Ospreys and Eagles in Finland ~ 2009 & 2010

Lucy

Re: Ospreys and Eagles in Finland

Post by Lucy »

:hi:
Between 13:35-13:42 one White-tailed Eagle visited in the nest. :loveshower:
However, it seems to me that it was neither Seraphina nor Hugo. :unsure: The bird looked like a younger individual, had darker feathers on his head and his tail wasn't white.

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

That young eagle looks like he has had 'troubles'. :unsure:
His feathers are very worn and scruffy. He must have had a hard time upto now. :dunno:
But he seems to be in the right place for finding food now. :thumbs:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Doesn't get much better than this ... unless, of course, we had ospreys too :smile:

Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Raven brought something into the nest . . .

:wave:
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Update on Jukka: he's pretty much keeping to this general area ... must be good fishing :thumbs:

:shake:
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Departed at 14:41.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: About Koo: There is now in saaristomeri some news of the autopsy of Koo.

http://www.saaristomeri.info/keskustelu ... e_id=55374

The nickname 'Hei' has in telephone got to know, that Koo was examined last week. later there will some more examinations, perhaps.

I'll put here first the news in Finnish, and just a bit later to translate it in English - eventually there is not much 'new' information. The leg was broken between the ankle and leg and the rest of the feet had turned 180 degrees. There was still seen traces of inflammation. The muscles were deminished due to the lack of motion and hunger.

Hei taas Koon ystävät!
Vilauksessa vierähti tämä pariviikkoinen. Koo oli otettu käsittelyyn kuluneella viikolla. Keskustelusta ilmeni
- ettei Koota ollut täytetty
- siitä oli otettu siipi - pyrstönäyte ja luut
- Vammautuneesta luun kohdasta näkyi vieläkin tulehduksen aiheuttamia jälkiä
-luu oli siis murtunut säären ja nilkan yhtymäkohdasta ja kääntynyt 180 astetta, mistä johtui varpaiden osoittaminen taaksepäin
- tässä kohden ei tietenkään tehty pidemmälle meneviä toiminpiteitä, vaan aineisto odottaa tutkijoita, kun sellaisen tutkimuksen paikka joskus ilmenee
- tällaiset vammat eivät ole tavallisia, mutta joitakin tapauksia on eteen tullut
- lihasten surkastuminen käytön puutteesta
- tästä syystä linnun oli viime päivinä ponnistettava lentoon ilman jalkojen antamaa tukea
- aliravitsemus
- sukupuolta oli tutkinut useampikin henkilö, mutta varmuutta asiasta ei saatu

Translation with help of google:

Hello, friends of Koo!
Two weeks have gone fast. The telephone discussion revealed that
- Koo has not been stuffed
- one wing and part of the tail have been saved - and bones
- on the injured bone was still seen traces of infeccion
- the foot was broken between the leg and ankle, it turned 180 decrees so that the toes were in a wrong position, backwords.
- the throughout examitation of the remainings were not done this time, but it will happen later when it appears need to know more
- these kind of injuries are unusual, but some cases like this there has been
- the muscles were deminished be cause of lack of motion
- this was why at last the bird had to 'jump' flying without help of feet
- the bird was malnurished
- several persons researched the bird but the genre is still not known.

sad, so sad.. :cry:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Jazzel26

Post by Jazzel26 »

Olga :wave: thank you!!! Waiting for the english translation :loveshower:

JAZZEL
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Olga, thank you.
Nothing new, really, but the hunger and the fracture is "official" now.
Poor Koo. It could have been different.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

thank you, Olga, for the translation.

A sad story, and although it does no good now, I wonder how that fracture happened (sometimes, an accident in the nest).
shshen

Post by shshen »

Thank you Olga for the information

Definitely sad :cry: Awaiting your translation.

Miss Koo!
Jazzel26

Post by Jazzel26 »

Olga's english translation is now included in her original post above.

Thank you Olga :bow: Let us know if you find out more.

JAZZEL :cry:
edgysu

Post by edgysu »

Olga -- thanks so very much for sharing the news of Koo and for the translation. I've been watching this site regularly for updates. Nothing we could have heard changes anything at this point, but I'm glad to hear that someone is at least researching the issue of our dear Koo. Hopefully, this world-wide attention will help others in the future.

:peek: Hello to all and I hope you're having a fantastic day.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Thank you all for the comments about Koo. I am sure that all who watched the beginning of the life of this Osprey chick will never forget this case, the story of Koo in the year 2009 in Hailuoto, Finland. An injured bird don't show it's pain, but if it has a clear injury we can see, it's out duty to try to do something to help and not wait too long. I think Koo gave us humans a good lesson. I'm still sad, but.. yes... who has said that life is easy even though it is wonderful.. :faint:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Brit

Post by Brit »

Olga wrote::wave: Thank you all for the comments about Koo. I am sure that all who watched the beginning of the life of this Osprey chick will never forget this case, the story of Koo in the year 2009 in Hailuoto, Finland. An injured bird don't show it's pain, but if it has a clear injury we can see, it's out duty to try to do something to help and not wait too long. I think Koo gave us humans a good lesson. I'm still sad, but.. yes... who has said that life is easy even though it is wonderful.. :faint:
Right you are Olga! I still try to catch up Koos dramatic story. I didn´t find the start yet, but I am working on it!
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
CyberKat

Post by CyberKat »

Olga wrote: I am sure that all who watched the beginning of the life of this Osprey chick will never forget this case, the story of Koo in the year 2009 in Hailuoto, Finland.
I so agree with you Olga. Me and my boyfriend started watching that web cam when the chicks already hatched, and one day I noticed that injured leg... and the days went on... and it didn't look like it would be better or that anyone would do anything about it. On the day when Koo disappeared from the nest I was worried sick and started to google all around the net searching for some bits of info... that is how I came across this board, and I was keeping up with the sad story later on from your posts here... it was a bit of a comfort to learn that there are more people who are also worried so much about Koo. I just wish something was done for him before it was too late.

I thought about joining sooner bit didn't really had much to say, except that I am really glad I found you guys. Pore little Koo... we will always remember him. *hugs to all*

p.s. Canuck, the Jukka tracking is really interesting!
JudyB

Post by JudyB »

I would also like to express my thanks to olga, ame, macko50, Jo, Jazzel, and the many others who brought news and updates about Koo, Kaa and Yy - and who helped pass on information to people beyond the forum, so perhaps there will be changes made that might help other young osprey.

This is my first post - but I look in from time to time, and enjoy seeing all the information you gather here.

Thank you.
Jazzel26

Post by Jazzel26 »

JudyB :wave:

JAZZEL :loveshower:
Jazzel26

Post by Jazzel26 »

Brit wrote:Right you are Olga! I still try to catch up Koos dramatic story. I didn´t find the start yet, but I am working on it!
Brit

Try these links for Koo's life.

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewt ... rinefalcon

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/vie ... =3&start=0

JAZZEL

Return to “Osprey”