Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Jazzel26

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland

Post by Jazzel26 »

lbnorthrup wrote:Thanks to ALL of you for your updates on Koo....a day doesn't go by that I don't see the picture I printed of him/her in my spare bedroom - looking at those beautiful eyes. I tried to look at the site where the skeletal remains were just because that interests me but every time I clicked on the picture it flashed quickly and then disappeared. Are these photos restricted? Looking forward to seeing lots of activity in nests this spring. Enjoying the Norfolk Botanical Garden cam of eagles sitting on two eggs. Also, love to watch Hancock's Sidney eagles.....not sure I can watch the Halioto cam this year after last year's sadness but may try. I don't have that link anymore. Have a good one everyone! :wave:
I understand how you feel, but I will watch to make sure there isn't another KOO.

I won't post unless....But I will be watching.

JAZZEL
shshen

Post by shshen »

Thanks for your thoughts Ibnorthrup and Jazzel 26.

I have pictures of Koo, too. Hopefully this will not ever be repeated at Hailuoto!
lbnorthrup

Post by lbnorthrup »

ShShen: are the autopsy photos of Koo's bones restricted. Is there any way to post them to see where things went wrong.....I know verbiage was written - but I think it would be fascinating to see the skeletal structure of a osprey / falcon's anatomy......

Thanks for all you do at this site. Appreciate the valuable information provided.

Lynn :nod:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

lbnorthrup wrote:ShShen: are the autopsy photos of Koo's bones restricted. Is there any way to post them to see where things went wrong.....I know verbiage was written - but I think it would be fascinating to see the skeletal structure of a osprey / falcon's anatomy......

Thanks for all you do at this site. Appreciate the valuable information provided.

Lynn :nod:
This link which was posted earlier is a photo pf the skeleton. I did not find other photos but I would not swear there are not others.

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/saaksi/galle ... ranko.html
ame

Post by ame »

thanks Alice for looking up that address :wave:

the Nauvo camera is still off-line. i wonder how long it will take... i should think that there are also some people living there on the island whose data transmissions are disconnected, too, and not only this web cam. :puzzled: very bad service of the teleoperator... :rant:
shshen

Post by shshen »

Hi Ibnorthrup and Alice44

Sorry I haven't been actively checking in. Thanks Alice for your post. I don't think it would be wise to post the pictures without permission. Hopefully there is someone out there proficient in examining the photos and give us a better explanation of Koo's condition.
lbnorthrup

Post by lbnorthrup »

ShShen: thanks for getting back to me. I thought since they showed the skeletal remains on the examiner's link that perhaps they would share that information with those of us who were concerned about Koo - I wasn't asking to personally post. Just wanted to see what his/her skeletal struture was like from an educational standpoint. When you clicked on the photos they briefly appeared and then went away. I was thinking that perhaps it had something to do with my computer. I'm always interested in bird life and necropsy results as you can learn so much.....take care.

Lynn
alice44

Post by alice44 »

One of the links does nothing but the others seem to work for me. It occurred to me that I know someone who knows about bones -- not so much about bird bones but...
I might try showing her a couple of those images, however, she is very cautious and probably will not be willing to say much since she cannot hold them and look at all sides.
shshen

Post by shshen »

Thanks Alice44...it is worth a try. It is difficult to make an accurate analysis and I can understand why your friend is reluctant to make any comments.

:wave: Ibnorthrup...even in death, Koo continues to teach us, yes?
lbnorthrup

Post by lbnorthrup »

ShShen / Alice 44: Koo has opened my eyes to a lot of things. I think they are fascinating raptors and so powerful. I was simply amazed how big Koo was and his/her feet with the rehab center before they put Koo down....such a beautiful creature. I can see why they need such strong bones/ feet to support catching a fish and carrying it to a place to eat or serve up to little ones. I can never get enough education because of my experience this past year viewing eagles, falcons and osprey. They represent the best and worst of nature - freedom of flight / at the mercy of the elements and DNA that can rob them of a future.......thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos when you can.

:wave: Lynn
ame

Post by ame »

there is more news about the Nauvo osprey web camera. it says that there is no news :mrgreen: , i.e. "it is still unknown when the data transfer will be repaired.". that piece of information was dated February 11th, but the cam is still off-line. - i really hope they get the lines fixed soon. i bet Serafina and Hugo have already visited the nest, just like Linda ans Sulev have been checking theirs.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Jukka's staying put. Soon he will be heading out on his great migration north. May he and all ospreys have successful journeys and return safely to their nests :thumbs: I, for one, cannot wait :loveshower:

ame

Post by ame »

the data connection to Nauvo is stll down. :rant: it their web-page there isn't even any estimate when it'll be restored. :slap:
here is a little reminder how it will look there in about a month... :rolleyes: whether we'll be able to see it or not...
ame

Post by ame »

i sent e-mail to the Saaristomeri-board and asked about the status of the Nauvo cam. they answered that the connection is down because of reasons which are out of their control... it is not a camera problem but a problem with the data links and the teleoperator hasn't been able to repair the connection so far... they have had lots of difficulties, i was told. that gave me the impression that they are working on it and trying to find a way to mend the connection. hopefully we'll get the connection back soon, before the season opens. :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

the Hailuoto camera hasn't started yet either. i looked that last year it was opened on March 7th, so i guess that it could open any day now...
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

We now have two new topics, one for each of the two Osprey cams in Finland, for the 2010 nesting season.

Saaristomeri Archipelago Osprey cam - 2010 = viewtopic.php?f=26&t=196

Hailuoto-Marjaniemi Osprey cam - 2010 = viewtopic.php?f=26&t=197

I look forward to a successful season for the ospreys on the nests in these two beautiful locations!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I posted news about another webcam on an osprey's nest in Scotland but thought I would mention here, for the osprey fans!

viewtopic.php?p=64456#p64456
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Patsycat has sent me this link to the Hforum, about permission to post images from the Hailuoto nest. Still images can be posted but not videos. Please read all of it!
Of course, it is already posted here, on the Hailuoto topic, since 18th March.

Perhaps Ploughboy will visit us here, but it is quite clear anyway.
Thanks, patsycat, for the information.

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/vi ... 1877#31877
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Sorry to have been remiss :blush:

Jukka set off on his Spring Migration on March 23rd ... as of today - April 6th- he is Croatia :thumbs:

leonia

Post by leonia »

I looked at the cam for the first time this year today and saw the osprey sitting on the nest. Does anyone know when he did arrive?

Return to “Osprey”