Re: Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022, 2023

Post by Liz01 »

16:51 she is standing on the left

16:52 still there
16:53 after a few off-on-off-on she is away
Askja

Post by Askja »

Good evening All! :hi: Liz, thank you!

17:00-19:20 The owlets are doing what owlets do - which consists mainly of waiting for food. Apart from that, digging in the nest floor and sleeping are the next favorites. And watching their surroundings at all times.

19:09 owlet stretching its wings over head :)

19:20 Hanna lands on the lower big branch; probably she did not bring any prey (the stream is breaking every few seconds, details can easily be missed). The owlets have gathered in the pantry corner, though, as if expecting something to happen there. :)
19:25 Hanna flies away
19:45 The owlets are sitting in the middle of the nest together, looking around and yawning.

20:00 I think all three are sleeping.
20:26 I hear very briefly and very near Hanna and Hugo hooting at the same time. First I thought it might be part of the splash screen audio, but the owlets were all looking very attentively to the left. It took me several times scrolling through the broken stream to find out...
20:28 #1 is handling a mouse or other small rodent! Hugo must have brought it - via Hanna. But #1 does not eat it, he takes it to the pantry.

20:27/20:28 Owlets hear the parents - #1 has got a mouse or similar.

20:32 a raven can be heard. Meanwhile, #3 is trying to steal some food which #1 has been working at in the pantry. He earns himself some heavy pecks and beak clacking from #1.

20:33 While #2 is watching the forest, behind him, #3 tries with all his little might to steal a prey from #1 :D

20:35 is that really a raven? There's some hoarse croaking and wing flapping nearby.
20:59 the owlets are resting/sleeping together.
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Askja

Post by Askja »

21:45 the owlets are waking up. Apparently, something very interesting is under the roof - the two elder siblings are repeatedly looking up for several minutes. Looks funny, head tilted back and beaks vertically up. :D

21:19 It is hard to see in the picture but the two owlets in front are very interested in something happening at the ceiling

22:07 the owlets are quiet again, huddled up together. Still occasionally looking up to the roof. A big spider perhaps?
22:30 the owlets are wandering about in the nest box, with wing exercises and preening bouts.
22:51 night view comes on.

23:00 the owlet are sitting quiet again, just watching the forest and waiting for the food delivery service... the thrush nightingale is singing again, so lovely!
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Askja

Post by Askja »

00:37 Dear Hugo brings a medium sized prey for his owlets.

I think it was #1 again who got it - his already great wings are wrapped around the roof post.

Hugo flew to the lower big branch, rested there for a moment, then he took off.

00:39 there seemed to have been a squabble about the prey among the owlets but the stream gaps are so bad that I cannot tell what or who.
01:09 the owlets are now sitting quietly together again.
02:32 While one older owlet is busy eating from a previous prey Hanna arrives with a new one, medium sized as well. At least I believe it is Hanna. She then hops to the upper big branch and stays for a moment before flying off.

02:32 Hanna? delivers a prey
Askja

Post by Askja »

02:32 #3 has a big prey in front of him but cannot eat from it. So he sneaks over to that older sibling who is eating from another prey in the hope to get a bite too. But no such luck. This is the hard way to learn this lesson of The Wild - once you have secured your means of survival you don't allow anyone else at it.
02:56 two owlets are still pecking at something, #1 seems to be satisfied.

03:01 Hugo delivers a small prey. At least I think it is Hugo... I am amazed at myself that I have now difficulties to tell the parents apart. :slap: The context is now the same for both - while I always knew who sat on the eggs, now, at least by night, I need some sure-fire sign to identify the owl that delivers food in a hurry,

Good night! :wave:
03:05 :offtobed:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Askja, thank you :thumbs: Good Morning everyone :hi:

Askja, the calls at 20:35 was a mammal. marten , raccoon dog or another animal.
Thanks for mentioning that.I don't know who brought the prey either. Maybe after a liter of coffee? My distinguishing feature is the voice, but he/she didn't say anything.

video s of food deliveries, Description already by Askja
viewtopic.php?p=901690#p901690

Askja, I think it was Hanna.

3:05 That was Hugo, you pic from 27.5 shows it!

2:39 second pic. I can't say if that's 100% serious. we should have nighttime pictures of all the plumage on both. Right , left , front. ...
viewtopic.php?p=901571#p901571

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

5:30 a few crows are calling on the nest tree. Hanna comes in and is hooting
6:31 crows are flying around. I can see them
3:52 crows are still calling nearby. Hanna jumps on the right branch
5:56 Hanna flew away

6:56 owlets are resting. A crow is calling near.

I will add pics later.

I'm not feeling well today. I may need to take a break
rysx

Post by rysx »

May 28.
Early morning with a crow providing audio entertainment...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

rysx :hi: thanks for the video :2thumbsup:

7:43 owlets are up
8:15 one of them is having breakfast. The youngest is playing with nest material. it hopped through the nest like a hare. it always looks so cute :D
8:21 owlet is eating, visible for us.

8:26 a crow is calling. I think Hanna is sitting near. that are two crows

8:28 looks like the elder got his food to safety. #1 is now in the pantry
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

8:55 #1 is in the pantry. #2 & #3 are laying on the left and are snoozing

8:59 #3 is strtching out its wing

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

9:06 all are resting

I'm back.. the stream is :slap:

9:54

10:26

11:02 Owlet is having lunch
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:52 Hanna came home. Hanna came home I think because the crows are too near at nest and are calling

#3 is hissing hungry all time :sad: Hanna jumps on the right branch

16:57 Hanna flew away
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

15:57 owlets are in defending pose :innocent:

16:59

the youngest is hissing hungry. there are so many breaks, but I hear the hissing. I don't like it.
16:09 a owlet takes a small part prey and starts eating

the stream is still :bash:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:13 owlet is doing wingercises .. then the stream stops .. on off...

blurry pics thanks the jumping stream

16:14
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:18 a owlet is eating .. no idea who is it . too many breaks

16:25 every start- i hear crows calling nearby
16:26 calling crows
Askja

Post by Askja »

Good evening All! :hi: Liz, rysx, thank you for pics and vids! :thumbs:

18:44 two fluffbergs asleep and one fluffy mountain dozing :D

19:11 the owlets are waking up. #1 in the middle shows his pretty wing.

19:17 #1 and #3 engage in a game of beak-biting. Or is that kissing? Oh no, they haven't reached that age yet :D
Askja

Post by Askja »

19:19 It seems our owlets see/hear something. Then the stream is interrupted for abt. 2 min.

19:21 When the stream comes back I see #1 tackling a small prey, trying to swallow it, with difficulties. So, either a parent has been in, or he has got it from the pantry. It looks like a small rodent.

19:21

While #1 has the prey still in his beak #3 jumps into action - grabs the shorter end and pulls hard, and again, and once more. Of course he does not win, #1 is so much stronger. But I wonder how #3 will get on later in his life, when he tries such dangerous ways of food resourcing - it might not always end as benign as this here.

19:21 #3 playing tug-o-war with the prey in #1's beak :mrgreen: In the foreground #2 looking on.
Askja

Post by Askja »

20:20 Nothing much happened during the last hour. The owlets are sitting quietly together in the corner. There is a loud motor noise every few minutes like heavy military equipmet rolling on the nearby road. :evil:

But the noise is shortened by the terrible stream condition - again it is more off than on! :bash: I don't know how long my patience will last tonight...

To set the dot on the i, this new terror from YouTube drives me mad: the playback keeps jumping back to the beginning of the 12-hour-rewind period. So you have to waste a lot of time to find the point again where you have been before. Is there a remedy for that? I clear my browser cache often, I don't think the fault is on my side?

/rant(s) over :D
Askja

Post by Askja »

21:52

22:45

22:49 night view comes on.

23:38 The owlets are watching something in the forest
Askja

Post by Askja »

00:19 Just everyday nightlife for the owlets, no partying so far. :wink:

01:30 There has been no change in the nest for the last hour or so. The owlets are quiet but mostly awake. They are often watching into the dark forest, either it is interesting to them or they are actually waiting for a food delivery.
I have seen no parent since I started watching (around 17:00). This may be due to the million stream breaks. They may have brought ten mice and I would probably have missed them all if the owlets were quick to swallow them. But I can say with certainty that there has been no substantial food delivery. That would firstly take a bit longer to deliver, and secondly, the owlets would have something to work on for an hour afterwards. So we could not miss such a "great event".

Having said this... :laugh:
01:55 I think it was Hugo who just took off (after a stream gap). He has brought something that lies now as a black heap in front of the owlets. A corvid again?
01:55
01:55

Return to “Estonian Eagle Owl Nest 2022”