Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

ame

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland

Post by ame »

CyberKat wrote: I so agree with you Olga. Me and my boyfriend started watching that web cam when the chicks already hatched, and one day I noticed that injured leg... and the days went on... and it didn't look like it would be better or that anyone would do anything about it. On the day when Koo disappeared from the nest I was worried sick and started to google all around the net searching for some bits of info... that is how I came across this board, and I was keeping up with the sad story later on from your posts here... it was a bit of a comfort to learn that there are more people who are also worried so much about Koo. I just wish something was done for him before it was too late.

I thought about joining sooner bit didn't really had much to say, except that I am really glad I found you guys. Pore little Koo... we will always remember him. *hugs to all*

p.s. Canuck, the Jukka tracking is really interesting!
CyberKat, hi :hi:
can you by chance remember when was it that you noticed that one of the chicks was injured?
Hali

Post by Hali »

12.12.2009 9.16 :innocent:
CyberKat

Post by CyberKat »

Amy, I can't say that I do remember, but I just ran a search on my computer, and I found screencaptures I took on the day I noticed that there is something really wrong with one of the chicks, and it was August 15th - at least the image info says that it is created on that day, but if I moved it from my computer at work to my computer at home it may not be the exact date so I will have to check some photos that I have at my computer at work too, because I have some more screencaptures there as well. I also remember that few days earlier, before I noticed the broken leg (I have a screenchot of that too) we noticed that one of the chicks had his feathers kinda fluffed up, with eyes closed and didn't look to good. I was a bit surprised though when I read here on the forum that everyone knew that the leg was broken, long before I even noticed... so I'm afraid my info is not of much use.

Image Image
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hali wrote:12.12.2009 9.16 :innocent:
Thank you! I think this WTE looks like Serafina!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

That's one impressive-looking creature :headroll:

Well captured, Olga :thumbs:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Canuck wrote:That's one impressive-looking creature :headroll:

Well captured, Olga :thumbs:
Hi, thank, you,Canuck.. those captures were from Hali. :blush: I just commented that the WTE seems to be the female WTE we know, Serafina.. :peek:
I should have removed the IMG-links from my comment, I forgot, and now they are double pictures..

But anyway, good captures!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
ame

Post by ame »

CyberKat wrote:Amy, I can't say that I do remember, but I just ran a search on my computer, and I found screencaptures I took on the day I noticed that there is something really wrong with one of the chicks, and it was August 15th - at least the image info says that it is created on that day, but if I moved it from my computer at work to my computer at home it may not be the exact date so I will have to check some photos that I have at my computer at work too, because I have some more screencaptures there as well. I also remember that few days earlier, before I noticed the broken leg (I have a screenchot of that too) we noticed that one of the chicks had his feathers kinda fluffed up, with eyes closed and didn't look to good. I was a bit surprised though when I read here on the forum that everyone knew that the leg was broken, long before I even noticed... so I'm afraid my info is not of much use.
it's a shame there was no time stamp on the Hailuoto camera picture like there is in the Nauvo nest camera. thanks a lot, CybetKat. :wave:
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Olga wrote:. . . Hi, thank, you,Canuck.. those captures were from Hali. :blush: I just commented that the WTE seems to be the female WTE we know, Serafina.. :peek:
I should have removed the IMG-links from my comment, I forgot, and now they are double pictures..

But anyway, good captures!
Yes, of course, I wasn't paying attention :blush: :blush:
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Hail :wave: ... lovely captures :thumbs:
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

ame

Post by ame »

thanks Canuck for the Jukka-update map! :wave:
it really seems to be stuck in a very small area.
i checked the web page for satellite ospreys of the Finnish Zoological Museum:
http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/english/zoo ... er2009.htm
they say that they are going comment on Jukka's whereabout only if it should leave its wintering area the lake Lagdo.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

ame wrote:thanks Canuck for the Jukka-update map! :wave:
it really seems to be stuck in a very small area.
i checked the web page for satellite ospreys of the Finnish Zoological Museum:
http://www.fmnh.helsinki.fi/english/zoo ... er2009.htm
they say that they are going comment on Jukka's whereabout only if it should leave its wintering area the lake Lagdo.
You are most welcome, Ame :smile:

It appears Jukka has found some prime real estate for fishing and spending the winter months. That they haven't posted any updates is a good thing ... they continue to receive data from his GPS unit which shows good movement in a centralized location. So many ospreys perish during migration be it by predation or by humans. Fingers crossed and thumbs up that Jukka's information remains steady and positive; and before you know it he and other ospreys will be making their return trip ... can't be soon enough for me. :loveshower:
nuri945

Post by nuri945 »

in this moment

daniela
lbnorthrup

Post by lbnorthrup »

CyberKat and Ame: You were inquiring on when the injury was noticed. I went back to the home page of Koo's cam site and they were banded on July 14. That is when the bander noticed that Koo had an injury - which was made evident in a video showing him holding Koo with broken leg.....still gives me chills. Seems so long ago now. I'm cautiously looking forward to seeing Koo's parents nest again this spring - and hoping for a much more positive end result.....seems so long away. In the meantime, I will enjoy ma and pa in the Hancock nest when they stop by once in awhile. The WTE's you show occasionally are beautiful but definitely not a nest for them....hope they have figured that out.. Have a great day!
ame

Post by ame »

i was asking CyberKat the time or date when she/he noticed the injury because there was some debate here in the forum about the timing... i remembered that the injury was discovered when the chicks were banded. i was just curious whether she/he had noticed it earlier. (for some reason i seem to think that a cat is female, even though the one of our cats is male and the other female)
:nod: i perfectly agree with you about the WTEs at the Nauvo nest: it is far too small for them! :shock: i hope they themselves realize it in good time and begin to build a nest of their own. actually the eagle people in SW-Finland ought to build an artificial nest for them.
it is supposed that this is a young couple which has been rehearsing nesting so far but who still have been too young to lay eggs. i think they are getting old enough but they still don't have a place to stay. :unsure:
CyberKat

Post by CyberKat »

I understood why ame was asking this... probably because there was an issue if the chick was actually hurt during the process of banding or he was already injured at the time when it was discovered (and probably made even worse) during the banding.. at least I think that is what everyone were trying to figure out.

Either way I hope that the person who did the banding learned some lesson from this event. I have a couple of friends who are doing the bird ringing (usually on some smaller song birds), and during the few bird ringing camps I attended I learned that they do make mistakes, and that accidents do happen, but it is up to each ringer to hopefully learn from those mistakes and not to let it happen again.

I checked the dates again (on my computer at work), and still came to the same date. I think that it was hard to notice the chick's injury on the web cam because they were all sitting inside the nest and it became obvious to webcam observers that his leg is broken when they started to fly out of the nest and practice flying. Of course the people who were following the news over boards learned much sooner but at that time I didn't even know there was a board with info.

I am still regularly checking Lähikuva nest and I am jealous of you guys who always seam to catsh some WTE out there :wink: , most of the time when I check it is empty... I am also following the winter feeding of eagles at Store Mosse, very good webcam :2thumbsup:

[p.s. I am a "she" and Kat is short from my name - Katarina and not from Cat] :mrgreen:
lbnorthrup

Post by lbnorthrup »

I thought there was indicating that perhaps Koo's leg was injured in the nest as a really young chick....could be wrong. The nests look so uncomfortable and hard to get around in with all the criss-crossed branches. Not much bedding in the nest to help with balance and getting around. Certainly would make it easier on those young ones at least until they can get their footing. What is the site for the WTE's. The only photos I see are the ones that are posted here. It would be interesting to see them live or do they not use live stream for viewing? Best wishes for a very happy holiday season for all!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I agree with you about Koo's nest it looked like a place where damage could easily happen.

The home page http://www.looduskalender.ee/en has links to active cams -- nesting cams are not currently online. I think the WTE one goes online relatively soon (still a while to go though) -- so that they do not have to enter the area once nesting gets serious.
shshen

Post by shshen »

Happy New Year to everyone :loveshower:

Has anyone seen any current update on Koo's autopsy?
Jazzel26

Post by Jazzel26 »

shshen wrote:Happy New Year to everyone :loveshower:

Has anyone seen any current update on Koo's autopsy?
shshen, Happy New Year!! You would think they would have more information by now.

If they are hoping Koo will be forgotten and the issue will go away, they are very wrong. I wonder if there is something they don't want made public :puzzled:

JAZZEL

Return to “Osprey”