Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Anne7

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:51 pm
Hello Sova :hi:

Sorry for my late reply. I have not visited this topic as there have been no new data sessions for UDU. I really don't know, but yes, perhaps Ornitela knows something more about the current area of Udu. I hope Urmas finds time to ask them about it.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

July 15th

Today, Udu's transmitter tried to send data again.
But the last known location and time is still near Tiroungoulou, in the Central African Republic on 04.02.2022 at 16:49:04

I really hope that Udu's transmitter will one day be functional again.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you very much Anne :thumbs: for keeping track of Udu. This surely is a nerve-racking business.
Treia

Post by Treia »

Anne7 wrote: July 15th, 2022, 1:33 pm July 15th
I really hope that Udu's transmitter will one day be functional again.
I hope the same!

What could be wrong with Udu's transmitter? Is it badly wet or somehow defective? Could a similar unknown transmitter-fault also apply to Päike's and Julge's transmitters?
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

Treia wrote: July 16th, 2022, 6:37 pm I hope the same!

What could be wrong with Udu's transmitter? Is it badly wet or somehow defective? Could a similar unknown transmitter-fault also apply to Päike's and Julge's transmitters?
Hello, perhaps the problem could be in the transmitters attached to the legs of the storks. Then we would have hope for others. This year they got the original model again, hopefully it will have enough sun to charge and we will only get good news 👍
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

Please what transmitter did Paike have? :unsure:
sova

Post by sova »

bigfan wrote: July 21st, 2022, 10:24 am Please what transmitter did Paike have? :unsure:
:hi: bigfan... Paike had backpack (transmitter on back)
bigfan

Post by bigfan »

sova wrote: July 21st, 2022, 1:51 pm :hi: bigfan... Paike had backpack (transmitter on back)
Thanks sova... :unsure:
Treia

Post by Treia »

bigfan wrote: July 21st, 2022, 10:22 am Hello, perhaps the problem could be in the transmitters attached to the legs of the storks. Then we would have hope for others. This year they got the original model again, hopefully it will have enough sun to charge and we will only get good news 👍
Thank you bigfan and sova!

I don't know about transmitter faults,
but let's hope for hope!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

August 4th

Hello everyone :hi:

We received good news from UDU :headroll:

Ornitela was able to determine that Udu's transmitter tried to send data from Turkey until 29 June. Next, on 5 July there were a few connections from Bosnia and Herzegovina and since 14 July Udu is reported to be in northern Italy, between Milan and Turin.

Urmas writes to us:
... As far as I understand, Udu is located somewhere between the mountain valley villages of Cossato and Valle Mosso. Nearby are several reservoirs and perhaps a few streams. Although it is an extremely dry year in northern Italy.
The solar panels of Udu's transmitter seem to be dirty and there is no power (empty battery) to transmit exact locations. Let's hope the transmitter will be washed in deep water soon ...

Many thanks to Ornitela and Urmas!

Valle Mosso is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Biella in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 75 kilometres northeast of Turin, 85 kilometres northwest of Milan and 9 kilometres northeast of Biella. (wikipedia)
Cossato is a municipality in the province of Biella, Italy, in the northwest part of Piedmont, 11.6 kilometres east of Biella. It has a population of about 14,804 and it spreads over an area of 27,74 km², which makes it the second largest town in the Province of Biella. It is crossed by the Strona di Mosso stream. (wikipedia)

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

A closer view on the Valle Mosso area
Let's hope there is still water and fish in these numerous little mountain streams.

Strona di Mosso Valley (in Italian Valle Strona di Mosso or, simply, Valle di Mosso) is a valley in north-east of Piedmont in the Province of Biella, Italy.
The valley starts from the mountains where it meets with Cervo Valley and Sessera Valley; going southwards it encompasses a wide, hilly area and ends near Cossato a little before the confluence of the Strona in the Cervo.
Besides Mosso and Valle Mosso, other municipalities of the area are Cossato (a town which lies in the main valley near its exit on the Po plain) and Bioglio, Callabiana, Camandona, Crosa, Lessona, Piatto, Pettinengo, Quaregna, Ronco Biellese, Selve Marcone, Soprana, Strona, Ternengo, Trivero, Vallanzengo, Valle San Nicolao, Veglio, and Zumaglia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strona_di_Mosso_Valley

"The highest part of the valley"
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Finally some good news, I'm very happy that Udu is doing well. :rolleyes: It's just a pity that he doesn't think much of the Higyene. :mrgreen:
Thank you Anne
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello Sova :wave:
Yes, Udu really needs to wash her/his legs thoroughly. :D

It is so amazing what little Udu has achieved so far.
After flying across the Mediterranean Sea, s/he has crossed the entire Sahara desert.
What a strong storklet!

Udu's autumn migration

In blue the only very approximate locations we know of Udu's spring/summer migration.
Again, Udu flew quite a bit further west than what we usually see.

This very long pathway was really stunning!
— Irene Pepperberg
juliaR.

Post by juliaR. »

Such good news that little UDU is still alive!!! :loveshower:
Nala

Post by Nala »

This is good news again, little Udu. Hopefully we will see him again here Estonia. :loveshower: :headroll: :loveshower:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

August 8th

:hi:

Good news again! :headroll:

UDU's transmitter sent 1 single location point to OrniTrack.
It was a very long time ago that Udu's transmitter sent an exact location. (That location was near Tiroungoulou, in the Central African Republic, 04.02.2022 at 16:49:04)

UDU spent the night of 6 to 7 August between Cossato and Rovasenda in northern Italy.

Here we can see the OrniTrack image.
It looks as if Udu flew this straight route, but of course s/he did not. OrniTrack simply connects the last known location points, in this case from the Central African Republic straight to northern Italy.

Here is a zoomed in view in northern Italy.

Somewhere within this circle, near Rovasenda, Udu spent the night of 6 to 7 August. As we do not know whether Udu regularly returns to the same night area, for security reasons I prefer not to indicate the exact location.

— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Rovasenda
Rovasenda is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Vercelli in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 70 kilometres northeast of Turin and about 25 kilometres northwest of Vercelli. As of 31 December 2020, it had a population of 9,025 and an area of 29.3 square kilometres .
The territory of the comune of Rovasenda is enclosed in the alta pianura vercellese (high plain of Vercelli, also known as Baraggia). The land is levelled, with a slight inclination from north to the south. Its altitude varies from 259 to 199 m above sea level.
The comune's territory comprises the Rovasenda stream as well as the Marchiazza stream, which marks part of its eastern boundary. Numerous irrigation canals supply the surrounding rice paddies with water; among these, the Roggia del Marchese (also known as Roggia Marchionale) is the most noteworthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovasenda

© Vista Castello dalla Baraggia; http://www.comune.rovasenda.vc.it

The Rovasenda stream
The Rovasenda is a 38 km long stream (torrente) of Piedmont, in north-western Italy. It's a left side tributary of the Cervo which flows through the provinces of Biella and Vercelli.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Rovasenda_(stream)

© Wikiwand

The Marchiazza stream
The Marchiazza is a 34 km long stream (torrente) of Piedmont. It is formed in the eastern and hilly part of the Alpi Biellesi from the confluence of several streams; the longest of them is named Rio della Moja and has its source on the southern slopse of Cima Frascheja (625 m, municipality of Sostegno). The Marchiazza flows close to the village of Lozzolo and comes out of the hills entering the Po plain. In the territory of Gattinara it receives the waters of its main natural tributary named Rio della Marchiazzola. Heading south in crosses the Baraggia heathland and then the paddy fields (fields where rice is grown) of the province of Vercelli.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchiazza

© Marchiazza creek near Lozzolo; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marc ... ozzolo.jpg
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

To give you an idea of what the area looks like, a few images within the red circle where UDU spent the night of 6 to 7 August.
These street views are from May 2019, so it is likely that it will be a lot less green there at the moment, especially given the exceptional drought this year.

In this image we see the mountains in the distance

These are probably rice fields.

The road to Rovasenda

I think UDU is in a good area.
Moreover, Udu is a smart and strong juvenile BS, and I think s/he will find several good feeding places.

Especially when I look at the google images of the nearby reserve "Parco Naturale delle Lame del Sesia" (Natural Park of the Lame del Sesia).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Parco ... 7?hl=en-GB

Or when I visit the website of all nature reserves in Udu’s wide area
https://www.parcoticinolagomaggiore.com/it-it/home

Here are a lot of pictures of the "Natural Park of the Lame del Sesia"
https://www.parcoticinolagomaggiore.com ... sesia?foto

Unfortunately Italy is facing the worst drought of the last 70 years. For weeks, the water level of the river Po, the country's main river system, has been so low in some areas that old shipwrecks are resurfacing. I don’t know how the current situation is in Udu’s area.
— Irene Pepperberg
Treia

Post by Treia »

August 9th

Thanks for the good news from Italy... So Udu has done the job we hoped for and cleaned the sands of Sahara from his/her transmitter.
:loveshower:
Francesca_V

Post by Francesca_V »

Thank you Anne!
Great to see where Udu stays now.
The Piemont is not bad although they have lack of water. I hope Udu will find enough food.

Return to “Migration Maps and News”