Post by Swenja »

Thank you for the video @ame :hi:

Today a crested tit and a great tit

Freedom!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

September 13

Good Morning !

9:02 Arrival of a bird! It flew from above onto Kaia's balcony and came into the nest

A grey headed woodpecker male ( Picus canus)

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

and off he goes

ZOOM & SLOMO
balistar

Post by balistar »

Beautiful little visitors :loveshower:
Thank you, ame, Swenja and Liz :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

wow! what a visitor! thank you Liz! :thumbs:
btw: when this woodpecker flew away he called quite in the same way in which the bird called today morning at the Durbe nest. Liz thought there that it might be a hawk's voice, but was a grey.headed woodpecker there, too.

i made a video of the great tit and the crested tit whom Swenja saw yesterday. there was also a willow tit talking nearby.
the crested tit has such a good camouflage dress that it took me some time before i saw her in Swenja's still picture.
pazi

Post by pazi »

Hi guys and gals!

Just wanted to post this picture pair. Both are taken from the recap and farewell videos.
You can see nesting takes quite a toll even on our super Karl II.
Let's hope he'll have a revigorating rest during the winter and I'll be seeing y'all here next year.

Spring Karl II

Autumn Karl II
Treia

Post by Treia »

:wave:
Thank you for the pictures!
But oh, our "little" Karl II ... in the autumn picture he looks so very tired. I'm not at all surprised that he gathered his strength in the Karula forest for quite a long time before he left for his migration. I hope he is doing now well there in his favorite stopover place in Ukraine!
ame

Post by ame »

thank you for the pictures of Karl!
the most prominent difference seems to be that in the spring his feathers are shining in all colours of the rainbow. in the autumn picture that glow seems to have gone and his feathers are dim and almost brown.

the shiny rainbow colours are not "real" colours, caused by pigments reflecting light of certain colours and absorbing all other wavelenghts. the rainbow colours are " ...a kind of structural colouration that is due to wave interference of light in microstructures or thin films."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence

this may be due to new feathers which have replaced and/or covered the old worn feathers. i guess that a similar thing happens with the feathers of storks as for example with the feathers of starlings (Sturnus vulgaris). they get new feathers in the moult in the summer and look dull and spotty. during the winter the feathers get worn and the iridescent surface of the feathers become visible. i guess that a similar thing happens with the plumage of storks. so actually the shiny feathers are probably the worn feathers and the dull-coloured autumn feathers are fresh. :laugh:
Florinda

Post by Florinda »

ame wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:54 am the shiny rainbow colours are not "real" colours, caused by pigments reflecting light of certain colours and absorbing all other wavelenghts. the rainbow colours are " ...a kind of structural colouration that is due to wave interference of light in microstructures or thin films."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescence

this may be due to new feathers which have replaced and/or covered the old worn feathers. i guess that a similar thing happens with the feathers of storks as for example with the feathers of starlings (Sturnus vulgaris). they get new feathers in the moult in the summer and look dull and spotty. during the winter the feathers get worn and the iridescent surface of the feathers become visible. i guess that a similar thing happens with the plumage of storks. so actually the shiny feathers are probably the worn feathers and the dull-coloured autumn feathers are fresh. :laugh:
Thank you for the information :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

13:25 a coal tit visited! :headroll: :laugh:
the coal tit (Periparus ater) looks like a mini-sized great tit, but the colours are "dirty" while the great tit is clean-yellow. if one sees them side by side one can see that the coal tit is much smaller than the great tit. the coal tit is even smaller than the blue tit.

big differences compared to the great tit are the white spot in the back of the neck which makes the coal tit look like a tiny flying badger, and the missing "tie": the throat is black but there's no black stripe in the middle of the breast and stomach.

asteria

Post by asteria »

13.29 a nuthatch
ame

Post by ame »

thank you asteria! :thumbs:
13:28:34 a willow tit called.
13:29 the nuthatch
13:30 the coal tit again after the nuthatch.
13:31 the nuthatch again.
ame

Post by ame »

September 19

the stream stopped at 6:41 this morning. now ​it seems that the stream has been turned off for good.
asteria

Post by asteria »

:hi: to all!

That is possible, but last seasons the camera was turned off some time later.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Camera was not turned off, but seems there is not enough light to charge the batteries.
To save the batteries, we will remove cam system from the woods. Hopefully soon.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

It was another good season in front of camera. It was made good by birds there in nest, as well as by observers (including forum members) here and there. I'm proud about you all!

What went not so good? Two transmitters stay on self not used and two juveniles flew out of nest not tracked and we can't see about their success. Hence, maybe once later.
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Urmas wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm It was another good season in front of camera...
Thank you, Urmas, and you, and the whole team of assistants, thanks to the volunteers, observers and administrators of various topics. A wonderful website was created, a forum accessible to everyone. Every year I see more and more progress in monitoring black storks in Estonia and progress in helping them. I am proud to be able to share my humble observations and the fact that I have been with you all these years. Many observers have become almost a family, and the chicks of each year are like our children. I wish everyone to meet next year in this nest and this year to observe the migration of storks who were awarded transmitters. I respect you all, appreciate you and wish you all success.

If the birds are in Ukraine or on its borders, then they may be in areas where jammers work. Let's hope that our birds will quickly fly over Ukraine, and then over Syria, and that they will not fly over sewage treatment plants in Africa...
Illi

Post by Illi »

[url]https://etv.err.ee/1608709762/osoon [url]
Todays TV show where Urmas and Madis telling about our black storks.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas wrote: September 19th, 2022, 6:02 pm .... Two transmitters stay on self not used and two juveniles flew out of nest not tracked and we can't see about their success. Hence, maybe once later.
Urmas, I'm sure our Iks and Voog are doing well too!
It was a very special season. Especially because there was always enough food in this nest and it was fed for a very long time. There are no better prerequisites for a successful migration.
But it was also a very busy time for you, Ain, Dr Madis and the volunteers. Thanks again to everyone who made it possible for this season to end successfully, not only for Bonus. The little ones in the nest and the parents also benefited from your efforts :2thumbsup:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Illi wrote: September 19th, 2022, 9:04 pm https://etv.err.ee/1608709762/osoon
Todays TV show where Urmas and Madis telling about our black storks.
Illi, thank you! :2thumbsup: I already saw it yesterday, but I was too lazy to make the video on youtube available

thumbnail shows Bonus :innocent: :innocent: on the right, Dr. Madis

more pictures
viewtopic.php?p=878693#p878693

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”