Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2022

Post by Jo UK »

Swenja, yes, it does look more like net, than moss. What can it be?
ame

Post by ame »

Swenja wrote: August 10th, 2022, 7:06 pm Is that actually moss that Waba brought with him? :puzzled: or is that a net?

hhhm..? it looks like lichen. that's quite natural and normal in a forest like this. it's a sign of clear air. lichens don't grow well in polluted air.
i'm not worried about this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usnea
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Now it's gone. :laugh:

Thank you @ame!
Freedom!
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Yesterday there was not possible to bring fish into the baskets, but today at noon baskets were filled both. As much as our fish traps caught. All together about 150 fish. That is not much, maybe 3-4 portions. Karl needs to find those again if will look for fish, instead of frogs.
Askja

Post by Askja »

Jo UK wrote: August 10th, 2022, 3:59 pm Karl should teach the young ones how to find food in the natural environment.
Thanks Jo Uk. Obviously, yes. But I meant the camera, not that the feedings should go on then, of course. Even if the baskets are removed, Karl knows the places by now. He would certainly choose one of these areas if he were going to teach his chicks.
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Thanks for the info @Urmas.
Then it is up to Karl II to collect the fish. :nod:

edit: Karl II was supposed to guard the fish baskets.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Askja wrote: August 10th, 2022, 8:15 pm He would certainly choose one of these areas if he were going to teach his chicks.
However, that would not be good. The chicks need the natural feeding environment.
There are no fishing baskets for them heading south. Not that the youths are raiding fish farms. :unsure:
Freedom!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Askja wrote: August 10th, 2022, 8:15 pm Thanks Jo Uk. Obviously, yes. But I meant the camera, not that the feedings should go on then, of course. Even if the baskets are removed, Karl knows the places by now. He would certainly choose one of these areas if he were going to teach his chicks.
Thanks, Askja. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
olala

Post by olala »

As far as I know, storks don't teach their babies how to find food. They must find hunting grounds and learn for themselves. Karl can't show them the fish baskets. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas wrote: August 10th, 2022, 8:04 pm Yesterday there was not possible to bring fish into the baskets, but today at noon baskets were filled both. ...
Urmas, thank you very much for the information :2thumbsup:
I hope Karl will go there this evening :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: August 10th, 2022, 7:11 pm hhhm..? it looks like lichen. ´...
ame, I agree, it looks like lichen. :thumbs: Moss was ruled out after I had a closer look at it.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Two nights I spent at fish basket 2, to see directly, what happens there at baskets in mornings. According trail camera pictures it seemed that Kaia ate quite a lot from basket, but did not fly away from basket. Simply stood nearby and ate again. So she did not feed chicks so much as possible.
That initiated in my head the wish to try to trap Kaia, just before she starts migration. In first morning both Kaia and Karl were at basket together, even ate same time fish from there. They were not completely friendly, but not such hostile like against herons. It was a bit surprise for me. As I did not see, if Karl was there all the time or went away with fish - I did not release the trap, did not want to frighten both adults. So they ate all fish in basket by 6:30 and soon left both. So I bought next fish and went to sleep. Next night again to the basket 2, with fresh load of fish. In 7th Aug just before sun raise Kaia was alone at basket, ate few tens of fish and flew to the nest. Soon returned, stepped into basket and I did not hesitate to release a trap. So she was caught.
Together with (informed through phone) Madis, Margit and Ain we installed the transmitter and after hour and half Kaia was released. She flew about 1km of release place, stopped on retention tree and spent first day in that area, sometimes on trees and sometimes walking in stream. Think, to get rid of stress caused by close by humans after trapping. Though, her head and eyes were closed with help of special hood. Next day she behaved already normally, visiting more feeding sites. Probably for frogs.
Today, before noon Kaia started migration. In about eight hours she covered 350km and stopped for night in Belarus.
More information will be in migration map, if I can find time to update it.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas wrote: August 10th, 2022, 8:34 pm ....

Today, before noon Kaia started migration. In about eight hours she covered 350km and stopped for night in Belarus.
More information will be in migration map, if I can find time to update it.
woow! that is great :loveshower: :loveshower:

Urmas, thank you for the good news :2thumbsup:
Francesca_V

Post by Francesca_V »

Urmas, thanks a lot, this is great!
So we can know where Kaia will be.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

What a surprise! Thank you @Urmas, Madis, Margit and Ain :nod:

I wish Kaia a good flight and a healthy return!
Freedom!
Amanda777

Post by Amanda777 »

Ogo! :loveshower: :loveshower:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

21:06 feeding by Karl II
He brought frogs.

Did Karl II perhaps notice something about catching Kaia? Maybe he's avoiding the fish baskets now. Could it be? :puzzled:
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

21:29 night vision turns on

Feedings by Karl II:

09:00
11:36
16:38
21:06
Freedom!
Polly

Post by Polly »

Urmas is a rogue ... he can't stop himself. :laugh:

May there be a happy and safe time for Kaia. :innocent:

Jo wrote that it should be avoided that the young storks come into contact with artificial feeding aids.

For a long time I've been wondering if that was all right ... . Without human input and intervention, including the relocation of the chicks, everything might look different.
The chicks were brought to the first flight, albeit indirectly by artificial feeding stations.

And then?
They fly out and find inexperienced environment poor in food. They may start the migration weakly.
For me it has a bitter aftertaste. Like bridling the horse the wrong way round. A bad start ... .

I wish every living being its existence. For real.
But wouldn't it be better to first create a healthy foundation and then consolidate the stock?

There are areas where black storks find the best conditions. This area is repeatedly not! This experience is not new.

I don't judge but I have doubts. And worries what distress these young creatures will have.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Sabsy

Post by Sabsy »

Urmas wrote: August 10th, 2022, 8:34 pm Two nights I spent at fish basket 2...
:loveshower:

Thank you Urmas and Friends :bow:

I once wrote it here
that I believe that Kaia & Karl also meet and fish together...
this is the best season i have ever witnessed.
Everything works with a few hurdles, but then wonderfully.
There is much more communication and intelligence between the storks than meets the eye...

@Swenja, that could be that Karl noticed. He knows that from himself and didn't want to be caught again.

Let's hope that Karl goes fishing in the basket again and fills the children nicely.

Who knows whether Karl will teach the children something after all... if not he, then who? :nod:

I love this family, the wonderful people who work here - thank you all :bow:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”