Sova, for a thorough summary of the unfinished season. In the table, this looks impressive (477 minutes Marko).

I remember Piret Madis, who left the nest after the failure of 2013. They visited the nest several times during the summer. However, in the following 2014 season, they nested in another nest, never returning to their native one.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Bea wrote: July 6th, 2020, 3:04 pm ☼ ☼ ☼

Hi balistar :hi:

No misunderstandings at my side, why should there be some?

I quoted, referred and answered to sova´s post ....

I agree about the individuality of different birds and especially couples :nod:
Thank you, Bea :wave:

May i ask a question to you as an Osprey expert, even if it does not belong to this nest ?

On the Latvian nest we observe since a few days, Teo very often pooping on Vita before mating.
This is so strange and no one of us ever have seen such a behaviour on an Osprey. I have already searched but found nothing about.
Do you know such a behaviour and/or do you have an explanation for that ?

If this question is absolutely wrong here, please excuse and tell me, where i can ask.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Ooohhh, I am not an expert and I have not the slightest idea about such a behaviour :laugh:

I only know this happening as an accident, most from osprets to one of their parents ...

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”