Black Stork Nest In Karula 2023.

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
tsang6482

Re: Black Stork Nest In Karula 2023.

Post by tsang6482 »

Some quick observations with #3...

1. Comparing to its oldest sibling, which hatched 52 hours earlier, the difference isn't that pronounced. This is good considering how #1 and #2 eat. But BS chick should grow around 10% in bodyweight a day anyways, according to academic research papers on this subject.

2. I give #3 an A for effort in its first feeding, all things considered. It was in the front, but got trampled. Yet it still managed to get something.

On another note, it seems that all 3 chicks developed an appetite quickly after hatching, when in general chicks don't need to be fed for up to 24 hours after hatching. #3 hatched around 20:33 last night, and "looks hungry" in 14-15 hours. #1 started eating in less than 12 hours. I don't remember about #2, but it was less than 24 hours. This makes me wonder if there was enough food in the yoke inside the egg.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

tsang6482 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 11:55 am This makes me wonder if there was enough food in the yoke inside the egg.
Hello @tsang6482 :nod:

Having the yolk sac food does not mean being full at the same time.
Once a chick has hatched and is presented with food, it will naturally start eating when it is able to. This is a basic need. Food also means liquid.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

12:08 feeding
#1 and #2 have eaten well.

#2 was the first to sit at the table and this time ate the most.

#1 sits on the left and still had food in his crop from the last meal.

#3 did not have an easy time eating. But I think he also got something.

#1 and #2 hardly differ in size. But you can tell by the sound. It's difficult to tell them apart quickly.
Freedom!
tsang6482

Post by tsang6482 »

Swenja wrote: June 4th, 2023, 12:08 pm Hello @tsang6482 :nod:

Having the yolk sac food does not mean being full at the same time...
Hello @Swenja

Thanks for the insight. The chicks' behaviour suggest to me that they're hungrier than expected so soon after hatching, and the yolk is only one of the things I think about as to why. If the chick isn't hungry, it won't beg, and won't go for the food.

That being said, I don't necessarily disagree with your insight. I'm not an expert. I'm just making observations based on the videos.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

#3 regenerated quickly overnight. You are right @tsang6482

This chick can also make a wonderfully long neck! When Karl II lays down food, the bigger parts stay above and the smaller food rolls into the nest trough. That way, the smallest one gets a bit of the meal better. The chick still has to stretch the neck.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

I haven't heard the fourth egg yet. Did someone hear egg talk?

Freedom!
asteria

Post by asteria »

I think I heard it in the morning.
balistar

Post by balistar »

tsang6482 wrote: June 4th, 2023, 12:26 pm ...... I'm not an expert. I'm just making observations based on the videos.
:hi: tsang,

There are no experts here in the scientific sense other than Urmas Sellis anyway, but members with more or less experience in observing, a few with great experience from many years and knowledge of provided information from books and scientific articles, which they are happy to share and we are grateful for.

So don't worry about not being an "expert", we are all learning from each other here, to a certain extent also by sharing our observations. This is what makes this forum so valuable and therefore any shared observations are very welcome.

So, thank you and everyone else for yours :D
Sabsy

Post by Sabsy »

Swenja wrote: June 4th, 2023, 11:10 am Hello @Sabsy :hi:
unfortunately Karl II cannot be with the chicks longer and feed them well at the same time.
Karl II is already the main provider of food.
If #3 becomes a reason that #1 and #2 cannot develop well, Kaia will definitely make a decision.
I don't want to write about a fourth chick, because it is still an egg.

But, we are not there yet and the worst will be thought of last please.
All observers wish a good and successful season.

We have to trust that the parents will do the best for their chicks. Whatever that will be.
Hello Swenja,
We know everything you write - I know it too.
What I think, I have carefully stated here - like all other stork friends do.
I didn't say it will happen.
I'm just scared, isn't it allowed to share that here?
I also testified if Karl feeds and No. 3 puts on weight quickly...
I don't know why various instructions have to be given here again and again regarding what one is allowed to think and when!?
You yourself wrote how Kaia treated No. 3 with the beak, I also watched your video afterwards - and then you say that you shouldn't think about it - really that's just not fair.
Then say here openly and honestly that apart from a few of the self-proclaimed circle, no comments are allowed to express here.
That makes me very sad right now, I didn't think anything bad about work and didn't say anything bad. It also has nothing to do with the translation program. That's a character style - not mine.
Ciao :wave:
Sabsy

Post by Sabsy »

brofasa wrote: June 4th, 2023, 11:11 am This is also what I am worried about. Kaia simply cannot find enough food, unlike Karl II, which might make her think there is less food than there actually is. She is simply looking at the wrong places, though.

She was very forceful with the chick. It was not a test for reflexes. In my opinion, she is seriously considering elimination.
Yes- Thank you for understanding my lines.
I see it the way you do, but it seems that one shouldn't discreetly share one's worries and thoughts here.
Every year you are somehow consciously approached, reprimanded, taught what to write and how to think.
I want to hope that this season we will not experience any bad events in this nest that I love so much.
Have a beautiful Sunday!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

13:57 Karl II gives food. But he doesn't have much.

Freedom!
asteria

Post by asteria »

Egg quacking can be clearly heard.
brofasa

Post by brofasa »

Sabsy wrote: June 4th, 2023, 1:57 pm Yes- Thank you for understanding my lines.
I see it the way you do, but it seems that one shouldn't discreetly share one's worries and thoughts here.
Every year you are somehow consciously approached, reprimanded, taught what to write and how to think.
I want to hope that this season we will not experience any bad events in this nest that I love so much.
Have a beautiful Sunday!
Thing is, one should never stop the expression of reality and our opinion regarding real observation on the forum.
Obviously one should never give animals human-like emotion, which I understand. But I do not understand the attempted shushing of reality...
The reality is, no matter how sad and tragic, is that Kaia is considering to eliminate #3, according to very real observation.
Yes, it is sad, yes one hopes it will not happen. But that is the reality at the moment.
Kaia is not evil for doing so. Kaia simply does what she thinks is best. The sad fact is that she simply cannot find enough food, like Karl II can, which warps her judgement. But that is just how it is.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Kaia finds another food, small fish and frogs. And fish from buskets as well.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Thank you @asteria. I hear now. 14:01

edit: if it's egg talk at 14:01. The egg doesn't seem to have an opening yet. :puzzled:
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

14:43 The chicks are hungry. Karl II has no more food.

Freedom!
balistar

Post by balistar »

Swenja wrote: June 4th, 2023, 2:17 pm .....
edit: if it's egg talk at 14:01. The egg doesn't seem to have an opening yet. :puzzled:
:hi: Swenja, i can't say with certainty, I have difficulties with distinguishing, it may also come from one of the three storklets. Last night until daybreak I was watching the restless Karl II, who got up every few minutes a felt thousand times. At one point i heard #3 "singing" twice briefly with a voice similar to little song birds, it was def #3, I saw it opening and closing its little beak. I never before heard such a sound from a little storklet :D Unfortunately I haven't noted the time, so that one could hear back.

I was also watching closely if I can discover any PIP or PIP-hole on the egg, but no, it only turned out to be a blade of grass or a speck every time. So, I for one, haven't seen any opening yet.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Thank you @balistar :nod:
Karl II moved the egg at 13:54. Unfortunately, he did not roll it over completely. But there was no hole to be seen.
The egg is wet and dirty. The egg shell appears uneven. Perhaps the eggshell is friable, but it is not clearly visible.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Camera transmission off

on

Freedom!
balistar

Post by balistar »

I remember in previous years we heard an egg talking when there wasn't yet any chick hatched and there was not yet any PIP or hole visible. Maybe it's possible even for us to hear egg-talk from a still closed egg or a possible opening was just not yet to be seen on cam view - idk :rolleyes:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”