Black Stork Nest in Karula 2020

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Swenja

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2020

Post by Swenja »

Hello Summi :hi:

For me this is definitely Karl II. :nod:

Karl II already showed changed behavior yesterday. I think, as @Anne :thumbs: wrote, that Karls II's hormones are now changed. I asked if maybe Kaia was already moving south and that was why Karl II behaved so differently yesterday. But it is certainly the hormones.

If Karls II hormone levels now change, the nest is no longer the absolute favorite. Karl II will prepare for the autumn migration, maintain plumage thoroughly, rest, eat well and observe the surroundings. There no longer seem to be any competitors to whom he has to tell that it is his nest. Because all black storks change hormones, nobody has to want the nest anymore until next spring. (fight for the nest)

Karl II came to the nest earlier without singing. Kaia was definitely still around and it was considered whether Karl II might have been sitting up in the tree and he wasn't singing because he had been there for a while. So it's not new.
Freedom!
Summi

Post by Summi »

Swenja, thank you. :wave:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello Tatiana60 :hi: nice to read you!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and videos.
Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

When Carl arrived this morning, I thought there probably wasn't much food here... The stork is standing with its feet in the wet ground, probably catching frogs, not its favorite fish.... Tell us what fishermen are saying now-is everything OK with fish catches in Estonia?

Yes, the stork seemed sad to me, not as cheerful as before. He is very emotional and we are all already reading it: he is preparing to fly and is worried... this is all natural.

Some interesting moments in the morning:
07:44:55
-Where are you going ? To a house with dirty feet? :rant:
- Oh, :slap: I'm Sorry, I came straight from hunting...

08:51:34
- Karl, what's that on your nose?
-Oh, these are flowers for you, Madame! :nod:

10:23:59
-Karl, where are you going?
-Forward, only forward! :arrow:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

:laugh: Tatiana60

His feet were so sticky this morning that moss stuck to them. It looked like moss slippers.
Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Swenja wrote: July 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm :laugh: Tatiana60 His feet were so sticky this morning that moss stuck to them. It looked like moss slippers.
Yes... the Slippers were beautiful... he always liked to shift from one foot to the other in his soft nest, and today he was chained to the soft bedding... What a soft nest he kept until the fall!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

14:07:48 He (Karl?) ran, picked up speed :wave: and....... !!!

14:07:49 suddenly he stop :shock: : "What's going on there? :puzzled:

14:08:06 He thought, thought again, and still flew, only his heels sparkled ...
asteria

Post by asteria »

Swenja wrote: July 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm :laugh: Tatiana60

His feet were so sticky this morning that moss stuck to them. It looked like moss slippers.
Those slippers were very well seen in the morning soon after he arrived. :mrgreen:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone :wave:

Thanks a lot for all wonderful observations, pictures and videos. :2thumbsup:
Swenja wrote: July 17th, 2020, 3:18 pm ...
For me this is definitely Karl II. :nod:

Karl II already showed changed behavior yesterday. I think, as @Anne :thumbs: wrote, that Karls II's hormones are now changed. I asked if maybe Kaia was already moving south and that was why Karl II behaved so differently yesterday. But it is certainly the hormones.

If Karls II hormone levels now change, the nest is no longer the absolute favorite. Karl II will prepare for the autumn migration, maintain plumage thoroughly, rest, eat well and observe the surroundings. There no longer seem to be any competitors to whom he has to tell that it is his nest. Because all black storks change hormones, nobody has to want the nest anymore until next spring. (fight for the nest)
I totally agree with all this, Swenja. :nod:

The breeding season is slowly coming to an end. The black storks that have storklets on their nests are still very busy finding food for them.
Most storklets will start their migration in the first half of August.
For the "bachelors" it is far too late to think about procreation or to fight for a nest.
Their reproductive hormones have now calmed down.
The hormone balance and metabolism is gradually changing, and migratory birds are starting to build up fat stores (under the influence of other hormones?). This body fat is used as fuel during long flights.

Obese super athletes: fat-fueled migration in birds and bats
"... Migratory birds are physiologically specialized to accumulate massive fat stores (up to 50–60% of body mass), and to transport and oxidize fatty acids at very high rates to sustain flight for many hours or days. Target gene, protein and enzyme analyzes and recent -omic studies of bird flight muscles confirm that high capacities for fatty acid uptake, cytosolic transport, and oxidation are consistent features that make fat-fueled migration possible. Augmented circulatory transport by lipoproteins is suggested by field data but has not been experimentally verified . ... "
https://jeb.biologists.org/content/221/ ... /jeb165753

Burning fat during migration
https://www.bou.org.uk/blog-straker-fat-burn-migration/

Understanding how birds rebuild fat stores during migration: insights from an experimental study
"...Mechanisms underlying fat accumulation for long-distance migration are not fully understood. ...
... Migratory animals need to adjust their physiology to accumulate high amounts of fat in preparation for migratory journeys. In these species, the ability to store and mobilize fat stores efficiently is essential. During the migratory cycle, birds experience different physiological states and fat compounds are mobilized (during fasting) or stored (during fueling or refueling). Migratory movements are mainly fueled by the oxidation of fatty acids (FA) stored in the form of energy-rich triglycerides (TAG) in adipose tissue, which is delivered to muscles by the circulatory system. Long-distance migration between breeding grounds, stopovers and non-breeding grounds is typically carried out in cycles of refueling at stopover areas and fasting while in flight or at stopover sites. ..."
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-46487-z
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello Anne :hi:
Thank you for the exact description. :thumbs:
The right hormones have a big impact on the formation of fat reserves. A great feat of birds in long-distance migration is needed.

Tatiana60 :nod: maybe Karl II needed extra fat frogs today and was therefore in the mud?
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

July 18th

Good Morning!

09:33:32 Good Morning Karl II :D He sings.

Karl II is looking around for now.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

He is resting. :rolleyes:

09:48 he loosens the nest material and checked the nest edge.

10:22 stretching

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Karl II watches the forest. It is so quiet today.

10:31 stretching 8-)

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

10:36 What are you doing there Karl II? :laugh:

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

11:29:52 Karl II flies away to left

Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Swenja wrote: July 18th, 2020, 11:30 am 11:29:52 Karl II flies away to left
Good morning, sentry! While I was talking to the translator, you managed to write down our thoughts... Did it seem to you that someone was near the nest and Carl was looking at it before he took off and flew out after it?
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello Tatiana60 :hi:

Maybe he saw something interesting? :puzzled:
It is very quiet in the forest today. Karl II watched the forest somewhat suspiciously today.
I think it's lunch and so Karl II flew to eat.
Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Swenja wrote: July 18th, 2020, 12:18 pm ... Karl II watched the forest somewhat suspiciously today...
Yes, he stared at the forest for a long time, theatrically putting his foot back.

Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

I find myself thinking that I've started taking a lot of photos that will help identify Karl 2 next year...

Here, for example, is a photo of him with two swords... :innocent: he can even wear them on his head :whistling:

or here: he's peeking through the peephole of the camera on my computer...:

there are secret photos of his legs, beak and even nostrils... there are even fingerprints
:gathering: we hope that he will return to us in 2021, and we will all meet and get to know each other.
HelenL44

Post by HelenL44 »

Swenja wrote: July 18th, 2020, 10:44 am 10:36 What are you doing there Karl II? :laugh:
I have often wondered if the camera has a reflective surface which can change with the light, so that perhaps Karl is seeing himself in the reflection?

Swenja's photo:
Helen S.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”